Any 1/24 scale slot car racers out there?

ob

Admiral
I started in the hobby in the late 60's.There's only one track in Corpus and has been owned and operated by the same guy since Moses.His name is Dwain Harris.Not near as organized a hobby as it once was and most people know little about it.We currently just race on one day of the week.Everybody uses comparable motors(group 10 super wasp) and wedge bodies on champion or parma stamped chasis.Still have a couple of group 15 and 20 wing cars but don't race competitively any more.If you like high speed action and an interesting and fun hobby,look into it in your area.A dying hobby that is simply not know to many.

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Any 1/24 scale slot car racers out there?

When I was in my late teens I used to go to a track and rent space by hte hour...in Decatur, Ga...went back a few years ago and the place was long gone...I really loved it!!! They had motors and wheels and gears and anything ya wanted to make those cars go faster right on the wall racks or in teh counters...

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I had friends who had cars, but I was too poor. We used to hang out at the shop twice a week. The race track was huge taking-up most of the building. It was a lot like a scaled version of Watkins Glen. It had a particular "smell". I loved that smell. I didn't mind not having a car to run, because I considered them overpriced, as was the track time. I sure liked to watch them run tho!

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Used to do the 1/24 slots too ob. Never raced organized, just between me and buds. Still have bunch of my old stuff. Group 7 and group 15. Also shop had a class for "hobbie stock" where hard plastic 1/24 model bodies were chopped low and fitted to a frame. I did a 60s Galaxy 500 that I thought was cool. <br /><br />You use wheel glue (on the track) for the class you race?

ob

Admiral

pjc ,Yep.They spray the track surface with a solution mixed in water to sticky it up.In the old days we used STP rubbed into the spongies.I still use it. ;) The circuit track in Corpus is an original design by Harris and even gained some attention in the Slot Car magazines.One turn off the main starightaway allows you to bury the throttle so long as your chasis is tweeked nicely.This equates to around 5.5 second laps on cars that go from 0-70 almost instatntly.<br /><br />spratt,It's pretty much the same now.The track places in operation have a parts counter for all of the little goodies you need to create your own rocket.Balanced armatures,motor cans,zapped magnets,or ready to run motors of various groups.<br /><br />You guys ought to break the old boxes out and find a track nearby and re-check it out.It's just as fun as it used to be.Nothing quite like it.

ob

Admiral

Aye 12footer,In the earlier days we used to have to scrounge up as much money as we could make to put together a car.Good memories.Ooh , and that smell. :cool:

spratt

Lieutenant

I would do just that, ob, IF there was any place locally that provided a track. Maybe I should do some more research and see if there is a track in Western Washington at all...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

That was something that my son and I did together about 8 years ago. The hobby shop in town had a track and so did a few other towns. We had a group that would go to the other tracks and clean house. :D My better half got a little upset when she was doing the books and found that I had spent nearly $600 in just 5 weeks. <br /><br />Its sorta like real racing, you gotta pay to get the wins. There is a Daytona track in Newark Ohio that is awesome. They have NASCAR races that brings alot of competetion in. They have 3 other tracks there also. Just an unbelieveable place, he has everthing from everywhere. <br /><br />I still have my controllers and about 16 cars of about every class. One of my grandsons is about the age to get into it. Thanks OB for bringing this topic up, just might have to take him this weekend to see if the cars still run. Ohhh the smell of the arcing of the brushes... :D

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

This sounds like a great hobby. Never seen it , or tried it. Are there any good websites out there to read/learn more about it?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I take my boy and some of his friends down to the local track, but I think it will be closing soon. We have a few new cars and controls, but my favorites are the old cars I had from when I was a kid racing them in the 70's. The guy who runs the local track wanted to buy my stuff, but it is worth more as a keepsake. <br /><br />Funny thing is the old cars, fast as they were then, can't hold a candle to the fastest cars now. But they do well against the entry level cars priced around $35-45.<br /><br />My boy is losing interest as he now has a girl friend. Actually, he lost interest in everything but his hair and cloths since he got a girl friend!