Anyone else do model rockets?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Anyone else into model rockets. Its a cheap fun hobby that me and the boy are doing. I was into it in my younger years.<br /><br />Currently designing a triple stage rocket.<br /><br />After that I want to try a parallel engine rocket.<br /><br />Ken

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Anyone else do model rockets?

No, but often my projects end with something exploding and flying through the air... :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I do make a few for the special effects business and now BATF is regulating them. If you are talking about Estes then you are safe. Check this link http://www.sararocketry.org/links.htm and you will see the differances.<br /><br />If you are serious about following it I would suggest you invest in the BATF license.<br /><br />I have made "black powder" engines that scream.<br /><br />Bob

dolluper

Captain

I don't But I watched my neibhbor and his son in the park shooting them off They made them out of old plastic 2 litre pop bottles cheap fun and went up about 40 feet was amazed

oddjob

Commander

Lots of fun. I got a park with a lake in my neighborhood. I had alot of fun building two of them for my boys years ago. both are approx. 36" inches long and one is a two stage. Have a few small ones two. We havent launched them in awhile maybe on the fourth we will. <br />My favorite is one I scrapped together from my parts junk yard fashioned with a pretty yellow Bennet Auto supply parashoot. Because of the grocery style bag/ parashoot....it can/will float long enough to retrieve after an anphibious landing. I love to launch this one on the windy days , sending the rocket at a tragetory that will allow it to ride the wind back to me. Cheap fun! Wallyworld stopped selling the supplies after 911. Need to go online now to get it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Bob, thanks for the info, right now I will stick to the off the shelf engines.<br /><br />My WalMart still sells rockets and engines. Mostly I buy the stuff at Hobby Lobby, and here lately they had a clearnece sale on some of their rockets. I bought several 15 dollar rockets for 3 dollars. They even had some C-11 engines for sale 3 dollars a pack.<br /><br />My last dual stage went so high it floated into the locked football stadium. Now I put holes in the chute to make it come down faster.<br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

Maybe they (Wallyworld) will have them in the new superstores built recently nearby. Its hard to go by the rocket isle with out buying another one. They make great gifts also. Thats how my sons, friends, father got us started before he moved away. I wanted the spy-camera rocket kit bad but I dont know if they still make it. Should have bought it when I had the chance. :(

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

When I was a little sprout, I was ate up with that hobby! I built my first SFMR when i was 10, and that phase culminated with a three-stage SF modification of the stock "Astrocam" single. It reached 2000+ft with the camera payload!<br />I got back into it with my son (a great father/son hobby), and we built an unsucessful LF single stage (blew-up 30ft off the ground), started a couple of small brush fires, that we quickly put-out....But still got cited by the fire dept.<br />We gave up the hobby when OSHA and BATF destroyed what was left of the more-fun projects while they were still on the drawing board.<br />Still, it was a hoot.

FSHKPR

Ensign

i got into when my son was younger it gave another thing to do together. then when he left i kinda put everything away in the attack. till a couple years ago my buddy son was getting into it, so i pulled out the old stuff and gave big bertha a couple of last flights. she was 6 feet tall. took the biggest engine. and went pretty good. the last flight the parachute malfunctioned and it nose dived.

Homerr

Commander

Yep! I'm still into them. Have been since my Jr. High school days.<br /><br />My latest project is the Patriot rocket. It takes 4 D engines. Can't wait to try it.<br /><br />I sure miss the big engines. They briefly allowed the E sizes, but vanished just as fast.<br /><br />I built my own tooling to start making my own engines. Fairly cheap, and you can tailor to your needs etc...<br /><br />Hope to get my son into it.<br /><br /><br />H.

ndemge

Commander

Not peronsally, but the MOPYRO group has a few guys that make 1.3G rockets, with equivelent to a 3" fireworks shell as the break.<br /><br />It's amazing how high they will go, counting seconsd between the flash and when you hear the salute is sometimes 5 seconds.

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br />I have made "black powder" engines that scream.<br />Bob
Oh yea! We used to make black powder and double the ammout sulfur.. fill up empty co2 cartridges, add long home made fuse put them in a water pipe pointing to sky and fire off.. really cool stream of smoke going through the air.. :D <br />Later we learned to put good powder (and later modern powder) in first then the BP fuel... point towards the lake.. they would scream up over the lake then explode! :eek: <br /><br />OK Ken this is off topic ;) but I did give a rocket kit to my nephew last year for Christmas. After spending two hours at a Rocket Club expo last year. Pretty cool stuff.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Homerr, they sell E size engines at the store near me. 17 bucks for three engines.<br /><br />Ken