Antifreeze in engine oil

kvkon

Seaman
Earlier this year I changed intake manifold gaskets to try and seal it up. Still getting a small amount of antifreeze in the oil, only detectable by seeing a little residue under the oil filler cap, not turning the oil milky. Head and manifold surfaces showed some corrosion and pitting from long term leakage when owned by previous guy. I hoped that upgraded gaskets and Permatex Aviation sealant would stop the leak. Wondering if the surfaces can be sealed with JB Weld or Devcon? Maybe an application and sanding smooth? Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
I would have no issue with JB or the like to fix. Cleaning is the biggy prior to applying

kvkon

Seaman
Bahaha! Sorry, I guess The Amazing Kreskin isn't a member here. It's a 4.3 MPI. Started the tear down this aft. It's been leaking more than I thought. Oil isn't discolored but the distrib. shaft had a fair amount of white glop on it. I used the double bead intake gaskets when I made the first attempt at sealing it. Fel-Pro part #MS98002T-1 Is there any alternate gasket that may work? Hard to get any pressure on these gaskets with the extremely light torque specified for the intake manifold. What is the hazard in increasing the torque?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What is the hazard in increasing the torque?

snapping the bolts

seriously, you dont need any more torque.

either you have the wrong intake manifold gasket or something else is wrong.

since your first post is anti-freeze related, I assume you have a heat exchanger? or did you mean water?

who did the winterization last time? check the intake for cracking at the thermostat housing area (there is a drain that most people miss)

do you boat in salt water? if so, what do the exhaust manifold and elbows look like?

alldodge

Staff member
Head and manifold surfaces showed some corrosion and pitting from long term leakage when owned by previous guy.

It has pitting on the surfaces, this needs to be fixed, then a gasket will seal

kvkon

Seaman
snapping the bolts

seriously, you dont need any more torque.

either you have the wrong intake manifold gasket or something else is wrong.

since your first post is anti-freeze related, I assume you have a heat exchanger? or did you mean water?

who did the winterization last time? check the intake for cracking at the thermostat housing area (there is a drain that most people miss)

do you boat in salt water? if so, what do the exhaust manifold and elbows look like?

Torque spec calls for 11 ft lbs on these bolts. Seems really light and probably doesn't put much pressure on the gasket surfaces. You figure the 11 ft. lbs is enough? I'm running a 7 psi rad cap so there isn't a lot of coolant pressure. Engine never gets over 180 degrees. Whats your opinion of the 7 psi cap?