Anybody know this Chrysler outboard?

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, was hoping some one could help me on an old Chrysler Outboard.
The Model number is 4556, and the Serial Number is 1061.
It stopped working last time on the lake and cannot start anymore.
Does any one know the Year of it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC06145s.jpg
    DSC06145s.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06135s.jpg
    DSC06135s.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anybody know this Chrysler outboard?

Well, it is a Chrysler 45, electric start, short shaft. Around 1967 judging by the plastic pinned on Chrysler logo and the all number model number. If there is a perforated plate on the back of the exhaust snout for cooling water pick-up, it is definitely no later than 1968-69. First two numbers indicate horsepower, third 5 indicates electric start and I don't remember what the 6 indicates--maybe the short shaft.

Hood and engine have obviously been repainted. The engine should be all white. The hood should be white where the logo is and metallic brown down the center raised part.

First check for spark, then check for fuel delivery and finally check compression. Those three tests will give you (and us) an idea of the problem.

As far as parts, they made a 35, 45, 50, and 55 variation of that engine. All had interchangeable parts with the exception of the pistons and crankshafts. You could even use parts from early Force 50 engines.

If you find the problem and do need parts, contact franzmarine@aol.com. With the model number he can get you almost anything you would need.

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks a lot for the information!
The engine doesn't start, occasionally it generates a big sound like bomb explosion.

Checked:
1. Spark ------ good
2. Fuel delivery ------ good
3. Compression ------ up: 120PSI Low: 110 PSI

Likely, the CYLINDER HEAD GASKET needs to be replaced.
The CYLINDER HEAD should be changed too since the lower spark could not be installed tightly (a little bit loose due to damaged threads)

Here I attached more pictures for reference.

DSC06138s.jpg

DSC06141s.jpg

DSC06146s.jpg

DSC06150s.jpg

fucawi

Banned

There is no 4556 listed but clearly yours is 4556 but that style of numbering only seems to be used in 1968/9...4554 and 4555 are 69 and 4551 and 4552 68. You have certainly found an error in the Iboats model/year listing .

Critical to good running are those contact breakers at 20 thou and a good keyway in the flywheel ..85 ft lb on the nut ...I have a 35 hp model and a manual if you need information

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

The loud bang is probably due to a sheared flywheel key causing the engine to go out of timing. Indeed, I can see in the photo that the points cam is displaced about 90 degrees from the slot in the crankshaft. The key is an elongated one that not only locates the flywheel, but locates AND drives the cam.

Before replacing the flywheel, clean the rust off the crankshaft and the inside mating surface of the flywheel. Do this with a small bit of fine lapping compound or a mix of oil and abrasive sink cleaner. Put a small amount on the crankshaft and install the flywheel WITHOUT the key. Rotate it back and forth about 90 degrees for a couple of times then relocate about 90 degrees and rotate again. Do this until you have completed 360 degrees. By this time, both surfaces should be clean and lapped to each other for a locking taper fit when the nut is torqued. Remove the flywheel and clean both surfaces, install the key, and reinstall the flywheel with correct torque on the nut.

While the points look good, since the flywheel is off, clean and gap them to .020 anyway. Lubricate the felt wicks, which are missing, with a very small amount of heavy oil to provide lubrication to the rubbing blocks yet not be flung off to foul the points. I don't know where to buy wicks, none were ever missing on my engines. However, they are rectangular white felt pieces that go into the slots in the point plates and wipe against the cam.

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all the replies for the great helpful information.
When removed the flywheel, I found the KEY was broken to 3 pieces (please refer attached pictures).
That's probably the reason why the engine doesn't work.
So, now, we need these items:
1. the KEY
2. the CYLINDER HEAD GASKET or a Gasket set

Please let me know if you have the items.

We also need instructions on how to adjust the cam to its right position. Any special tools required?

Best regards!

DSC06157s.jpg

DSC06155s.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

WOW! You had a joker work on that engine before you: I have NEVER seen anyone drill the starter flange to balance a flywheel--It can be reattached in the incorrect position 120 degrees off, possibly causing a worse imbalance condition than he was trying to correct. The correct way is to drill the flywheel rim. If you ever remove that flange, mark it and the flywheel BEFORE taking it off.

Flywheels are balanced at the factory: WHY did the previous owner try to rebalance it? That flywheel is now suspect to me and if it were mine, I would see if I could get a good used one off the auctions. ANY magneto ignition flywheel from Chrysler 45,50,55 up to early Force 50 engines WITH MAGNETO IGNITION will fit it. Way too expensive to buy new.

As above, check with Franz for the parts.

