Any ideas on mounting plastic fuel tanks?

amidaeus

Seaman
Hello Folks, I finally purchased a plastic tank to replace my below deck aluminium one that rotted out. The info sheet that came from Moeller specifically states "do not foam in" because the tank expands. I have removed all the foam and glassed in resin coated blocks covered in heavy duty vinyl for the tank to sit on. The problem is, how do I keep the tank from moving from side to side and back and forth? I don't have much room on the sides (maybe 1.5 inches) or the ends (2 inches). The tank is 52 gallons and is 6 ft. x 2ft x 11 inch belly tank. Any ideas? I'll try to get a pic posted to give a better idea of what I am dealing with. <br />Thanks in advance... :confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Any ideas on mounting plastic fuel tanks?

Didn't Moeller list a hold-down kit for this tank? Recesses or tabs are often molded into plastic tanks that accept hold-down clamps or straps.

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

'Glass in little strips of wood around the tank like a coral. Throw down some pieces of inner tube or something ot give a little padding to resist chaffing.<br /><br />It will sit there happily for years. If it bounces up & down any, screw eyebolts into the wooden strips and lace a couple of bungee cords over it.<br /><br />If you're not running rapids with the boat, you should live happily ever after set up like that.

jshoes52

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I laid 1/2" neoprene rubber strips under and around my belly poly tank. You have to allow room for 5% expansion for a new tank, so make it real tight.

amidaeus

Seaman

Got er' done.... Thanks guys! :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Amidaeus,<br /><br />My moeller tank came without any instructions. Can you link me to a copy or scan and send it to me at mjmullen4@yahoo.com? <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Mark

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Is the tank bonded to the hull? Just curious about static charge on the vinyl. NOT NOT NOT professing to be an expert, just static aware after reading the posts on iboats. BTW Mark, it's nice to see the TLC your putting into that classic boat. :)

amidaeus

Seaman

Mark,<br />I did not get any instructions either... Wish I could help.