Anybody ever used multi purpose oil?

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have some valvoline multi purpose 2 stroke oil laying around, says rated at tcw3. Is this an ok oil to use it says it can be used in air cooled engines as well. Is this an advanced formula or does it just do a crappy job for both types? The other option I was considering was evinrude/Johnson partial synthetic for less smoke and a better burn. Was thinking around 20:1 ratio. Any thoughts?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
20:1 is a high oil ratio. Your 3hp is a '64(?) -- 50:1 would be fine, 40:1 if you haven't played with it yet, and want to be cautious. Too much oil, though, and you usually just foul plugs.

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
20:1 is a high oil ratio. Your 3hp is a '64(?) -- 50:1 would be fine, 40:1 if you haven't played with it yet, and want to be cautious. Too much oil, though, and you usually just foul plugs.

I’ve heard differing opinions on that, since there are bushings instead of bearings more oil is needed. I figured I’d play it safe

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I doubt a firm like Valvoline would risk damages to it's reputation with a crappy oil.

How can it accomplish both though? Cool running outboards and hot running high revving garden tools require much different oil properties

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
How can it accomplish both though? Cool running outboards and hot running high revving garden tools require much different oil properties

I agree but the liability issue remains..middle ground is never perfect but since you have "some" valvoline good for TCW3 keep it for the kicker only and don't destroy the chainsaw /lawnmower. oil is cheap even more so these days

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
I agree but the liability issue remains..middle ground is never perfect but since you have "some" valvoline good for TCW3 keep it for the kicker only and don't destroy the chainsaw /lawnmower. oil is cheap even more so these days

I use husquavarna oil in the saw so I’ll keep 2 cans separate. When I’m done with the valvoline I think I’ll switch to the evinrude semi synthetic to get a cleaner burn and less carbon

LargemouthBass21

Petty Officer 1st Class
Certified for marine use: https://www.nmma.org/certification/oil/tc-w3 What brand you choose is pretty much a matter of preference (and long threads). Higher risk is probably for non-marine use.

Check in the stickies at the top of the repair forum for links to a lot of info on pre-'64 motors.

Will do thanks! I’m not planning to use it in non marine engines so I should be good to go

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a couple of bottles of this hanging around (both Valvoline and Pennzoil made it) but I use Echo 2 stroke oil for all my air cooled 2 strokes except the Toro snow blower (Suzuki 5 hp 2 stroke), Toro has always spec'd TCW-III for these since they do not rev high (like 3600 rpm) and run in the cold all the time. Their reasoning is that the TCW-III is ashless and will not result in as much deposits. I use Pennzoil fully syn TCW-III in that (can't get this any more but still have most of a gallon left). For any high revving air cooled 2 stroke use the oil for air cooled 2 strokes.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This is your answer... ^^^

It can't be both...

Use a TCW-3 or TCW-4 in your water cooled engines (generally outboards), and use an oil designed for air cooled 2 strokes in your garden tools/motorcycles...

Chris.......

matt167

Captain
it depended on the manufacture.. For instance Lawnboy and later some Toro stuff was spec to use TCW3 oil, and that is what lawnboy oil was. However that makes some sense as OMC produced lawnboy, and Toro bought lawnboy I think in the 1990's so that is where that connection comes from.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I guess the 'take away' is as always. Use what the equipment manufacturers recommend. Stray for that recommendation at your own peril.

The only advice we can offer here is to use the manufacturer's recommendation. If you wish to use something different, consult the manufacturer. Any post of "I use xxx, and it's fine", if it's not recommended, is just 'anecdotal', and iboats can't endorse using oils (and anything else) that is outside equipment maker's recommendations.

Chris.......

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I have some valvoline multi purpose 2 stroke oil laying around, says rated at tcw3. Is this an ok oil to use it says it can be used in air cooled engines as well. Is this an advanced formula or does it just do a crappy job for both types? The other option I was considering was evinrude/Johnson partial synthetic for less smoke and a better burn. Was thinking around 20:1 ratio. Any thoughts?

It is in fact certified by NMMA. You can check that on NMMA's website. It will, therefore, be just as suitable for any 2 stroke outboard for which a TCW3 certified oil is specified as any other TCW3 certified oil.

Whether or not iBoats endorse its use is irrelevant.