Antique Hawk Diagnostic & Tune-up Analyzer... how do I hook it up?

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
It has probably been 40 years since I last used one of these. I tried to find a manual online to refresh my memory on how to use it and how to hook it up. My main purpose is simply as a dwell meter. However, it has several uses. The setting on the dial show amps, volts, ponts, dwell, hi rpm, lo rpm.. and of course, there's the 8 cyl - 6 cyl switch. Any of you antiques know hook it up? The shunt looking thing some how connects to either battery or alternator. One site says to put the red alligator clip on the pos and the black on the neg sides of the coil... other sites say to put the red clip on the neg side of coil and direct ground to engine for the black clip... I'd love to know how to use all the functions. The two that I may have trouble with is "amps" and "good/bad points". If I knew how to correctly hook up the wires for dwell function I would have no problem making measurements or adjusting dwell. I have several engines that have point ignitions. Thanks for any help...

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Antique Hawk Diagnostic & Tune-up Analyzer... how do I hook it up?

At the risk of being labelled an "antique"...

The black clip goes to engine ground, the red goes to the - side of the coil. Not sure about the other gizmo (mine only has the two leads); perhaps that's the pickup for the spark plug wire.

RandyJ

yep.. .I remember when I thought 40 was OLD.. .now those are just youngsters...
For Dwell I think you're right and maybe for RPM also. It seems the other thingy was in some way hooked to the positive side of the battery cable for amps or load measurements. I simply do not remember but recall my brother doing something like that when checking charging/electrical systems to diagnose alternators or charging systems.

UncleWillie

Captain

At the risk of being labeled an "antique"...

The black clip goes to engine ground, the red goes to the - side of the coil. Not sure about the other gizmo (mine only has the two leads); perhaps that's the pickup for the spark plug wire.

+1

Black to Ground.
Red to the Coil wire that goes to the Points.

For a 4 Cylinder engine. Set for 8 Cyl and double the reading.

The Other Object is the Current Shunt Bar for measuring AMPs.

RandyJ

Thanks UncleWillie! Now... (1)what is the correct way to hook up the current shunt bar? (2) How does one use the points "good/bad" scale?.. yeah, I sound dumb but I'm getting educated.....

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks UncleWillie! Now... (1)what is the correct way to hook up the current shunt bar? (2) How does one use the points "good/bad" scale?.. yeah, I sound dumb but I'm getting educated.....

When you are hooked up to the coil and the battery, the dwell will read for a points type ignition. On GM style, you could adjust the dwell (points gap) while the engine was running. Then you would switch over to tach, set the idle, then back to dwell and check to ensure that everything was correct. If I remember correctly, GM 8 CYl Dwell was 30 deg

Last edited:

RandyJ

Thanks Harritwo. That's about the only thing I remember for sure about these types of meters. I'm still a bit lost on how to hook up the shunt... between the battery cable and battery or some other arrangement.

UncleWillie

Captain

The shunt would generally go in the lead from the Alternator to the Starter/Battery, NOT in the Cable from the Battery to the Starter.
It will measure the Charging Current up to 80 amps on your meter.

RandyJ

Thanks.. that makes sense... and straightens out my confusion... old age SUCKS!

dolluper

Captain

The exact machine I bought years ago ..... still have it and it works ....replace battery in back only used in Ohem function ....the spark plug reader...note on reader plug side direction clamp over plug wire {number 1 works best}set to rpm for reading hook red to pos battery and black to ground .....you don't need spark reader clamp for volts amps ohems,,,,,turn dial to zero in ohems all done with battery hooked red pos black neg...for dwell hook to coil.....ifin you need the manual I could scan it for you let me know......could be awhile busy with summmer right now but you will get it PM me if interested

Last edited:

RandyJ

Dolluper.. heck yeah captain! That would be great!

dolluper

Captain

That shunt is for testing amps on Alto's.....usually lost good little readers .....you can test plug wires easy ....clamp over spark plug wire one at a time on the rpm scale if it isn't steady RPM if it flacuates sp you have a leaking wire....still use it today for fast checking spark wires and chargeing

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Harritwo. That's about the only thing I remember for sure about these types of meters. I'm still a bit lost on how to hook up the shunt... between the battery cable and battery or some other arrangement.
RandyJ your making me feel old too.

To hook up the shunt: Take the positive battery cable off of the battery and put the shunt on the positive battery post, then hook the positive battery cable to the shunt. You can now read alternator amperage output or starter amperage draw.