Anybody Do Any Meat Smoking?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Herself and I have just recently been introduced to smoking meat by my SIL sister. She has a large smoker she uses. Fantastic taste. Takes a while but it's well worth the wait. Anybody have any special seasoning or marinating they would like to pass along? How about any type of wood used for the smoker. *drool* getting hungry.....

DangerDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Anybody Do Any Meat Smoking?

I smoke a lot of fish. Mostly Salmon & Trout. Try this:<br /> In a 5 gal bucket I put in 3 gal. water<br />2 cups Morton’s Kosher Salt (3 if you like it saltier)<br />1 cup white sugar<br />2 cups brown sugar (3 if your using 3 cups salt)<br />1/4 cup Worchester Sauce<br />2 Tbls. Garlic Powder<br />1 lb. Honey<br />1/3 cup lime juice<br />1/4 cup soy sauce<br /><br />Mix ingredients in the water and soak the fish in the brine for about 9 to 12 hrs. take the fish out of the brine and rinse it off, patt it dry and leave it set a while. after you get the fish dried out a bit and it gets that translucent shiny look to it. Start smoker and get the coals or chips going. I usually use apple and somethimes mix alder, mesquite, apple and hickory. I generally only smoke my fish for 2 to 3 hours at 150 to 180 deg F. (I got a fridge smoker and it kicks butt) Some do it different but thats how I do it. I'd do a lot of taste testing to see where that line is between too dry and too limp at the first batch.

aspeck

Staff member

I smoke a lot of wild game, and one of my favorite marinades is a mixture of honey, kosher salt, garlic salt or just gresh garlic, soy or worchestershire sauce, italian seasonings, and apple juice or cider. Sorry I cannot give you quantities, because I mix to cover the meat and then marinade it over night. Next day it goes into the smoker and the marinade goes into my water pan, then fill the pan with water. I like to "moisture smoke" my meats to keep them a little more juicey and tender. I like to mix apple and hickory or a small amount of mesquite and hickory. Soak your wood chips in water for a couple hours - they will smoke better and longer. YUM! Enjoy!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Been smokin' boston butts for a while now for pulled pork BBQ. About 20 lb. at a time. Usually just rub meat down w/salt/pepper prior to smokin'. Have tried rubs, but they wash off when meat begins to render. <br /><br />Add a few chunks of hickory. You can also use apple, maple, oak or cherry. Mesquite is a bit strong for me. Stay away from evergreens. I tried soaking wood and not. Doesn't make any difference. Water has to leave before smoke starts. <br /><br />Usually use a water pan with only water. It's purpose is a heat sink, not for flavoring. Do a search for BBQ and you'll find a wealth of sites devoted to smoking meat.<br /><br />Finished product freezes well, but best with a foodsaver.

Link

Rear Admiral

When you get ready to do a Turkey try the Ultimate Brine for Turkey given to me by Boomyal here on iboats... <br />He gave this to me last year in Nov... here is my post to him<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=007119#000000 <br /><br />We didnt have a big enough pot for the Turkey but found one at K-Mart for about 12 bux. And we used Apple juice.<br />Ive had now I think 8 people request the recipe<br /><br /><br />BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY <br />Master Recipe <br /><br /><br /> <br />1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt** <br />**See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt <br />1 1/4 cups, brown sugar <br />10 whole cloves <br />3 teaspoons, black peppercorns <br />1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic) <br />the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith) <br />optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage <br /><br /><br /> <br />Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely. <br /><br />Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid). <br /><br />Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual. <br /><br />*Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird). <br /><br /><br />** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid. <br /><br />**TYPES OF SALT: <br />Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ½ tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt. <br /><br /><br /> <br />Variations:<br />*A listener called last year to report that using beer instead of juice resulted in a wonderful flavor - she even used Guiness, a more bitter-tasting beer - and loved it!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not everything needs to be cured or marinated.<br />Try a pork loin, coated with seasonings, smoke for 2-3 hours at 125-140*. Then wrap in foil and raise the temp to 225 for an hour till done inside.<br /><br />Use clean wood to smoke, that is wood with no bark, as the sap it contains will give a tainted bitter flavor, and coat the smoker and meat with a tar like substance.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

