Anybody else use a push reel lawn mower?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Anybody else use a push reel lawn mower?

Originally posted by jsfinn:<br /> <br />I wonder what makes the old manual ones cut better than the gas mowers?
They slice each blade like a pair of sissors. <br /><br />Any little stick will stop it cold, though, so I have to pick up sticks before I mow, but only the ones that lay on top of the grass or stick up higher than the cutting height. It just passes right over the top of anything else laying down in the grass. The St. Augustine is pretty easy to cut - don't think I'd want to try it with Bermuda.<br /><br />Easy to sharpen - just get some automotive valve grinding grease at Pepboys, put a little on the blades & spin 'em a few times.

notinbig

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope, 42 inch 17.5 horse Briggs, at about 9MPH, 1/2 acre in about 25-30 minutes :D :D :D

Realgun

Commander

When we first gor the house I planted 1000 sq feet of grass. I used the reel mower. 2 years later I used the elecric mower. 4 years later got me a gas mower. To fat and lazy to use a push mower now. But the kids getting big enough to push a reel mower. hmmm.... :D

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Ya know, the type that thinks that diversity training, at work, will get him into Heaven.<br />
Thanks a lot I now have to clean the soda off my desk. :D :D :D

D

DJ

I use a power reel mower. It does a much better job of cutting the grass than a rotary mower. It's much less likely to scalp.