Anti-Virus

spratt

Lieutenant
Re: Anti-Virus

I really dunno, because I have used Norton way back whe n it was Norton Utilities (man, was THAT a long time ago!!), and I just finished running both Norton AND TM, and Norton found a problem on my external hard drive, but TM found nothing after that. As I always tell folks, I don't like to put all my eggs in one basket anyway!! I never rely on one utility, because programmers make apps that look for varieties of the same troubles, and therefore one may not find what another can, simply because the footprint of a file may not register the same between two utilities. And I couln't tell any difference while running TM or Norton on my PC, but it is a mega machine, so nothing really slows it down anyway. I can't say that for anyone else!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Spinner, I'm not a puter guru and dont know anything about AVG but have had great luck if you can call it that with PC-Cillin.. Updates/checks every two minutes and has caught more stuff than "M" or "N" and unlike Spratts system mine is pretty slow and those slowed it down big time. <br />I'm still waiting for Spratt/FlatBottems to post his boiled peanut story.. :D

aspeck

Staff member

Spinner, I have Norton on my laptop because it came with the machine. When subscriptioin expires, it will be history. My use of Norton is a lot like Homer's. It hogs resources, and makes a mess of things.<br /><br />Just recently started using AVG here in Ghana, and it is doing the job, along with Spybot and No Ad Aware Personal. Use the three together, and it is great. Only problem I have with AVG is when it does the auto updates. I have to pick and chose times here because of connection speed. If it doesn't completely download, it will try to install the fragment, and that is not pretty. It will result in a crash and burn. Still, it has given me less headaches than Norton.<br /><br />When Stateside, I do like to check everything with House Call from time to time. It is a good check.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br />
Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> My 2 cents?<br /><br />Trend micro doesn't hog your system down like Norton does either. I have a power PC with a 2+gig CPU, and 1 gig of ram. Norton STILL hogged my system to a crawl when it scanned.<br />
Maybe the Norton you have and the one I have are different.
Hey Spratt.... What Homerr and I and several others have experienced is more than an anomily. I've read on a couple other PC boards I go to of others experiencing the same. <br /><br />I don't doubt a word you are saying. Maybe the Norton you use on your servers is different. Perhaps the applications your network users are running are not as resource demanding. For some of us single PC "power users", Norton is definetly going to slow you down. It definetly has an affect on gaming, video and audio rendering. <br /><br />If you are only using the PC to do email, browse, etc., I doubt that user will notice much.

spratt

Lieutenant

KG, where I admin servers is a Government facility, and all virus scans are scheduled overnight also, so I don't know about there. All my above posts concern my personal PC at home. I am definitely saying that Norton is a saviour, I just know I have not had problems. But tell me, why are you guys doing cirus scans while you are using the PC? To me, it just makes sense to let the utilities do their job during off hours usage, ie at night when nothing else is happening.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Link:<br /> Spinner, I'm not a puter guru and dont know anything about AVG but have had great luck if you can call it that with PC-Cillin.. Updates/checks every two minutes and has caught more stuff than "M" or "N" and unlike Spratts system mine is pretty slow and those slowed it down big time. <br />I'm still waiting for Spratt/FlatBottems to post his boiled peanut story.. :D
OK, Link, I am making a thread now!!

KaGee

Admiral

I wasn't scanning. But it runs in the background. There is no way to disable it... that I could find... other than to remove it. Technically, I do not know what it's doing, all I know is that without it, my system runs perfectly, with it, I get applications freezing, games do not run smoothly, and I get errors in my audio and video renduring.<br /><br />Just pointing out that my complaint, along with Homerr's has also been experienced by many other users. It's not just our imagination.

spratt

Lieutenant

No no, I believe you, but I have never heard of these problems till you guys brought it up. It does "run" in the background, meaning it watches for downloaded files, email, inserted floppy disks, etc, and then scans them as the files arive or during their arrival. Then if anything is found, the files are quarantined if uncleanable. I just have mine delete the files. Quarantined files are re-scanned every time new definition files are downloaded and installed. Without knowing the level of your expertise, I can only say that I use NAV 2003 (I have tried 2004 and 2005 but still like the old one better and it is still supported). It is fully configurable through it's own Control Panel, meaning I can set it to scan at various file depth, when to update, when to scan, how severe I want to monitor incoming files and what types, so perhaps you guys have it set to defaults and it is too much for your needs or your system. <br /><br />But hey, if you found something that works for you, I say go for it!! I guess that is the reason there are so many different apps out there, so everone can find one that fits...but, I just like NOrton and am very comfortable witht eh level of protection I get. So therefore I recommend it. Iknow there are many other apps that offer a smaller footprint in memory, and thus utilize less resources.