Anybody added a second battery to their 2212 or any starcraft

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Anybody added a second battery to their 2212 or any starcraft

Most have a second battery i Think. esp with electronics.

dozerII

Admiral

I have a second battery in my 18SS. It is mounted under the bow seat on the starboard side right in front of the console. I use it to run my acc, and trolling motor. It is a 140 amp hr Agm that weighs 104lbs. I have it and my starting battery hooked up with a 2 bank onboard charger so when you get home from the lake, plug the charger in and everything will be charged when you want to go out again.
Glen

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral

I have a second one under my center console, runs fish finders and misc. It is not hooked up to the outboard charging system. I have not had to put a charge to it since I've owned the boat, bought in August. Used for 10 days on vacation and once or twice a week after that.

Might have to look at adding the onboard charging system that Dozer mentioned, as I add more electronics. Sounds like a quick easy way to keep the battery fully charged.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

I have 3 batteries, one for the engine/panel as a house battery, and 2 in series for 24v for the electric motor and a 2bank charger.

Mine are now stored under the aft casting deck 4' fore of the transom. I had the 24v in the port side bow storage but didn't like the weight distribution so I ran the 8 gauge red/black to the rear from the bow panel plug.

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually got the parts to add mines. Hopefully tomorrow 10/16/2011 I will get it done. I purchased the extra battery, dual switch, cables and a dual bank guest charger.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

I added a second battery right beside the first. It's in the stern, next to the fuel tank. Be sure to add an isolator. That way if you run a lot of electronics, an electric trolling motor, or whatever, they can run the secondary battery down, and you will still have your charge left in the main battery to start the engine to recharge the both of them. I'm not quite sure about dual switches, but I've used enough isolators in automotive uses to trust them. If done properly, you charge both batteries but only draw on one, or the other. And you can draw off them at the same time.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yep got 2 in my boat. One is in the stern to the port side of the engine, the other one is under the port side seat. I have a battery switch so I generally swap between batteries. If I know I will be running engine basically all day with no shut down I will run on both. I have a volt meter in the dash that will tell me if my alternator stops charging if that happens I run for home.
Since my kicker motor is on the starboard side the batteries help balance the boat out.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Yep, mine has two, one port and one starboard, would not leave dock without two, that boat is way to big to paddle back to shore. I have the switch to go from one bat to the other, follow the instructions...no big deal.

Airshot

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have 2 Batt. also with a switch. Also keep a starting batt. in the work box just to be safe. Had to use the one in my truck on a trip to a station from the freeway when the alternator went out and battery in van went dead. A real life saver. I keep one in every rig we use even the wifes new van. you never know and could also help someone else out if needed.