Any one here build a BIG boat like 30ft or more?

rwerden

Cadet
Im fooling around in my boat "empty hull" and thinking to my self if im gonna do this I might as well do that. The might as well factor happens allot with me and I end up making everything more than required. <br />But it got to the point today where I found my self looking at study plans for 38-56 foot power catamarans. I mean this drives me crazy seeing these backyard boat builders log the construction of boats that are almost as big as my house. They make it look so easy. Is anyone else feeling like they want to tackle a big boat.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Any one here build a BIG boat like 30ft or more?

Oh sure.. It's EZ... (insert sarcasm here) :rolleyes: <br /><br />I had thoughts of building something up to about 25-30' a few years ago, but thought better of it.. If I did'nt have to work for a living and had absolutely nothing else to do, then, YES, I'd go for it... The bigger the better... :D <br /><br />Many of these "projects", especially big boats; take many years to complete... <br /><br />My particular on-going restoration project (21' inboard powered, openfisherman) has taken well over 18 months so far doing at least a little something everyday and it's just now to the point where it would float... The weather got me too, with plenty of rain... Still have at least a solid month of work ahead of me...<br /><br />It'll cost 4 times as much and take 4 times longer than you think...<br /><br />The yard I work at has a 53' Viking sport fish for sale that had a little fire (ok, a big fire) in the cabin and flybridge and it just screams at me to build the biggest openfisherman anyone has ever seen... Price for burned up 53footer, $100,000.. Thank ya, NO, think I'll pass on that deal..

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with snapperbait---- Biggest i've worked on is a 32' vowed never to do it again :eek: unless it was mine and i was retired :D better go and talk, face to face with some of these people first!!!!!!!!!!

rwerden

Cadet

I know, it just one of those if I won the lottery things. Something that big would take years and way more money than I have. After all if I had the money to build a boat that size I would have just bought one already built.

BillP

Captain

I did major restoration on several wood sailboats, including a new bottom on a 42'r,west system on a 32' & 40'r., full cockpit rebuilds on several, interiors on several, replace decks, canvas and interior cushions, deck up rerigs, engines, tanks, molded/poured lead ballast, new keelbolts, etc.. Just about everything you would do building a new boat. Lots of work and I did it because that was the only way I could afford to own those boats. I'd say 50% of this was fun and the other just work...manual labor the worst part.<br /><br />Building CAN be easier than rebuilding because you don't have to take out good stuff to replace bad...but building new is very time consuming. It takes years for most to build a 30' boat from scratch. It took me 1 yr just to replace a 42'r bottom working eves after my normal job and on weekends. Home built boats have about zero resale value(there are rare exceptions)if that matters to you. Build outs from a blank hull do better on resale and I think that is a great way to go. It takes major commitment to tough it out on a 3-5 yr project. If you have the drive go for it, otherwise buy a boat and enjoy.

Kenbo

Seaman

When I worked in the boatbuilding trade we built several 40 ft SORC racing sailboats and one 52 ft Transpac boat. The largest powerboat was 35 ft. A LOT of work and time involved to take on something of that size for a backyard project. Good Luck! :) :rolleyes:

Link

Rear Admiral

rwerden:<br />Don't let these guys destroy your dreams of building your 50ft Cat! What a bunch of WHIMPS! I say GO FOR IT! Evil <G>rin here :D This great advise is comming from a guy who has around 30-50 differen't on going projects all in some state of dis-order! One of which is a 14 ft river sled that I took to the factory 10 years ago to have some modes done..6 years later I got around to painting it...Hmmm that was four years ago... in 2001 I actually had an extention bracket made and bought a transom jack and hung the 90 HP pump on the back :) It wasn't until I found this forum that I started thinking about it again a couple months ago...now the grandkids are comming up for a week and at best I could put the floor boards back in and use a kicker motor to push us around! Yea take my advise :) <br /><br />Just kidding <br />My father in law bought a plastic 36ft sail boat hull and built everything below and the deck...he had the bucks, and the time... still took him 6-7 years in the side yard! Nice when finished though.<br /><br />In the spirit of fun! <br />Link

slimjim

Cadet

rwerden,<br /><br />I'm new to the site also and have just decided to get started on my "project". It's no where as big as what your thinking about, but big all the same. I figure what the heck,so what if it takes a couple of years. I'm going for it......check my post's for pix......"From a Bare Hull" and Project "Before" pictures.........<br /><br />Jim

Built 7 boats in the last 6 years.Last one was 27 foot center console,with V8 power.<br />Bigger boats are easier to build than small ones,the angles and curves are not as critical.<br />If you want to build one,go for it.<br />My last 27 foot boat was completed in 5 months and it was fiberglass over wood.Worked great.<br />Think you will find the people that say it takes to long are just to lazy to work on it.<br />thanks

slimjim

Cadet

Hey offshore classic, any pic's of that 27' C/C w/V-8 power? Sounds like my project plans.....

I drew the plans myself on a large piece of poster board.<br />Any ideas on how to transfer them to something I could mail you?<br />Want to keep the original because I might build another one.