FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
Change the water pump on their car? <br />How difficult is it?<br />Do I need any special tools? <br />I have done work on cars before but haven't done this yet.My wife has a 94 Chrysler Concorde and the dealership wants about $300.00 to fix it.
I've changed plenty of them. Some are simple and some can be a real PITA. Did one on a Honda civic once and had to pull the radiator, altenator and a bunch of other stuff just to get to it. If its easy to get to then just a handfull of bolts and its off.
Not super difficult in most cases, but some can be a major pain, as OMC said.<br /><br />Depends on how much time ya got if it's worth it or not. I can't stand to pay a shop 70-80 dollars an hour for something I can do myself.
I agree with both, some are easy, some are not. But when I do it myself I know its done right! And can change/fix anything else on the spot. The all time worst one I ever changed was on a 4 cyl. front wheel drive, had to pull a ton of stuff to get to 1 connection (to find the water pump was not the problem but the hiden 2" hose was).<br />Good luck.
It's pretty simple to do it on the 3.3l, and only a little difficult on the 3.5l. But if you're doing the 3.5l it's a good idea to replace the timing belt while you're at it. Nice thing about your Concord is it has a longitudinally mounted engine, making access pretty easy. <br />There's no special tools necessary.<br />Draining off the coolant is pretty simple too. Hardly need anything other than your fingers to do it!<br /><br />EDIT: There's not much nice I can say about the '93-'94 LHS, except you'll miss that giant engine bay when you get something new.
Thanks Paul. I just called my local mechanic and he said he could do the whole job with a new water pump for about $104.55. Sounds like a good price to me. I will be looking at it when I get home tonight to see everything you listed. Who knows one day I may have to do it again. lol