Antenna Hidden

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Antenna Hidden

Knightgang
This will be my last post here so you can have the last word.
My whole point of the my first post is the antenna should be mounted properly so it ready to be used in an emergency.

The average boat of his type with a 6 db 8 foot antenna has a range of 5 miles PLUS the range of the other station.
Boat to Boat for small boats the average range is about 10 miles.

You did not agree the other station made any difference.

Boat to a Coast Guard Station with antenna mounted on top of mountains 3000 feet high can be 80 miles or more.

I not sure how you define range. To me it is the range to the horzion.
If that is not range and you are talking about range above the horzion then the range is infinite as the signal go on forever it just gets weaker. It can reach sattelites and planets. Example Voyager Space craft was line of site frequency and was less power than a marine radio and was in contact until it passed pluto the last planet in our system

Larger ocean vessals have antenna mounted higher so have more range but boat to boat it is not hundreds of miles across open ocean on a VHF Marine radio. To land stations with antenna mounted very high up on mountains and multiple antenna location linked together longer ranges can be acheived.
A boat with an antenna top at 30 feet above the water range is about 7.8 miles plus the range of the other station.
A boat with an antenna top at 60 feet above the water the range is about 11 miles plus the range of the other station.

For boats to talk to other boats hundreds of miles acrossed open ocean they have to be useing a lower frequency that is not line of site or have to be useing Sattelites or some type of repeater system. They are not using a VHF marine radio.

Have a nice day.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Boatist, do not get offended as I feel this has been a very educational post for many readers...

However you said...
You did not agree the other station made any difference.

And I did agree with that here...
If the height of the receiving station is higher than theirs, then they can talk further than that...

I just feel that saying the Radio Horizon is the range is misleading. Yes, it factors into the range, but it is not the range as total range depends on the the receiving station. You might claim it is the range of "Your" station, but you need two stations to talk, therefore range can be indefinite... But in reality, I agree the average range between two averge stations (or boats) is about 10 miles... Therefore, I would say that my talk range is apprx. 10 miles, not the 5 that is the radio horizon...

If I were to go to buy a radio and the salesmans say that the range is 5 miles, but I can talk up to 10 miles, I would look at him like he had 2 heads. See what I mean.

Like I said man, great info here and a nice debate, I enjoyed it...

Smile and have a nice day no hard feelings...

rbh

Fleet Admiral

UH-
can you guys break this down into TX, RX, whip versus yagi:D