OBJ, I agree with roscoe.<br /><br />I built a smoker from an old single door metal refrigerator. Took the freezer part out, put a stainless rack in the top 1/4 of the box, a large pan in the bottom (to hold 8 to 10 lbs of charcoal), holes in the front of the pan (for ventilation), a flap cut through the bottom of the door, a vent pipe in the top and you're good to go.<br /><br />I would take a 15 to 20 lb turkey, rub with Morton seasoning salt, get the coals hot and put the turkey on. Turn the bird over at 4 hours, again at 8 hours and add some moistened hickory chips to the coals for flavor, then at 12 hours take the bird off and enjoy some of the most tender and moist turkey you have ever eaten.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Be careful when doing poultry. Internal temps need to get to AT LEAST 160*. Get a temp probe at walmart.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

How the heck do you keep the meat from going out in the Bong?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

We did a pork roast today. Rubbed it down with garlic salt and pepper and smoked it with hickory. Herself made a glaze with honey and someother stuff....shows ya' what I know....and basted it every so often. Really good. Have to find out what she used in the baste....<br /><br />Not much left...the kids came up and we made a day of it out in front of the garage.....nice day all around. <br /><br />Thank's for the recipe's.....I'll try them all probably.... :) Right now I got a crock pot full of soup beans cooking. Seems I do a lot more cooking these days since I retired......I like it!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> Herself and I have just recently been introduced to smoking meat by my SIL sister. She has a large smoker she uses. Fantastic taste. Takes a while but it's well worth the wait...
Tries it once, but the paper got wet and was too hard to light... :D :D :D

rwise

Captain

Edit: and I may add more later!<br /><br />I use only wood to smoke with, Hickory, Apple, Pecan, Black walnut, Cherry, White oak (post oak), Black jack (another oak), Mesquite. Any fruit or nut tree. A blend of at least 5 types. (my nephew work for a tree service)<br /><br />Heres a good starter!<br />Take seedless oranges, slice them into 1/2" thick slices (the amount is determined by the crowd). Next 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to 1 cup powdered sugar, mix well. coat orange slices with powdered sugar mixture and place over HOT coals. Turn when browned slightly, brown and serve hot before the meal (I try to get away with 1 slice per person, good luck)<br /><br />creole rub<br />2 1/2 tablespoons paprika <br />1 tablespoons salt <br />2 tablespoons garlic powder <br />1 tablespoon black pepper <br />1 tablespoon onion powder <br />1 tablespoon cayenne pepper <br />1 tablespoon dried oregano <br />1 tablespoon dried thyme <br />Combine all ingredients thoroughly. <br />Yield: about 2/3 cup <br /><br />Ok now take 1 cup red wine, 1/2 cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the rub and blend on high until well blended, inject this into a brisket, leave all that fat on it! Rub with dry spice mix. (works well for chicken or pork also) Smoke brisket for 6 hours at 180* remove from smoker and place it in an oven bag. Return to smoker (or finish in oven) at 250* for 12 hours (at least 6 hours). Remove and let rest for 10 minutes, the remove from bag and (slice if you can) chop and serve. beans, slaw, potato salad, chips, onions, pickles, all go well with this.<br /><br />apples (Granny Smith)<br />butter<br />brown sugar<br />cinnamon or apple pie spice<br /><br />Mix about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (per apple) with 1 teaspoon of butter and a little spice (remember per apple). Core apple/s fill hole with sugar mix, rap with aluminum foil (each apple). Place over HOT coals for about 45 minutes, will be soft when squeezed. Serve after the meal.

Ron G

Commander

easy ribs on propane,take a rack put in a pan add a beer salt pepper and applejuice cover put grill on hot put the ribs on,for 5 minutes,while ribes are on take hicory chips wrap in foil i do 3 of them take ribs off draine everthig put 1 of the foil with chips on tne flame and the others on first rak then take the ribs add dry rub thruoghly put on top rack by that time there should be smoke by now keep eye on turn in one hour,last five minutes put your sauce on if you wish or just eat as is,nice side put some corn on the cobb on there the last 45 minutes in the huskys,all turn off one side when you put the ribs on and cut heat down on low.

