Any Ideas how to get stray cats out of boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hybridbird

Cadet
Re: Any Ideas how to get stray cats out of boat

I have a 12 foot burmese python you could stuff in there for a day or two.This is all the time it will take, you will NOT have problems with cats after that,and I won't have to buy rabbits for a couple weeks.We both win...LOL :D

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by JRJ:<br />
Originally posted by Haut Medoc:<br /> I agree, Anti-freeze.....JK
Anyone that uses anti-freeze as bait should drink it themselves. Not kidding. Mike, you will out-smart the cats I'm sure.
I agree - drink it yourself! :mad:

rwidman

Lieutenant

Even 4 years after they have been gone, on those hot, Mississippi August afternoons the lovely smell of cat wizz can still be found.<br />
Pet stores sell products that will remove the bacteria that cause the smell. Odorloss or KO may work as well.

scottatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by CN Spots:<br /> Even 4 years after they have been gone, on those hot, Mississippi August afternoons the lovely smell of cat wizz can still be found.<br /><br />spots
Tomato juice - if you know where they pissed.<br /><br />Works on dogs to remove skunk smell, something about the acidity in tomatoes.....<br /><br />It works...I have a coat that had this happen to it, tomato juice and a wash and voila.....never smelled it again.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

interesting...keep my boat at a storage yard, lot of cats around. Several pecan trees there but never any sign of a squirrel much less any other varmint. And the cats don't go in my boat. Why I don't know. The dog goes fishing with me, but he absolutely doesn't mark the boat, maybe just his residual odor? There's not a lot of upholstery, no carpet. I have seen 'em sunning on top of the cover...I'd rather 'em not, but I'd even more rather have 'em on my side when it comes to rodentular matters.<br /><br />Sorry I don't have any ideas for ya. Good luck.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

**** Cheney is available....just kidding. If cats can get in the boat has not been wrapped properly, particularly for a cold weather climate. Start there...then check the other responses, lots of good help. Moth crystals, NOT moth balls will do the job for rodents, cats and anythings else. Don't rest...or the varmints will ruin your boat!!

ed/il

Petty Officer 3rd Class

take the tarp off

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by swist:<br /> Fox urine is very effective for a broad range of pests. Where I am red squirrels are a bigger nuisance than cats (cats don't eat wiring), and fox **** really keeps them away. It comes in a powdered form (brand "ShakeAway") and it dissapates after a month or two.
I'd like to keep squirrels away from the house. Do you mix the powdered fox scent with water & apply? I need osmething for outdoor use; some of the surfces are verticle and most areas subject to wind that would blow away crystals.<br /><br />Question: how far away can a human smell the fox **** (asking w.r.t. distance I'd need to apply away from porches)? <br /><br />Thoughts?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Scott at work:<br />
Originally posted by CN Spots:<br /> Even 4 years after they have been gone, on those hot, Mississippi August afternoons the lovely smell of cat wizz can still be found.<br /><br />spots
Tomato juice - if you know where they pissed.<br /><br />Works on dogs to remove skunk smell, something about the acidity in tomatoes.....<br /><br />It works...I have a coat that had this happen to it, tomato juice and a wash and voila.....never smelled it again.
Tomato juice is pretty much a myth. It may cover up the skunk smell, but it doesn't get rid of it. My guess is when you washed your coat you used a detergent or non-chlorine bleach that had some kind of oxygen bleach in it. That would neutralize the smell. <br /><br />Skunk spray and some other nasty things smell so bad because of something called thiols. Low oxygen thiols smell bad, high oxygen thiols don't. A lab researcher looking to neutralize the bad smell from experiments that produced thiols realized this a few years ago, and tried treating the substances with a mix of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and a detergent (to break down the oils so the other stuff can get to the thiols). <br /><br />Worked so well they went out driving, found a roadkill skunk, and tried their 'mix' on the carcass (true story). It actuallly neutralized the smell of the carcass. <br /><br />I've used this on my dog who got sprayed and it really did neutralize the smell. If I got within maybe 6 inches of him I could smell it just a little bit, but I suspect that was because you have to be careful around a pets eyes. You also cant mix it up and store it in a sealed bottle (it will explode). An oxygen bleach (like oxy-clean) & detergent should also work. <br /><br />I think I posted the formula and some reference links a while back if anyone wants to do a search (prolly in 'non-technical boating topics' or 'dockside chat'.

Jmoss36

Recruit

Secure the blue tarp tighter :confused:
Shrink wrap your cover for defense then get a cat trap for offense

Attachments

• 169CE27A-3D1D-4ADB-8AFA-51C7633D7554.jpeg
    169CE27A-3D1D-4ADB-8AFA-51C7633D7554.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.