Another "what do you think of this boat" thread

Hit It

Seaman
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping for some input on a boat that I'm looking pretty seriously at. It is a 1990 Maxum 21 footer. Has the 4.3L V6 merc engine. I checked it out tonight, everything seems pretty solid. Floor is solid, couldn't find any rotted spots. Transom solid. Engine is clean, looks well maintained. Haven't had a chance for a sea trial yet. Any sale would be contingent upon a satisfactory trial. For the age of this boat the interior is in remarkable shape. All of the vinyl was still soft, no rips, tears or cracks. Carpet a bit worn, which is to be expected, but not ripped or torn anywhere. Looks like its been well maintained. They're asking $5,000. What do you guys think?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another "what do you think of this boat" thread

That sounds like a good deal. Why are they selling it? Maxum is a good boat, if I remember correctly, that would have the dark maroon on the sides, or is it the dark green? If that color is faded, a few coats of baby oil does magic. A 21 foot bowrider in good condition with a 4.3 (maybe a small engine for that size boat, compared to most boats nowadays) is easily worth $5k. If sea trial goes well, I would go for it.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Doesn't sound crazy too me. Some people actually do take care of their stuff.

Something to think about... tell him you want a marine mechanic of your choosing to check her out, and you'll pay full price for the boat if all is well and he covers the mechanic bill (should only be a couple bills). If she checks out he gets $4700 or so (cost minus mechanic), if not then you have room to negotiate.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any sale would be contingent upon a satisfactory trial.

Sounds like a good boat for a good price and you're being smart about it. Good luck.

Hit It

Seaman

Well, I pulled the trigger on this one. Had it out to the lake today and everything checked out. I'm a happy camper for now. Thanks for all of the advice guys.

rs1lollie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got a 1990 1800 maxum 3.0l this summer, it is in awesome shape, paid $4300. the owner I bought it from took very good care of my boat, even the engine compartment under engine is still white!!! sounds like a good deal. I love mine!!!

Attachments

• 100_0258.JPG
    100_0258.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0259.JPG
    100_0259.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0261.JPG
    100_0261.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_0257.JPG
    100_0257.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 0

Hit It

Seaman

Sweet, that looks a lot like mine. I'll post some pics when I get a chance to take some. Hopefully tomorrow.