Anybody here work out?????

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
I and my wife have started to work out at the Gym. Its a state of the art gym and has everything you can imagine for fittness nuts. Heres the deal Im trying to put on about 15-20 lbs of muscle she tryin to lose weight, so anybody who may have some tipe for us I would really really really appretiate them. Also has anybody here heard of or use creatine? thanx in advance. ;)

tommays

Admiral
Re: Anybody here work out?????

f605432d.jpg
<br /><br /><br />i broke to many bones and other damage staying in good shape so now i just swim ,walk and ride a very littel bit ;) <br /><br />theres pretty much nothing you need that you cant get out of a proper diet and maybe a vitiam<br /><br />tommays

LubeDude

Admiral

"ANYBODY HERE WORK OUT".<br /><br />Yes, Im working outside today, the weather is beautifull today. :D :D

ZmOz

Captain

A few months ago I dusted off my bike and decided to go for a ride. A mile later I was laying on the ground vowing never again to ride anything without a throttle... :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

12 ounce curls for me, sometimes I step up to 16 ounce. :D <br /><br />Ken

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

If you want to bulk up, hit the weights and drink you creatine. But don't, I repeat, don't drink the creatine if you're not working out. It will still take quite a while to gain 15-20 lbs, though. Tell the wife to stick with very light lifting and aerobic style workouts if she's wanting to lose some weight.<br /><br />Also, if this gym is stae-of-the-art, then there should be people around to help you with the specifics on how to get the results you want.

FSHKPR

Ensign

wow your trying to gain weight? dam i wish i had that problem. as far working out i usually get a good routine going and stick with it for a few months to year and then something messes me up and off. its so hard to get started again. two summers ago i was doing great on my mountain bike doing about 10 miles a day in under an hour. dont know what happen but i got out of the routine and the poor bike was not rode untill just the other day. i took it up to the cottage and figured i would give it try. got on it and started riding did not feel to bad, looked down at the trip meter and it said 21/2 miles been gone 11 minutes. then i saw the sunset bar and grill sign and felt very thirsty. not wanting to dehydrate i figured i better i stop in. two margaritas later i was on my way back to cottage. a little slower but not in danger of dehydration. i really could stand to get back in some kind of regular exercise program. i am not interested in bulking up or even getting skinny. but i would like to lose 30 or 40 pounds.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Well im 6ft 175 lbs and Im pretty active and play alot of sports with my kids and things of that nature so thats why I want to bulk up a bit.My oldest got bigger and stronger to me :( There are people to talk to at the gym, mrbscott, I really dont want to pay for a personal trainer......Im mean I have yet to ask a question an here and not get some good advise :) well and maybe some not so good advise.I bought some creatine and I have been doing heavy lifting and work outs every other day and cardio on the other days. Even if I cant reach the 15-20 lbs I at least want to gain some and tone up. As for the wife she is doing alot of cardio every day and some light wieght but many reps with weights. Kenimpzoom I quit that work out about 5 yrs ago ( as amatter of fact 5 yrs ago this month)

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Running steps is a good cardio workout. At our local community college we used to run up and down these steps that joined the main campus to our lower parking lot. It was called "Cardiac Lane" go figure. About 160 steps I think from the very bottom with about 10ft level spots seperating flights, each flight about 1 story high. They used to run the track/x-country teams up and down them on rainy days since it was covered.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I've thought about working out, but the doc says I'm in pretty good shape for being 49. Maybe it is the cutting of trees into fire wood, splitting, stacking, and then I do a lot of digging on the property. Plus at work always moving equipment, up/down ladders, crawling on my belly in crawl spaces, and then after work is the 12oz curls like Ken does.<br /><br />I wore one of those things that McDonalds had that told you how much you would walk in a day. My average in a work week is 15 miles a day.<br /><br />So No, I don't go work out. Sorry I can't help you on any tips Mike

