another tilt trim question

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey to all. Ok i am looking over all the old threads and i know that up is blue down is green on my tilt trim motor and solinodes, on a 90 hp mariner. the switch in throttle handle burned up. yep shorted out from previous owner's handy work! so I am tring to find a way to rehook it up. like i said blue up green down, But whats the PURPLE for?? please any advice! i am putting a toggle switch in beside steering wheel, for trim switch. i know it needs to be 5 amp or better. and i need a inline fuse. but need to know what purple wire going to control panel is for.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: another tilt trim question

Purple is normally switched power. Another words it only has power (12V) on it when the key is turned on.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

so umm... if I put a toggle switch for my tilt trim. that isn't a bass pro or iboats tilt trim switch. and not pre-wired with a pig tail. Where does the purple wire need to go? does it need to be wired with blue wire for trailer switch purposes, or just cap it off for say, and not let it go to anything. thanks for the help and advice.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am not sure what motor you are discussing, but Merc used purple from the tilt limit switch to the trim switch. They wired the battery voltage to the trim limit switch, and then to the trim switch. The tilt switch had direct +12V on it.

If you plan to install a single trim/tilt switch, you might bypass the trim limit switch and run +12V direct to the trim/tilt switch.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

so while working on running wires for new switch. I put jumper cables from battery to up and down solenodes and motot runs great, but wouldn't pull 90hp mariner off ground. I am wondering if low oil levels would effect trim/tilt not pulling up? And if there was a way to get old oil out,? and what type of oil needs (or preferred) to go back in? to cold out to play to much!! Thanks for help!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Low/no oil can definately cause PTT unit to malfunction. Different PTT using used different kinds of oil. What motor are we discussing?

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

O sorry, Its a 90hp mariner inline 6, 1978 model. thanks. can you help me with getting old oil out, i don't want to make big mess! but do it right also, so I can refill with new oil. and make sure its the right kind for my tilt/trim pump. thanks again

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Unless the old oil is dirty, you can leave it alone. Dump a bit out of the pump and see what color it is. Those PTT units called for SAE 5W-30 motor oil, however a lot of folks used Auto Trans Fluid. You do not want to mix 'em. ATF is blood red and clear.

After you fill the pump resevoir, you will need to bleed the trim cylinders,

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, thats what i was worried about. the mixing. I will try to check and drain to, make sure oil is ok. amd refill. didn't want to fill it up and then it be half and half. thanks for your help.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

noticed there are a few allen head bolts and stainless steal lines that go into cylinders, which one (s) draines cylinders?

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i do have ATF in pump housing, looks good red, but clear. put a little more to fill it up. do i still need to drain cylinders or are they self bleeding on a 90hp mariner inline 6. thanks for help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remove the bleed screws (oval head straight slot) located on top of the cylinder next to the grease fitting and next to the spot where the two hoses connect. Remove the cylinders and pump them to blow out the old oil. Run the pump to drain it as well. Don't burn it up.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok sounds good, remove them from top or bottom end? And another problem i just found, I put more ATF in reservor with motor up and closed releave valve. Unlocked motor and it went back down to floor, now trim motor is running great wide open, but not picking up 90hp motor. well it did an inch then stopped, but still very very slow. What is that from? when i filled up reservor it appeared to be over flowing, so i figured that was enough. and like i said, then i let it down to try to pick up 90hp.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tighten manual release. Remove bleed screw on the top end of the cylinder. Run motor in down direction until all air is out. Install bleed screw and repeat for other cylinder. Now remove cylinder from motor and face other bleed screw up. Remove bleed scre and run motor in up direction until all air is out. Install screw. Repeat with other cylinder. Keep motor resevoir full at all times.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

well did I you told me. Drained cylinders same as you told me, and kept oil filled in resevoir. And 90hp will go up and down. BUT my tilt /trim i think is dieing, because i am hooking it straight up to battery with jumper cables, so motor is stalling after picking up a little bit, and I wait a minute or so and hook it up and it goes up a little more, and a lit more and so on. now down it goes faster. I know less resitacne, but still stops half way down. tilt/trim isn't getting hot from outside. but does pop after it stalles. What can i do or needs to be done?? I really don't want to (or money to) buy a tilt motor. Thanks for you help and time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Disassemble the tilt motor, and check it over. You should find a bi-metal overload device. it may be rusty/dirty. You can clean it up with some fine emory or sandpaper. Not too much rubbing, however. The overload device may be causing your cut-out behavior, because it opens when it get's hot (due to a short or high resistance).

Clean the commutator with fine paper, and run a point between them to get any stuff that might short them out. Check the condition of the brushes, and wiring from them to the field and other connections. Perhaps you can save the motor. You can use some wd-40 or equivalent to clean up the motor. Stay away from water or any solvent.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok will check that out, what does the bi-metal device overload device look like?

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the other thing is it was turning wide open before i drained cylinders. when it had no compression it was fast as i could ask for, but with compression its slow. Thanks for your help.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I figured it out! I backed off of screws not even a 1/4 of a turn and it works great now. Up and Down not stopping or anything. i must have had it to tight or something. Thanks for every ones help. going to eletrical to fig out switch problem, i may have wrong switch. i think switch must have to grounded. because where toggle is there is a metal plate behind, like you have to have it grounded to something metal. which won't work on boat. so i think it the wrong type of switch.

hereto

Seaman

You say it is working fine now. Exactly which screws did you back out 1/4 inch.

Thanks, hereto