Any 2017+ Nissan Titan owners?

briangcc

Commander
Lease is coming due on my 2019 Ram Express Classic (v6, double cab, 4x4, tows 7400lbs). After driving it for 2 years, there are things that the engineers simply missed on this truck. I mean really, who in this day and age neglects to put steering wheel radio controls on a vehicle? Or the tow/haul button basically in the passengers lap? Or burries the 4x4 controls under the shifter so you have to look away from driving to shift into 4x4? So push comes to shove I really DON'T want to take this vehicle over...may have to due to mileage BUT I really DON'T want it.

I recently test drove a '21 Nissan Titan SV Crew Cab and the ergonomics are MUCH better. Darn near had a heart attack at the price though....$598/mo on a 3 yr lease so probably looking at used. Curious if there are any known gotchas on the current body styling which I think dates back to at least 2017? **I do not like the 2015 styling, not sure what they were thinking there!

This isn't a....what other options are out there thread as I've owned (3) Toyota Tundras - would own one again if the gas mileage wasn't so miserable, (2) GMC Sierras - quality control back in '04 was horrendous, and now the Ram - idiotic design choices. Won't own a Ford (fix or repair daily, found on roadside dead, f'd over redesigned Dodge, driver returns on foot, etc).

Just interested in hearing from actual owners what their experience has been.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
A couple questions first. What do you primarily use your truck for? Besides daily driver do you off road with it? When you tow how much gross weight do you tow (boat and trailer)?

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I do not own one, so take this however you choose. As a mechanic we work on them in my shop, which gives me no reason to warn you off buying one. All brands, and all models of vehicles break, that is just how life goes. Certain vehicles though break down a lot more than others, and from my experience the Titan isn't one of them. I consider it average to slightly better than average for overall reliability. Some vehicles I just see a trend with, always have some serious problems going on, but I would not steer anyone away from a Titan from seeing them in my shop.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
A couple questions first. What do you primarily use your truck for? Besides daily driver do you off road with it? When you tow how much gross weight do you tow (boat and trailer)?
A Titan should tow as well as his Ram 1500. A 19' Chaparrel especially with the small mercruiser, not a big block V8, should not cause anyone weight concerns with any brand of full size pickup.

briangcc

Commander
To answer your question...my other vehicle is a 4Runner which tows 5k, has 3rd row, has been taken over by my wife, and I have been told I have to pry the keys from her dead hands :)

I use my truck as the primary tow vehicle for my family and my boys are growing so I'm now into Crew Cab territory. I do use 4x4 at some of the ramps I launch at and also live where it snows so 4x4 is a must. We don't fit in a mid-sized truck (Taco, Frontier, etc) and if you're going to have a truck, I don't want a wannabe - see Honda Ridgeline.

There are plans for a BunkHouse camper down the road so anything less than what I have now isn't viable. Wouldn't be fifth wheel but most that we've been looking at are in the 6-8k lbs range dry.

I do haul with it as well so full sized it is. The gas mileage looks fairly good on the Nissan Titan as compared to the gas hog Toyota Tundra. If Toyota would fix that, we wouldn't be talking about a Nissan :)

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Those 4runners also last a long time, both are good choices in my opinion. Like I mentioned already, they all break, things wear out, and no perfect vehicle exists. But some are just junk, and the Titan I would not consider junk.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Speaking to fuel mileage.My friend has a Titan,he says it will pass everything but a gas station ,real world!Same for the yodas.To be honest i dont really expect pruis type mileage from a brick.Up here in my town all the dealers combined couldnt muster up enough new trucks to move the contents of a midsized house.My local ford dealer which lets say would normally have 100 or so at anygiven time had 3 the otherday,3!Dodge,gm the same.Needless to say used is now like rare metal prices now!

briangcc

Commander
So just closing the loop on this.....

Nissan was thrown out as basically they have SV's on the lot but won't deal on them with leases....or at least in my area....with any reasonable amount of $$$$ down. Dealer wouldn't order me one either to lock in a decent lease deal. I located (1) Titan XD S crew cab in OH but with my trade they wanted over $10k down to lock in a $399/mo lease. They nuts, and yes I told them so. **Nissan's own website was touting $399/mo with about 4-5k down on a regular Titan S crew cab.

My Dodge/Ram dealer went from $330/mo in Feb to nearly $600/mo on a Big Horn hemi crew cab and that was with $8k down....and I would have had to order that as well.

I moved onto Chevy after doing some reading on the 2.7L Turbo but there's non on the lots...either Chevy or GMC...in my neck of the woods. I could order one...with $7k down but if I didn't like it I was stuck with it. Having not driven one, that's a risk I am simply not willing to take.

Toyota...no stock in sight across several large/very large dealerships. They're pretty big in my area with usually something on the lot....NADA currently.

Used...HA! They're asking just about new prices these days. Again, my local lots are pretty much empty. My wife, who works for the DMV and processes dealer paperwork, says the dealers coming in are desperate for vehicles getting them all the way over on the West Coast now...I'm on the East Coast.

So....I tried a different Ram dealer. 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport Hemi etorque crew cab is now mine. First round was over $600/mo with nothing out of pocket, When I said what I was looking at payment wise and I was willing to kick $$$$ in on it they came down a good amount. Paid more monthly than I wanted (double my Ram Classic doublecab lease) but my downpayment was WAY less than what anyone else wanted. Currently looking at running boards and have to see if the tonneau cover I kept from my crew cab Tundra will fit the beasty. I think my wife is eyeing it up as the first ride home in it she mentioned it was a very nice truck worth keeping.