Any ideas for what to see in Quebec?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I made a deal with my youngest son--get a good grade in his French class and we visit Quebec for summer vacation, or do poorly and we spend our time in Youngstown, Ohio. (Kid's know I'm serious, so it has had the desired result.)

Any suggestions on what to see there?

thanks,

Jinx

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Any ideas for what to see in Quebec?

There are some really great str............, oops

rolmops

Vice Admiral

They say that Montreal is a beautiful city with a very distinct European air.
My son calls that province Quebeckistan.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Quebec City is a pretty neat Old place,.....

Lots of History, Arts, Sights, etc.....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i was there earlier this year.....

went to watch a buddie of mine play in the east west all star football game....

take mrs bond-o shopping at the university mall, every one there is very well dressed and the fashions are good for the ladies....she'll come home lookin like the belle "o" the ball and have clothes no one else has.....she'll love ya for another year......

old downtown quebec is full of history.....FULL.....cannons on the water....just park the car and walk.....resturants everywhere and the food is great...you can spend three days and not see it all.

the language barrier is a pita.... but the boy can translate. :)

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

The summer after I graduated from high school me and a couple buddies drove out to Maine and we spent a night in Quebec City. The drive in there from Maine was absolutely gorgeous and Quebec City is really interesting. Here's a couple pictures I took, I would go back if I ever get the chance.

PICT0083.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0056.jpg

Bigprairie1

Commander

Quebec, great choice. Its a really great choice if you're between the ages of 17-25....but I won't get into that.
I would definitely hit Montreal first .Try 'old montreal' area, St. Catherines street for some general city putzing and then head over to St. Denis Street for dinner. Lots going on.....like a constant festival in the spring and summer. Check out the 'big church' (Notre' Dame)....wow, really something.
Then I would head up the river (St. Lawrence) to Quebec City (a few hours drive). Its very historic....equally good food, and lots to do on foot. Find a good place to park (in both cities) and just walk around if you can. Stay away from the suburbs....they are a drag like any place.
How far along is your son in French? (French classes or immersion?). Most people you will deal with (hotels, tourism, restaurants, etc) will easily speak both english and french. They appreciate it when people do their best to converse in french and are quick to help.
These are great cities to have around...by all means check 'em out, you won't regret it. :D
BP
ps: before you go....read up on what major street signs look like in french..because thats what they read as. No 'avenue' or 'street', etc...all french. So make sure you are clear what 'Rue' means, etc.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Montreal and Quebec City will be on the list. Any ideas about rural areas?

Thanks everyone.

Jinx

oops!

Supreme Mariner

sorry guys.......to bondo- and jinx :redface:

bond-o had typed the reply before me. and i didnt preview the post before i sent it......(mabe i should slo down typing a bit..!!!!)

it should read take mrs jinx to the mall shopping....not mrs bond-o......

btw....thats laval university......

as for the country jinx......i dont know....i drove from montreal to quebec city....i found the land to be as boring as saskatchawan.....flat....nothing there.......see your dog running away for days !

ill ask around tho....my girl is from that side of canada.

congrats on a son that is dilligent!

and btw.....mrs bond-o would still love some clothes from there....just dont take her without mr bond-o!.....:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

the rental car we had also had a gps map thingie...

if the soft ware is up dated.....it can really be a big help!

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

Well, there is the St. Lawrance Seaway.

I agree about the language barrier being a PITA. Until they see the American dollar, anyway.

Well... maybe not so much anymore.