Antifouling removal

tweeder

Cadet
I’m getting ready to purchase my first boat this Sunday, a 19‘ 1990 byline trophy. I am a little worried because the boat has not seen the water for four years. One of the problems that I am going to have is that it has an old antifouling on that I’ll need to remove. I have looked into a lot of environmentally safe chemical strippers, but haven’t found anyone that carries them. I have an orbital sander and have thought about using that, but I’m just not sure if I would screw the hull up. If anyone could give some tips or pointers I would appreciate it. <br /><br />tweeder

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Antifouling removal

Boater's World carries Peel Away in gallon containers. From my experience, they are a little less costly than West Marine

KaGee

Admiral

Why remove it?? If it's bonded good leave it there.<br /><br />Powerwash it, and paint another coat on. <br />You are going to have to re-paint it anyway!<br /><br />Another thing they do around here it to blast it using ground up corn cob. Usually only do that in extreme circumstances.... like to repair the gelcoat.

malagaoth

Seaman

dry sanding is a BAD idea! antifoul is poisonous -that is why it works!!<br />i would agree, if its on well enough to need chemically removed just paint over it