Anybody watch Daytona?

Kenneth Brown

Captain
I missed it. Me and freind went on a trail ride. I shot a small hog so a cookout is in order later this week. We listened to the radio a little and Stewart was leading. Got back to the house to hear that Gordan had won. :( The wife said that Stewart decided to play bumper cars after the race. Sure would have liked to watch it.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Anybody watch Daytona?

I find everything about a NASCAR race except the last 5 to 10 laps really boring.<br /><br />I know there is skill involved, I raced ovals for a while, but there is so much luck involved and so many wrecks that it just doesn't seem to me like real racing. They have developed about 20% of race driving to an astonishingly high art but they still can't seem to avoid bashing each other.<br /><br />I watched because a couple of descendants of people I raced with were driving. Kyle Petty and John Andretti. Kyle survived the slaughter and finished something like 17th. Darn sight better than finishing behind the wall.<br /><br />I much prefer to watch racing with a variety of left and right turns, many gearshifts, few wrecks if any, some technical and engineering variety among the cars and even some relationship to cars that one can buy and drive.<br /><br />I guess my favorite races are the historics. Touch another car and you are black flagged and banned.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Yawn!!! and I thought NASCAR was supposed to be the biggest spectator sport? I guess not amongst boaters.

sangerwaker

Commander

I watched most of the race today. What a finish! Gordon won by passing Stewart in the last couple of laps. I do agree with JB most of the race is real boring. I also like a road course on NASCAR or other multi direction turns in any other motorsport. I was watching because they were actually waterskiing on the infield lake. I know a barefooter who is at USA Waterski HQ and he was there today. I was hoping for a glimpse, but didn't get one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

the last 30 laps were good, but as usual, too many caution laps.<br />Can't believe jr didn't close the door on gordon after he got around him.<br /><br />the stewart incident was not too bad, he just tapped jj in the wheel, causing jj to swerve and hit stewart. Both drivers said it was no big deal. Everyone else was trying to make it a big deal.<br /><br />ok now i have only 71 more races to watch to see if k. schreoder can win one.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Yep, really boring race till the last 30 laps or so.<br /><br />The smart guys know its a long race, so stay on the lead lap till the last 20 laps, then start racing.<br /><br />Most of the cars and drivers have the stamina, so that isnt too much of a factor.<br /><br />It was just good to see a Chevy win. I am not too big of a fan of Earnhart Jr either, so I prefer a Gordon win.<br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I was once really big on NASCAR about 15 years ago. As a person watchs drag racing continue to get faster each year while NASCAR is limited and held back just isn't right. The cars are tuned to closely to be competitive. Might as well watch an IROC race. I'm not going to go out of my way to keep up with who is who in NASCAR this year.

one more cast

Captain

Not a big fan but watched it all but the hour it bored me to sleep. :D The ending was a good race.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Daytona? ...hmmm... have been there a few times. I love the beach.<br /><br />yes, I watched .... the women!! :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Give me 7000 HP of pure nitro anytime.<br />This roundy round stuff puts me to sleep in about 3 seconds. :rolleyes: <br /><br />If you have never been back in the pits of one of the funny cars or top fuel dragsters when they fire them up and check stuff and then the driver 'Cracks" :eek: the throttle once and all that nitro hits you and people duck, it's funny to watch them. That stuff will make your eyes water.<br />You just can't imangine. :D <br /><br />Then when you are sitting 5 rows back in the stands on the tree line and the light goes green, your body shakes. You can't stop it, it shakes you all over. :D <br /><br />Man, hurry up June. National Trails raceway will be where it's at for sure. :)

sangerwaker

Commander

I'm desperately awaiting spring, too, Spinner. Got 2 new props to try on my boat.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea sange, but in June, the NHRA comes to the raceway in Columbus, OH. and as bad as I hate all the traffic, we always try to make it.<br /><br />Speaking of props, mine is too big. :(

sangerwaker

Commander

We've got Brainerd Int'l Raceway (BIR) a couple hours north of me. I've always wanted to go, but have never made it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

You should go one time and you will be hooked.<br />They make some good power there because of the air.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Dang, it's in May this year. I always thought it was in June.<br /><br />Oh well, Brainerd is on August 11-14 this year, you ought to go.

KaGee

Admiral

We can't all like the same things. <br />I have been to more than a few races. I enjoy it very much live at the track. TV makes the thing boring in my opinion.<br /><br />The thought I had about yesterdays finish was... how convenient... a Rick Hendrick car won... after the tragedy of last falls plane crash... that's all the media talked about most of the preceeding week... makes you wonder if there wasn't a script written before hand. :confused:

SpinnerBait_Nut

I was right. Thought my brain was fried. It was June last year but May this year. HMmmmmmm, better check my tickets more often. :D