Anti-Virus

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My anti-virus subscription is do for an update shortly and was wanting to get some ideas on what you people thought was the best out there now.<br />Please, if your choice is not listed, let me know it anyway.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
Re: Anti-Virus

SBN,<br />I voted for Norton.<br />They do weekly updates, they are very fast to update when new viruses pop up, and don't seem to suck up as much CPU power as McAfee. PC-Cillin, I have no idea about.<br />I have Norton and don't seem to have any trouble at all, other than during the auto update (it slows down my connection for a minute or so).<br /><br />AK Chappy

KaGee

Admiral

For what it's worth Spinner, I didn't renew mine. It (Norton)caused too many problems IMO. Had MacAfee once too... it was worse. I keep everything important backed up and don't go snooping on websites where most of this stuff is started. It's a gamble I know, but one I am willing wager. The perfomance trade off is worth it to me.<br /><br />Compuserve is my email server, they have some screening capabilities.<br /><br />I voted PC-Cillin though, it is supposed to be more friendly to your system than the others.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks Chappy, I run Norton also, but the other day I loaded up the AVG 7.0.300 and then ran my Norton and found nothing and then ran the AVG and found 4 worms that Norton had not seen and that got me to thinking.<br />I am running the AVG along side the Norton now till I figure out what I am going to do.<br />A side note, I ran the PC-Chillin a while ago and found 5 more worms, nothing major, but again, got me to thinking.

dolluper

Captain

I run MAcafee with no problems the key I think to any anti-virius is weekly updates and running from startup ,set to scan all files including compressed

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by dolluper:<br /> I run MAcafee with no problems the key I think to any anti-virius is weekly updates and running from startup ,set to scan all files including compressed
Good advice dolluper.<br />I run a full system scan on a regular basis, keep Windows updated, and usually scan for new updates to my NAV daily. Seems to work for me.<br />I may try these others SBN, and see if I get a worm warning also.<br /><br />AK Chappy

spratt

Lieutenant

I would be willing to wager that if anyone had all 4 of these products loaded, none would perform the same as the other. No anti-virus is guranateed, nor advertised to capture 100% of all viruses, worms, trojans, etc., and none will. Not being sarcastic here at all, just after being int IT for over 15 years, I have found nothing to be comparable to Norton's products, and I have worked with a lot of companies, both as an employee and as a consultant, and always recommended Norton, but am willing to work with any product, and have had McAffee and others to deal with many times. None disappointed me, but Norton always wins hands down with me. I cannot understand what problems one may have, as I have never seen Norton create a problem on a PC...I set Livepdate to run every night at about 2AM, then perform a full system scan 30 minutes later. I have not had a virus of ANYKIND in almost a year!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

FB, I do the same thing at 230 ever morning while I'm gone, but when I loaded up the AVG, it found 4 that Norton had not, so I don't know.<br />My windows is on auto update as well as the Norton, with full system scan ever night and one button check up ever afternoon.

Rudderman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried AVG free edition for a year and got tired of it, I kept getting trojans and I needed a firewall. Also, AVG Free doesn't automatically get rid of viruses, you have to do a manual scan.<br />I also tried McAfee's scanner for a while but it caused my computer to freeze when I operated certain programs.<br /><br />I got Norton Internet Security 2004 which includes a firewall and Norton Anti-virus. So far I am very pleased with it, it works away automatically in the background and hasn't affected my computer in any bad way. I have XP Pro, 3Gig p4 processor, 1GB RAM.<br /><br />But I still run AdAware and Spybot regularly to remove any indetected undesirables.

Twidget

Commander

I use Bit Defender. It causes me fewer problems that Norton or McAfee. Its a great program.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I have Norton, spybot, ad-aware, zone-alarm and a couple others, trojans still get thru every once in a while. Norton locks me computer up once in a while, and the update may work right once a month, but it is an older version, and my computer is old so maybe that is the reason...havn't used any other av software so can't be too judgemental...just a few thoughts... Chief

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I had Mcaffes. When subscription expired I tried to update it and could not download it. I was online with technical help and they could not figure why it would not download. I saw a thread for pcchillin and did a check and it found two virus on my XP machine that mcaffes sweep did not detect. I got the year of pc chillin with fire wall for 40 bucks instead of the 80 mcaffes wanted. Good luck Les.

