Antenna for 203FX

mckenzig

Cadet
HI adding a VHF radio to a 204FX center console - garmin VHF 115. It has a t-top that I'd like to add an antenna to.

I've seen recommendations for an 8ft Shakepeare 5101 but it just feels large for boat that will never go more that 2 miles offshore and is in an urban area (Bronx, NY).

I'm leaning towards a 4ft Shakespeare but the shorter ones have lower gain (3dB comapared to 6dB for the longer Antenna).

Any thoughts on if 4' is likely to be sufficient?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I've seen recommendations for an 8ft Shakepeare 5101 but it just feels large for boat that will never go more that 2 miles offshore and is in an urban area (Bronx, NY).
Couple of things....
People tend to wildly under estimate distances over water. I'm 5 miles out of the inlet before I look in the rear mirror.

VHF is line of sight. Don't count on talking to anyone on shore at any given time due to ground clutter. Your fellow boaters are your best hope of rescue.

I'm leaning towards a 4ft Shakespeare but the shorter ones have lower gain (3dB comapared to 6dB for the longer Antenna).

Any thoughts on if 4' is likely to be sufficient?
Sufficient for what.......

VHF is your life line........you can never have too much range. Your better off with 5 miles more than expected than 1/4 mile short when needed ;).

I'm run twin 5225-XT (VHF and backup/Radio) on my hardtop. Gives me a pretty solid 10 mile radius on the water.

Weather can have a huge affect on coverage range. On "skip" days I can talk to the bridge tower 25 miles away. On rough days, you can struggle to get contact the boat within eye sight, 2-3 miles away. Even worst if I had 3db antennas.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Go 8' or larger

Remember to lower going under bridges