Any Ideas how to get stray cats out of boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Giglio

Seaman Apprentice
I have unwelcome visitors in my boat. About 4 or 5 stray cats have figured out how to jump in under a blue tarp and are using my boat as a winter home. I have tried moth balls and a daily spray from petco to get rid of cats but they still are living in the boat. I'm sure some of you have experience with this type of problem and I'm curious to find a successful solution to this winter storage problem.<br />Thank you<br />Mike in NY

KCook

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Any Ideas how to get stray cats out of boat

Secure the blue tarp tighter :confused:

Mike Giglio

Seaman Apprentice

its an outboard, and they are getting in around where the cover covers the motor. It is tight where they are able to get in.<br />mike

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Just went thru this myself. The cure was to get a trap and some canned tuna fish and trap the cats. Then call your local animal control officer and have them hauled off.<br /><br />Read this thread .

samsam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Mike Giglio:<br /> I have unwelcome visitors in my boat. About 4 or 5 stray cats have figured out how to jump in under a blue tarp and are using my boat as a winter home. I have tried moth balls and a daily spray from petco to get rid of cats but they still are living in the boat. I'm sure some of you have experience with this type of problem and I'm curious to find a successful solution to this winter storage problem.<br />Thank you<br />Mike in NY
Throw a stray dog in there. :) I get them in my workshop ocassionaly. You really want to get them out of there. They will have litters in there and you will be unhappy. They will leave carcasses and furballs in there and you will be unhappy. They will crap in there and you will be unhappy. They will spray in there and you and the whole family will be very unhappy. The good news is you probably won't have any mice. 1-Somehow secure your tarp. 2-Rig up an electric fence, some of them run off batteries. 3-Try a live trap and relocate them to the animal shelter. Sam

magster65

Commander

I think if the cats saw a dog around there (or smelled one) they wouldn't be back. <br />If you can't borrow a dog maybe this stuff is worth a try? <br /><br />
Doggy1.gif

tommays

Admiral

my most fun with that was when a ferrel tom cat hooked him self up to a fishing pole. :eek: <br /><br />it took me and a friend with some really good gloves but that was the last time he went in the boat. :p <br /><br /><br />tommays

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Years ago we had a young cat get tangled in a night line with many hooks.We were going crazy trying to get the hooks out of him.when an old time fishing guide happened to stop in.He laid the cat in his lap spoke a few words to it and stroked it a couple of times and the cat laid there quietly while Brott untangled him.Pretty amazing.Now what has that to do with cats under a tarp?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by steelespike:<br /> He laid the cat in his lap spoke a few words to it and stroked it a couple of times
How hard did he stroke the cat and with what? :eek:

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

My brother stuffed another tarp, all wadded up, in the opening near the outboard and then clamped it to the boat tarp to keep his cats out. Even 4 years after they have been gone, on those hot, Mississippi August afternoons the lovely smell of cat wizz can still be found.<br /><br />-and people ask why we troll so fast.<br /><br />spots

wyowoodwrkr

Cadet

I would use a Conibear trap, they are available on ebay. Just one of them will cure the problem one cat at a time. Good luck.

Vantoo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

.22 shells are cheap....just don't shoot a hole in the boat..... :D :rolleyes:

TXJOLE

Seaman Apprentice

Fox urine or coyote urine. You can get it at any hunting store. Good for skunks too. Dont worry its washable to so your boat wont smell like it forever.

Mike Giglio

Seaman Apprentice

I'll try to cover it better and try the fox urine from the hunting store. That sounds like a quick easier solution as apposed to trapping but thanks for all the suggestions. <br />Mike

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Usually the traps can be borrowed from the local animal control office. Some ask for ID and a small deposit, but I don't think there's a fee for using them.<br /><br />There's always the anti-freeze method...

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I agree, Anti-freeze.....JK

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be nice! Invite them in the house for the winter.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fox urine is very effective for a broad range of pests. Where I am red squirrels are a bigger nuisance than cats (cats don't eat wiring), and fox **** really keeps them away. It comes in a powdered form (brand "ShakeAway") and it dissapates after a month or two.

JRJ

Commander

Originally posted by Haut Medoc:<br /> I agree, Anti-freeze.....JK
Anyone that uses anti-freeze as bait should drink it themselves. Not kidding. Mike, you will out-smart the cats I'm sure.

badandy

Seaman Apprentice

put the boat in a fenced yard with a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.