Antifouling Paint on Props?

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice
West Marine says that there's no longer clear anti-fouling paint on the market, so I bought Interlux Black anti-fouling spray paint. My question is this: Is it recommended to spray the Brass props with this, as well as the shaft, or just the shaft, or neither? Should Brass props be treated within anti-fouling? thx

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Antifouling Paint on Props?

I have found my props don't get covered as long as the boat is used once every few weeks. As a matter of fact, they are the cleanest part of the entire boat. I think it would be hard to keep paint on them anyway.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as long as the boat is used fairly often you'll get no growth.. some prop shops will paint the center hubs, but never the blades. it'll never stay on the blades with any reasonable use.<br /><br />either way i never paint props or shafts.. shafts become a pain when painted when you need to do cutlass bearings or pull a shaft.. <br /><br />not that i don't see shafts already painted occasionally, but never props.. if the boat wont see much use, you CAN paint the shafts and center hub of the prop tho..<br /><br />btw, they're bronze, not brass...

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

thx Mike and Ryoken. Quick follow-up on Ryoken's suggestion to consider not spraying the shafts. I plan to use the boat at least once per weekend. Would you advise then that I NOT spray the shafts with Trilux Prop and Drive-Black? Should I anticipate growth on the shafts if not treated or will weekly use take care of that? Should I lightly sand the shafts before launching the boat this spring? On a different subject, since I see your profile lists you as a mechanic and fiberglass guy, for a relatively new boat (year 2000) that's been kept in pristine condition (waxed three times per year prior to me buying it two months ago), what type of wax would you recommend that I use and what procedure would I follow (i.e. shall I use a buffer to put the wax on, then use a polishing bonnet on the buffer to buff it off)? Shall I use a cleaning wax first, before the pure wax, or just wash the boat with soap/water first? I'm kind of new to this aspect of boating. Thx in advance for your advise.

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey H2O,<br /><br />if your using the boat frequently i wouldn't do the shafts for the reasons i mentioned. as a mechanic i hate having to scrape b-paint off shafts when doing work on em. most guys i work on with inboards just clean up the shafts in the spring a little if they get anything on them. like i said, if your concerned, you could just spray the shafts, just avoid getting heavy buildups of paint on them over time. make sure they are zinced properly also.<br /><br />not that i do a ton of detailing anymore, but generally i like to see them cleaned up with either a Finesse or even a one step cleaner/wax (the Maguires is nice) after a wash, then a good carnuba wax on top. 3M makes a real nice premium wax that comes in a little black jug, Maguires makes nice products also.. you can just wash and use the good wax, but obviously a slight polish with the Finesse (3M) or a cleaner wax prior will do a nicer job.. <br /><br />as far as wax procedure, cleaner/wax can be done with a buffer, good wool or foam pad, or it can be done by hand with a wax pad. when i ran a detailing outfit it was a combination of both, by hand for tight areas and a wheel for larger expanses, such as hulls, etc... when wheeling, buff the area thoroughly till covered, spur your pad and slow speed remove the haze/film after it dries..<br /><br />also for washing, a light car wash is best, the blue stuff. do not use detergent or things like that..<br /><br />how big of a boat is this?

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

Ryoken, thx. it's a 322 Silverton which measures 37 feet. It's a huge boat. Not sure if you recognize the style, but it's the motoryacht with the aft cabin, sits up very high and the cabin extends all the way to the sides. So, the only way to access the bow is to walk down steps on either side of the helm. You seem to be a wealth of knowledge on boating. Are you in the chesapeake bay area?

Ryoken

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no prob.. and yes, i work on quite a few of those. :) most of my clientel is in the 30 to 60' range... lot of Silvertons, Hats, Berts, Vikings, Mainships, SeaRays, Tiaras, etc, etc.. ;) <br /><br />i work at the Jersey shore.. Toms River area.. alot of informed people on the board here if you have any questions.. my experience is mostly in larger boats.. outboard and outdrive stuff is where i lack, other than normal maintenence.. but i am full service otherwise, from engine rebuilds, to electronics, to paint/gel work to cabinetmaking, etc, etc... ;) <br /><br />best of luck with the boat, you should enjoy it alot :)

h2omansd

Seaman Apprentice

Ryoken, I'm in the general Annapolis area (South River). I look forward to learning a lot more on this board, as I get into the new boating season with the new vessel. Coming from a 27 ft commodor regal with i/o's. Completely different boat, different ride, different maintenance issues, etc. So, should be fun and quite a learning experience. Again, thx for the great advice and I look forward to reading your other noteworthy postings. sd

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

H20, i just recently found this board myself. It's gotta be one of the better ones i know of for info. I see you are near me, i live outside Annapolis but keep my boat by the Key bridge. I bought my last boat from a dealer on the South river, nice area but gawd awful crowded on weekends! Good luck with the new boat!