Homerr

Commander

My 2 cents?<br /><br />Norton is a pile of junk. I use Trend Micro Interent Security.<br /><br />I've proven on my computer and many of my friends that Norton will either leave virus fragments behind, or not detect them at all. Trend Micro will finds those items Norton left behind.<br /><br />Trend micro doesn't hog your system down like Norton does either. I have a power PC with a 2+gig CPU, and 1 gig of ram. Norton STILL hogged my system to a crawl when it scanned.<br /><br />With Trend Micro, you hardly notice it's there.<br />It downloads definitions and updates DAILY. Norton doesn't.<br /><br />I'll won't use Norton again. Too expensive, and not as effective.<br /><br />I tried McAfee once. It was a free subscription, and when I tried to update, it said it was already expired. Now how could that be when the disk was brand new at the time and current?<br />I un-installed it and never tried it again.<br /><br />I'll use Trend Micro until something better comes along.<br /><br />Wanna try a test if you are using Norton?<br /><br />Scan your system using Norton (make sure it's updated)<br /><br />Didn't find any bugs? Good!<br />Now go here and try this test at Trend micro's site:<br /><br /> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp <br /><br />Some of you won't find anything, thus Norton finally did something right... But some of you will find stuff that Norton left behind.<br /><br /><br />H.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Norton Anti!!!!<br />It up dates it self ,but I do my own updating most every day and I also use the full system sacn which also is automatic but I also do it on my own on ocassion!!!!<br />I bought the DVD so that if lost or any trouble I can reprogram!!!! ;) :cool:

KaGee

Admiral

I can see this is turning out to possibly be like the mega oil thread!

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

My subscription, for my new machine, expired.<br />so, I placed the norton anti virius cd, from my old computer, (2002). I then installed that and it was accecpted and updated itself for free---again! Ha! I beat the system!...sl

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Norton with auto update and auto scan.<br /><br />When I've had problems their tech support was very precise.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Homerr:<br /> My 2 cents?<br /><br />Trend micro doesn't hog your system down like Norton does either. I have a power PC with a 2+gig CPU, and 1 gig of ram. Norton STILL hogged my system to a crawl when it scanned.<br /><br />With Trend Micro, you hardly notice it's there.<br />It downloads definitions and updates DAILY. Norton doesn't.<br />
Maybe the Norton you have and the one I have are different. I am not being a staunch supporter of Norton, I just (like you) have found nothing better yet, for me. However, I have a Norton that runs LiveUpdate EVERY day, and updates the program, teh firewall (since I run that also) and Virus Defs EVERY day, er night, since I set it up to do that. Once it is updated EVERY night, I then have it scheduled to run Virus scan at about 3AM, thus even if it does hog the system it is done while I am asleep and what does it matter?<br /><br />I have not used TM's product in a number of years, since Norton does such a great job, but I am going to try it out at your recommendation, and see what they are up to these days.

Homerr

Commander

I wouldn't count on that Steve...<br /><br />I tried that old trick one time and it didn't work. Auto-update kept downloading an old definition file.<br /><br />The only way I found that out was when I did a manual update (d/l file from their site) and noticed the file was different.<br />I then tried to install the new file, and it gave me the 'subscription expired' message.<br /><br />Just make sure you are getting the newest virus definitions. Check it against their web site where they offer a manual download.<br /><br />Better yet... get Trend. :) <br />Newegg.com is offering a download version for $31.99:<br /><br /> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=1297339SF&depa=0 <br /><br />Flatbottom... You could be right... I haven't ran Norton in some time. They may have finally got their act together and made some improvements.<br />My biggest complaint with them was the system resources. It just bogged my system so bad, you had to walk away until it was done.<br /><br />H.