Any issues with running this engine on a powerboat?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
J50EVLSIG

50HP but it's a "sail" engine with "special gearcase" 20" shaft which is what I'm looking for, fuel injected 2001 model.

I'm looking to run it on a 14ft boat. It's currently on a lightweight 16 foot river boat.... have no idea how they ended up with a "sailboat" motor on it but the owner claims he bought it new that way (boat and motor)

I would assume any issues would revolve around propping it?

If this is suitable I need to move on it quickly....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any issues with running this engine on a powerboat?

Small "SAIL" engines usually have some very nice features such as alternators and electric start. Most 50s usually have these features anyway However, they are specifically designed for sailboats. The leg is VERY long to account for the sail transom and they are usually geared and propped for power and THRUST, not speed. Again, your 50 may have a standard leg, but certainly the gearcase is different as will be the prop.

SO, mounted on your regular hull, you will not get the same speed an equivalent horsepower regular model outboard will deliver. Not only that, the sail engine still may have the prop sitting too deep in the water for good performance. Will it work? Yes. Will it work well or best in this application? No.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Light weight as in light boat or lightweight compared to a sailboat that uses a 50 hp motor?Really need more info to make a decision.
I would think if it worked on the 16 it would do as well on the 14.Thats not much boat for any 50.Is it rated for 50 hp?If the 16 was a big bruiser of a boat and the 14
is just a little tinnie you may have a prop selection problem.What size prop is presently on the motor?How does it perform.What type 16 footer?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I just called the local dealer who tells me this was likely a "pontoon" boat engine as he'd never seen a 50HP outboard on a sailboat as an auxillary and they "spec" pontoon boat engines the same way..

The specs match what would be called for on a pontoon boat... high thrust but standard 20" shaft.

According to him the issue would actually be that you might have trouble finding a prop with a diameter large enough and still fit the space available to overcome the gear ratio issue with a lighter boat. In other words it may be a speed killer even with the biggest prop I could get on it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That sounds right to me.