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike, <br /><br />Creatine is ok, but not necessarily if you want to bulk up. Creatine is for giving you many, many short blasts of energy, this is why many football players take it. It will not build muscle mass. If you want to build muscle, get a protein and carbohydrate shake mix and follow directions. As Tom stated, make sure you are eating right, and to put on weight, muscle or fat, you have to eat more calories than you burn.<br /><br />To lose weight, burn more calories than you take in. Aerobics, light weightlifting with many reps will add muscle mass, while at the same time allowing for greater fat burning. Muscle by volume weighs more than fat. In other words, 5 pounds of muscle compared to 5 pounds of fat takes up less space. So your wife may not lose weight, she would add muscle while losing fat, allowing her to lose inches which is really what most people are after.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />John

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey John,<br /> I have uped my protein and calorie intake and I am doing my best to eat right. Your right my wife wants to lose size and doesnt care about wieght so she is doing like you said, lighter weight more reps......now me I uped my weight and am doing less reps. Thanx for the advise :)

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I started heavily working out in January after about 4 years off. I used creatine for the first two but really found it did nothing for me. Here are my two favorite sites to keep up on things and for new work outs.<br /><br /> Davin's Bodybuilding and Fitness <br /><br />Intense Workout - My Favorite One <br /><br />Basically, try the 10 - 8 - 6 rule. Enough weight to do 10 then 8 then 6 reps. More weight less reps for strength and muscle building. Once a week try for a workout that you go until failure (lift until you can't lift anymore for 3 sets). And remember, carbohydrates, protein, and fat are your friends to building muscle (protein the most, 2-3g for every pound you weigh, and about 50g after a good workout, supplements are good for that)<br /><br />For losing weight, cardio, cardio, cardio. Only gauranteed way to loose weight. And for both, 1 hour 3 -4 times a week. Check out the sites and read through them well. LOTS of great tips.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I have a firm policy about exercise<br /><br />When I feel like doing something energetic, I lay down until the feeling goes away. :D :D :D

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mike,<br /><br />It's tough to maintain proper diet and exercise in today's fast paced world. Do your best, and that is all you can do.<br /><br />John

CJY

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chris,<br /><br />100 ft below the sea adds alot of compression to your body. Some say the camera adds 10 pounds, while I say diving down 100 ft. removes 15 pounds. :) Swimming that deep must burn many calories...any idea how many?<br /><br />John

achris

More fish than mountain goat

John,<br /><br />I've hear that it take 1,000 calories just to gear up, and get to the bottom.<br /><br />Chris.......

Skinnywater

Commander

Last winter my wife and I were doing 25-30 miles steep cross-country miles a week with light backpacks. <br />My wife had recovered from a knee injury from the prior winter. This year after 4 months I developed some knee pains and cut way back.<br />I started doing some pretty good weight training but here again my acheing joints (elbows and knees)really keep me from being 100% fit.<br />Just turned 50, at 5'10", 200#, a 35in waist. My two son in laws and one daughters boyfriend still call me sir.<br />Two years ago I had a BP of 170/110 and the Doc wanted to put me on pills. I said no, let me try to do it myself. A couple of weeks ago it measured 120/85.<br />I am having a pretty rough time with my joints, I don't think I can keep at this pace.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Two years ago I had a BP of 170/110 and the Doc wanted to put me on pills. I said no, let me try to do it myself. A couple of weeks ago it measured 120/85.<br />I am having a pretty rough time with my joints, I don't think I can keep at this pace.<br /><br />
I have the same problem as high blood pressue runs in my family. I work out on weights and ride a trainer 5 days a week and cycle about 100 miles<br />over the weekend. My normal blood pressure 15 years ago was 130/95. Now it is 120/70. I have been working out for about 25 years and have seen a lot of people come and go in the gym. Most people just want to gain muscle or lose weight. You have to have a lot of patience and make it a lifestyle for it to work. Best advise I could give is get a dedicated training partner (your wife?). It helps you motivate and challenge each other.<br /><br />Skinnywater, I had some problems with joints when I used to run. I started cycling and do not have anymore knee problems. I don't lift quite as much as I used to and I have learned over the years to take it easy or slow down when I have an injury.