LadyFish

Admiral

Mr. LF makes this all the time and everyone including me raves about it. I discovered it when I went to Tenessee last year and have been hooked ever since.<br /><br /><br />Low And Slow Pulled Pork<br /><br />1 Boston Butt roast, about 5 pounds<br /><br />Rub:<br /><br />1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar<br />1⁄2 cup granulated garlic<br />1⁄2 cup kosher salt<br />1⁄2 cup paprika<br />2 tablespoons granulated onion<br />1 tablespoon dry mustard<br />1 tablespoon Creole seasoning<br />1 tablespoon chili powder<br />1 tablespoon ground red pepper<br />1 tablespoon ground cumin<br />1 tablespoon ground black pepper<br /><br />Sauce (we double this recipe):<br /><br />3/4 cup cider vinegar<br />1/2 cup ketchup<br />1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce<br />1 garlic clove, minced<br />1/4 cup chili sauce<br />2 tablespoons chopped onion<br />1 tablespoon brown sugar<br />1 tablespoon lemon juice<br />1/2 teaspoon dry mustard<br />Dash of ground red pepper<br /><br /><br />Hardwood chips, soaked in water for 1 hour (we use pecan chunks)<br /><br />Apple juice, for spritzing<br /><br />Cooking Directions<br />Stir together all rub ingredients in a bowl. Store in an airtight container. Set aside.<br /><br />Stir together all ingredients for the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes.<br /><br />Divide sauce into separate containers for basting and servings at the table. (Basting brushes used on raw food should not be dipped into table sauce.) Use as a basting sauce during the last 10 minutes of cooking for steak, pork, burgers, or chicken. Discard any remaining basting sauce, and refrigerate any leftover table sauce.<br /><br />If needed, trim the fat back to about 1⁄8 inch thick on shoulder. Sprinkle meat generously with rub, massaging it into the meat. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill overnight in the refrigerator.<br /><br />Smoking a large piece of meat takes a long time, so you’ll need to get an early start. Prepare your smoker or grill until the temperature reaches 250 degrees F. Take the meat out of the refrigerator, and let it sit for about 30 to 45 minutes. Having the pork at room temperature is very important, because if you put it on the smoker cold, the outer portion will burn.<br /><br />Smoke is one of the main ingredients of good barbecue. Soak hickory wood chips (or any other hardwood chips used for barbecuing) in water overnight. This prevents them from burning. The chips smolder, producing smoke that flavors the meat during the cooking process. The smoke also lends a pink color to the outer inch or so of the flesh, creating what is called a “smoke ring.” A handful of wood chips should be added to the fire every 30 minutes or so. The more you add, the stronger flavor of smoke you get.<br /><br />Place meat on the smoker fat side down. After two hours, turn the meat over so it is fat side up. Total cook time will be 1 1⁄2 hours per pound. Maintain the temperature in the smoker between 225 degrees F and 250 degrees F. Use a pit thermometer for an accurate reading If the smoker temperature is hotter than 250 degrees F, the meat will cook too quickly; any lower than 225 degrees F, and the meat will not get done. Every time wood chips or charcoal is added, spritz the meat with apple juice from a spray bottle. This will add moisture and a fruity background flavor during cooking.<br /><br />Remove the meat from the smoker with two hours remaining, and place on heavy-duty aluminum foil. Spritz generously with apple juice, and tightly seal foil around pork. Place meat back on the smoker, and cook for two hours more. Using an instant-read meat thermometer, check the internal temperature of the thickest part of the meat, being careful not to touch bone with the tip of the thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees F, the pork is ready. Cooking the<br />meat beyond the USDA guideline of 160 degrees F renders out the fat and tenderizes the meat.<br /><br />Remove the meat from the smoker, and let it cool for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove foil after it has cooled enough to handle. Remove the bones, which will easily pull away. Begin pulling, or shredding, the meat with two large forks, and place in a large baking dish or pan. Remove and discard any remaining fat.<br /><br />Add the sauce to pulled pork, and toss. This is a popular way to serve pulled pork in most regions. If you prefer, serve with additional sauce.<br /><br />Serves 12-14

NYMINUTE

Captain

Its too wet to light, and the paper gets a pink color to it. Rather use tobacco. :D :D

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We smoke a turkey every year in our little chief. Use Mortons curing salt, about 1 1/2 gals of cranberry juice, cup of sugar, couple cups brown sugar. Mix in a clean 5 gal buckett until sugar is disolved. Soak the turkey over night. Should come out a bright purple. Optional: Mix a small amount of maple+smoke flavoring and inject into breast, thighs with syringe. Smoke with desired wood 4 to 8 hours. Use oven bag and cook to 160. Also good in deep friers! Will be the best turkey you've ever eaten, hands down!

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

No smoke turkey anymore....no bake turkey anymore....deep fry turkey....whole. Mmmmmmm....only way to go. With cajun seasoning of course! :p :p

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, best turkey I ever had was dunked in my above recipe for 12 hours and then deep fried.

Ron G

Commander

love anthing deepfry every tried wild turkey smoked awsome,ladyfish were you find your recitein tn?tn has alot of bbq competions year round.