Any Shasta boaters out there?

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a shasta boating trip planned for this summer and am looking for some local information. A couple questions I have are regarding water levels and temp's.

Where I am, we really don't get into good boating water until July 1. We stretch it and start a couple weeks earlier and tough it out. Then the water temps start to drop pretty quickly around September 1. I am curious if you guys around shasta are playing in the water much earlier, or later than that?? I'm only 5 hours away, so this is one of the options I Have considered.

Any input would be helpful and much appreciated!!

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any Shasta boaters out there?

Go online and search Lake Shasta and you'll find all the information you need including average temps throughout the year and average water levels below the top of the dam. Warning: The water level in the lake changes dramatically from year to year and all during the year. It is a fresh water reservoir that feeds all the farmers and the Sacramento river below. As low as 80 feet bellow the dam is great. Much lower and only 2 ramps may be open, the one by Sugar Bear Lodge and Marina and Bridge Bay Marina. By late August the lake can get pretty low, but that only make for more coves and shallow land bridges between newly emerged islands. The Lake is fed by 3 different rivers, including the McCloud, Sacramento, and I always forget the name of the 3rd. I have spent a lot of time there through the years and it is my favorite lake. Water temps vary all across it from warm sauna like water up the river arms to nice and cool down by the dam even on a hot summer day. Lots of campgrounds and rentals. I highly recommend Antlers Resort which has both a campground and cabins. Also, a snack bar, store, and marina. It is in Lakehead, just off the 5. Also, recommend Sugar Bear Lodge. You can rent a one or multi-room cabin with kitchen and a boat slip is included with the rental. They will also rent you a spot to park your tow vehicle and trailer should you decide to camp on the water. If you have time, check out the Shasta Caverns. Worth the price of admission. You can get there by car or boat and a bus takes you to and from the caverns. Plan on spending at least 3 days there if you want to get to experience the entire lake. It is huge even when the water is low. Hoping to get there myself this summer to christen my finally restored new-to-me boat but depends entirely on my job situation then.

Hope you have a good time,

Jeff

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

willamettejeff, thanks for the reply. I have done some internet research, and found some general guidelines, but nothing real detailed opr substantial. I'll spend some more time and dig in a little deeper. I'll take a look at the Antlers Resort you mentioned. Not sure where off the top of my head but at this time, we are booked for the last week in August. I'm wondering if lake levels will be too low by then? What's the earliest you've been on the lake?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I've been to Shasta as early as May and as late as the last week in August. Been there when the lake was so high there were floating tree trunks everywhere and been there when it was so low only 2 ramps were functional. The lake is huge and even at its lowest I've never failed to have a great time on the water. Just makes it more interesting with the changing shoreline and new islands appearing. Just have to be more careful and not mind the very much longer walks up and down the boat ramps. Warning though, some marinas get pretty inaccessible when the water gets real low. BTW, there is an In-n-Out burger in Redding. Double-Double, Yum! Don't know what the water level will be when you get there. Depends how high it is when the season starts and whether they need to drain a huge amount of water into to Sacramento River to protect some fish from salt water intrusion into the Sacramento Delta like they did the last time I was there in 2004. Anyway, always plenty of water left for a lot of fun and a lake that still takes multiple days to fully experience.

-- Jeff

Leatherdog

Cadet

We have Lake Shasta trip planned for June 21-28 with 3 houseboats rented. We have done this every year for the last 4 years during those dates and the water is nice and the days nice and warm. I live in Bend so you must be near me.