Any Musicians

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Hey Im pretty sure this has been asked before but how many of us on this board are musicians? I for one have played guitar for close to 19 yrs. Been in many bands recorded 3-4 times I now give lesson and I am getting into managing a few local acts around here, I cant find any Musicians that are serious about jammin and not into drugs and drinking where I live so I have decided the next best thing is to manage/promote some of the "younger upstarts" I know. Lets hear em' :D

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Any Musicians

Hi Mike, I spent most of the 1980's as a musician (bass guitar & vocal), before getting into computer programming - which dominated most of my time between then and now. <br /><br />I recently got back into playing with a band again with some old friends (playing at pubs, clubs, parties etc) and am also mucking around with various projects in my home studio (Protools on an Apple Mac).<br /><br />As well as the bass, I also play guitar, sax and clarinet. My 2 daughters are right into music & are learning various instruments too. I'm hoping they will get as much enjoyment as I have over the years.<br /><br />I know what you mean about the difficulty in finding other musicians... at my age, most have either given up, lost their hearing or got too damaged from years or hard living... I've been lucky though.<br /><br />Good luck with your ventures :)

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Thanx 62_kiwi, pro tools rocks......I have a older (like 5 yrs old) cakewalk program I mess with as well as a small digital recorder. I really miss playing out but since I used to live and act as though I was rockstar.( just didnt get paid like one) Hard livin caught up to me and I got my act together, so I shun bars, pubs and taverns. The bands I work with are Christian hard rock and dont do bar gigs. One of them happens to be my sons band so thier not of age anyway. Tonight or tomarrow their new web site will be up and running and I will post the link so anybody who reads this please check it out and leave a message on the message board, but please remember they are minors and Christian ones at that so please keep it clean.Thanx :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I cant find any Musicians that are serious about jammin and not into drugs and drinking
That sounds familiar!! :( <br /><br />I been playing guitar halfway seriously for about 12 years.. I stink (which reminds me, time for new strings), but i have fun..<br /><br />I was playing with a couple other guys one or two nights a week just for fun, but their main thing was to get stoned and drunk.... I was doing most of the playing ("dude! ya sound awesome"! NOT!), but flying solo for a couple stoners with different musical tastes ain't much fun from a sober standpoint... <br /><br /> Drummer did'nt practice (actually, he is very good).. Bass player, well he thought he was flea, when he shoulda stuck with the basics ;) .. And, like i said, I stink..(think "Chuck Berry"..Never in tune and always out of time).. :p

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ya Snapper sad thing is even the serious musician tend to spend more time partying than jammin and I aint gettin any younger so Im really not into wasting time or doing it just to have a reason to party. Allthough I have to be honest I play at our church but the music absolutly bores me to tears. I do it as a service, I figure its a gift I recieved from God so I can at least help our church out by using it for them. The last band I was in was Christian but still rocked........some people dont understand not all X-tain music is hymms. :) Some of the coolest and biggest crowds I have played for have been at Christian colleges and schools.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

Played bass in clubs for a couple years in the seventies. I'm a rocker but at that time you had to play disco at least some of the time which I hated but it did make money. Put it aside for a while to raise a family. I now get together with some of the guys to jam in the winter. nobody practices so theres no meter but we do have a good time. btw I quit playing 20 yrs ago partly because of the drunks and drugs - very unreliable.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

M&R. Nice of you to play for your church.. Good on ya, man!... :) <br /><br />My "dream".. I'd really like to to get a "stray cats" type rockabilly band going, even if only for fun in a garage, but absolutely nobody i run into likes it.. :( Found a drummer who's halfway into it, but he says he can't play a shuffle for nuttin... :( <br /><br />ps.. You Protools duders, keep an eye out on Tech topics.. never messed with that stuff and I got a few ?????'s, i'll post afterwhile.. :cool:

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Yea Snapper I have a dream too..... would love to go on tour someday.....Probablly wont happen though.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You never Know,life's funny that way

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been playing guitar for about seven years now. I'm not the greatest, but can pick up anything out on the radio. My leads blow, but am getting better. Boating accident (broken finger that now has two titanuim screws in it) that has left my left ring finger really stiff has kept me from playing for the last four months though. :(

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok heres the link to my sons band please feel free to leave something on the message board but like I posted earlier please keep it PG since they are minors :) www.okasimon.com

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Been picking for about 3 years.....I don't get to practice enough so I stink.<br /><br />I have a Taylor 710CE cutaway acoustic/electric and a fender tele.<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/guitar.htm <br /><br />If anyone knows of any good training material, I'm all ears....I need more!<br /><br />Thanks.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've played the guitar for about 30 years - as long as it's a three chord progression in the key of G, C or D, I'm in good shape. I'm just starting to play a new instrument, the dulcimer. It's tuned in the key of D and is great for folk music and a lot of hymns.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Kelton nice looking guitar......I have and old Kramer from back in the day........Its in ok shape....my baby is a Charvel 375 deluxe that was made back when Jackson was great guitar ( still ok i guess) Its built with the same hardwear that was on the top of the line Jackson that year and I have not found one I like as much. Charvel/Jackson has really gone down hill the last few yrs. I also own a Washburn 12 string that I love as well, awesome sound.......Hayhauler I have always wanted to try a dulcimer....looks pretty cool.<br />Kelton look up www.wholenote.com I give lessons and I often take stuff off of there.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Playing guitar for 30+, minus a few years rehabbing crushed fingers (L/hand). Own a Washburn Mercury, Epi LP.12 string, Oscar Schmitt semi acoustic, Epi 6 acoustic. Play and write. Planning to rock with my granddaughter singing. They get a look at her, nobody will notice the old fart pickin'

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Nyminute I feel for ya with the hurt fingers...I almost would rather go blind then lose to use of even 1 hand. Hey isnt it cool to work at making music with our kids/Grandkids.......its like passing the torch :) even though with mine Im starting to get a bit jealous :)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by mikeandronda:<br /> Ok heres the link to my sons band please feel free to leave something on the message board but like I posted earlier please keep it PG since they are minors :) www.okasimon.com
KUDOS to those young men for keeping a neat image...a lot of young musicinas who claim to be "Christian" (the very word means: Christlike) never change the image of worldly rock bands and try to carry it over to the church world. Makes me puke, cause I don't think Christ would have anything to do with that mess!!! (My opinion, but I believe it is correct!!)<br /><br />If I step on some toes here with this statement, just consider the source: I do NOT believe in the term "Christian Rock"...but I don't want to take the focus from the original thread...sorry!!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Hey mikeandronda....<br /><br />thanks for the link.....gives me inspiration to pull that ole Talylor out and go at it again. I got really frusterated, but that page rocks!<br /><br />Once again, THANKS!

spratt

Lieutenant

M&R, I am going to buy a banjo today from a friend and try to learn how to play it. I love bluegrass music, but don't care for most of the lyrics. Any banjo players out there who can nd want to provide advice for a newbie banjo picker, please do so...music is not new ot me, I have played guitar, harmonica, a little fiddle (notice I didn't say violin??), my sons play anything they want to sit down and play (make me sick, both of 'em!!) but their main instrument is drums and saxophone...

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ya spratt, I hate when I hear a band is a Christian band and what they really are is a Band with Christians in it..........until my boy is out on his own we have set limits for him...not just because of our dediction to God but because I know how hard it is to keep focused on staying on the straight and narrow when your in a band.I failed misserably. The best way to descibe them would be to say extreme worship....every song is a song bout' God. Im very proud of each of them.