Antenna Layout

rrjury

Cadet
Hi There
I have a fiberglass hard top and would like some help laying out the perfered location for VHF, Radar, Gps outriggers for an efficient and good looking profile. Does anyone have a print, an magazine article or web site for typical locations for the above.
Thanks in advance
RR Jury

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Antenna Layout

Let's do this - your radome will be the center of attention and it really should be up to the installing technician as to where it goes. As a lay person I would say that it needs to go on the strongest point that returns the best reflectivity.
Now you didn't mention whether this wil be an open array or closed unit.
Let the installer guide you through this - he is the professional.
As far as the rest of the mounts are concerned it will probably regulated as to the length of your leads.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Not exactly a hard top (or a great image), but here's a shot of my neighbors Sea Ray. He had the top installed last year and laid out exactly where he wanted the accessiories (so the backing plates were in the right spots). He knows what he's doing- he's a Patrol Boat Captain at a local military base.
He doesn't have radar but maybe you can get some ideas from his setup. I have another picture taken from the rear if you think it'll help.

AmandaLynn.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What outriggers are you installing?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

First some info on your boat or a picture would be a big help.
Do not do what the boat in the picture has done.
When I see a setup like that I figure the guy knows nothing about electronics at all.
The longer antenna look to be 8 foot 6 DB Gain antennas and setup like that would only transmit to the sides of the boat for any range.
6 db gain antennas transmit in a very narrow horzional beam,
So transmission to the stern will transmit into the water just a few yards behind the boat.
Transmission toward the bow will go into the air and again have a very short range.
They should be Vertical for the longest range.

A lot depends where you will use the boat. Many times I think the VHF antenna should be mounted on the boat deck on a laydown type mount.
Add an antenna extension to get the base of the antenna above the hard top.
Then add a antenna support that attaches to the hard top for support.
Reason for this is it gets you antenna up above the cab and you have a very solid mount.
Still for traliering the boat can lay the antenna down on the side.
Also out here if your approching a low bridge and the only reason you would need a bridge to lift is the antenna they expect you to lay the antenna down.
They will not stop traffic and raise bridge for your anttena to clear the bridge.

Radar should be on the centerline of the boat and also level to the water when running.
Also should be high enough that people standing anywhere on the boat are out of the radation pattern.