Antenna plug

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to remove and replace the plug on a Garmin 182 chart plotter/fish-finder mushroom antenna wire to feed it through a new mount . What problems will I get into If I cut it off and install a new one after getting it through everything?
Thanks for any help.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If I remember correctly (had a 162) Garmin used coaxial cable on those antennas.

Don’t remember the connector being all that much bigger than the cable itself. Why not pull and reroute?

Splicing a coax isn’t complicated, but it has to be done correctly. Guessing someone makes an in-line splice kit by now given the market size of cable tv

A lot cleaner to dissemble the antenna, remove the cable from its termination points inside the antenna, cut then resolder connections

The bigger issue is the fact that the unit and antenna have been NLA going on 20 years. Going to have a hard time finding a new antenna if this one gets messed up

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I concur with @dingbat's idea as well. Any time you cut coax and splice it, you loose a little capability with such a cable. I would try to remove the cable at its' connection points and go that route... JMHO

GasCan II

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks guys but the antenna is the mushroom type and is sealed,no access. I want to remove the plug and replace it with a new one. How bad is this going to be? Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys but the antenna is the mushroom type and is sealed,no access. I want to remove the plug and replace it with a new one. How bad is this going to be? Thanks
Pretty sure Garmin used a crimped BNC connector on that unit.

Don’t know if anyone makes a BNC that doesn’t require crimp tools