Any Volvo 270/ford pros ?

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice
I have two volvopenta 270 outdrives that bolt up to ford smallblocks. One is a hollman Moody the other I have no idea. The "case" between the bellhousing and transom shield is called what? It has what I would call a intermediate drive shaft that has two male splines.One catches the flex plate on the flywheel the other mounts to universal shaft going to the transmission.The Holman Moody and the other have identical d.shafts.The difference between the two and I would like opinions on which to use is this.The h/m has only one sealed bearing part number bca 5206vdd. The other has two bearings riding on the dshaft and are grease zirk bearings.Thanks Barry

f_inscreenname

Commander
Re: Any Volvo 270/ford pros ?

First thing I would do is see which one’s have the least amount of play with the shafts. Pick the one’s that are the tightest. Mine is all one piece (bellhousing and shaft box) with a single bearing. The next thing is to check how long both sets of bellhousings are in length. You want the motor to set in the same place as it did before.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Everything is identical exept bearing setup.Mark the piece I'm talking about that bolts to the bellhousing can be removed.It is sealed with a donut like seal at transom shield.I didnt break this seal however just pulled c-clips and pressed bearings out.

f_inscreenname

Commander

“Mark the piece I'm talking about that bolts to the bellhousing can be removed.”<br />Sure it can be. You have to remove the 8 or 6 bolts from the outside of the shield that hold the outside ring on. After you get the bolts out they will come apart but may require a little help or that matter a lot of help coming apart. Those rubber donuts are on both sides and tend to lock things in place after a couple years. So again what I would do was make sure all the outside bolts were out, bolt the shield to the floor and grab the bellhousing with that 20 ton lift and yank the two pieces apart.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

I left that intermediate thing bolted to the transom shield.I got the bearings and shaft out with my new 20 ton press!Scared the **** out of me when it gave. Any reason to seperate it? I was just going to wipe rubber seal with 100% silicone.<br />Gotta supplier for bca 5206 vdd sealed bearings? Also the national seal 450452 is double walled.Weird.I'm guessing the h/m setup is more highperm. and the other "zerk" is maintance freindly.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Try Cobe Marine http://www.cobemarine.com/ (sorry iboats, you guys dont have this stuff) and talk to Joe in parts. He knows his crap about those bell housings. That is where I found mine. He is also the one who found out that my bell housing was made by Chrysler and not Volvo. That place is so wild. On a semi back road. Looks like a small bait shop (they do have bait). Go inside and they have all kinds of stuff from the newest motors and drives to...well bait. The parts counter still uses micro film projectors and catalogs, some have to be antiques. The best thing is I never walked out of there with out finding a part. I have had some sticker shock but if there is one place to get it at then they are also the cheapest place to get it at. <br />“Any reason to separate it?”<br />Yes! You will need to mount the transom shield separate to make sure it sits right. Then before you install the motors you bolt up the bell housing and everything that goes inside. I also install all the stuff that goes on the bottom of the motor like the starter and stuff. With that done the back side of the motor kind of resembles a piece of the males anatomy (stubby as it may be) and the transoms shield resembles a piece of the females anatomy. You just slide it in and bolt it up from the outside to get a good seal. You will want the front of the motor to be still held up by a lift so the bellhousing sits in the transom shield square (not tilted down or up). Then adjust the front mounts and bolt it down. Then go back and retighten the transom ring bolts again. I always like to use a coat of RTV sealant where the rubber rings meet the shield even though some here are against it I have never had a problem or a leak.

vrod2002

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Mark Why cant I just remount the transom plates with intermediate housing attached and then drop the motor's in.Its like a standard transmission.There's only 4 bolts. Spliting that junction looks like a nightmare!<br /> Did you get my email? More coming real soon!