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

The most stupid thing happened:
When the owner took the motor to a mechanic to adjust/align the cam, the guy unbelievably pulled the crankshaft with a puller and then the PLATE was broken! Some other parts may be damaged too :facepalm:

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

After lot of hard work, the motor finally was fixed.
It works pretty good for a 40+ year old motor.

I just want to thank you all guys so much for the help and advice. It really helped me. :)

So you got her running, but how did you repair the broken plate?
Also, did you reuse the flywheel or find a good used one?
last, did you or the former owner hire the mechanic to pull the cam? If you hired him, did he fix it for free? Sounds like he wasn't familiar with that outboard, to say the least.

Glad to see you got her running! Enjoy the water!

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

So you got her running, but how did you repair the broken plate?
Also, did you reuse the flywheel or find a good used one?
last, did you or the former owner hire the mechanic to pull the cam? If you hired him, did he fix it for free? Sounds like he wasn't familiar with that outboard, to say the least.

Glad to see you got her running! Enjoy the water!

Right, he wasn't familiar with that outboard, he is a heavy machine mechanic, not an outboard mechanic.
He fixed it for free. ;)
The flywheel is ok. we reused it.

Unfortunately, this motor still has some problems.
When put it in water, it won't go forward.
After re-adjust the shift rod and tested few more times, it won't go both forward and backword:facepalm:

We checked the low unit gear case oil, it's milky.
There seems we have some more hard work on the low unit/gear case:redface:

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a picture for the Gears.
We can see clearly the Clutch jaws are rounded.

DSC06240s.jpg

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

Forward gear
clutch jaws: excessive wear

DSC06238s.jpg

Well, at least the engine runs now, one less thing to worry about. I also have a Chrysler with shifting issues (it won't), I will soon tackle disassembling the Lower Unit and see what I can see. When I take mine apart I expect to see worn clutch jaws also. Any chance they are repairable by welding and grinding back into shape? Is the only option to replace with new gears or gears from a similar outboard? I'm pretty sure buying used or repairing gears are my only options. I hope I can repair them.

Do you think that the worn clutch jaws (dogs) are the main problem? Did you hear the jaws "grinding" but not engaging when attempting to go forward? How about after adjusting the shift linkage?

If you get them repaired, please include pics of clutch before reassembly, and good luck with the fastest, cheapest, and easiest fix there is.

Ranger118

Seaman Apprentice

So, we need to change/replace/fix the Forward Gears / Backward Gears and Clutch Dog.
In Toronto Canada, the price would be $1000+!!!:( Which is more expensive than an used boat+motor:facepalm:
So, we decided to repair / Sharpening the wear jaws.
My brother helped us and made it perfectly!:p

DSC06255s.jpg

Will reassemble them tomorrow. Wish everything will be fine this time:cool:

Well, at least the engine runs now, one less thing to worry about. I also have a Chrysler with shifting issues (it won't), I will soon tackle disassembling the Lower Unit and see what I can see. When I take mine apart I expect to see worn clutch jaws also. Any chance they are repairable by welding and grinding back into shape? Is the only option to replace with new gears or gears from a similar outboard? I'm pretty sure buying used or repairing gears are my only options. I hope I can repair them.

Do you think that the worn clutch jaws (dogs) are the main problem? Did you hear the jaws "grinding" but not engaging when attempting to go forward? How about after adjusting the shift linkage?

If you get them repaired, please include pics of clutch before reassembly, and good luck with the fastest, cheapest, and easiest fix there is.

steve tregea

Recruit

I have a murcury 150 black max yr 82 and 2 cylenders are not firing #2 and #6 can u help

So I may be new to outboards, but I have one piece of advice. I would highly recommend making sure the parts fit snugly together before reassembly. You probably already did, but grinding the teeth unevenly, either by not matching the angle, or by making some teeth narrower or wider than others, would possibly make it harder to get into or slip out of gear. Make sure when dry fitting that all clutch teeth match the angle of the other side in all three different positions, so you don't end up with only two of three teeth engaging the dog at once. Just my $.02... Your repair looks great from here, way to not Bust Out Another Thousand just yet!
I am likely to need to repair my gears also, but I will attempt to weld a few nice beads onto each rounded tooth, then grind down to (hopefully) exactly where the original part made a sharp corner. Your method will work fine too, but I am thinking this might have to happen every second or third year of regular use. Therefore I want to leave every possible bit of metal I can intact so I can fix it again next time if need be. (Hope it never needs it, but I'd rather be prepared)
Good luck with reassembly, can't wait to hear that she shifts fine and runs like a top to boot! Hooray for Yankee.. I mean Canadian...ingenuity!