Another problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well... I went to drain the water out of the block on my 4.3. Got one out and guess what? Frickin stripped the allen head on the second one. :mad: Wish I would of changed them to brass before I put the motor back in the boat. I can't beleive how hard they are in there.

Now i have to try and get a drill down there to get an EZ out in it. Probably gonna end up pulling the motor again. I guess at least now i have experience doing it.

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Another problem!

Are they steel? Steel plugs should never be used for raw water drains! And you should pull engine so you dont bungle threads in the block. 'nutcase

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes they are steel. Its a new motor and i just thought it would be easy to replace them. I have the brass ones from my old motor that i was going to use.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

More hindsight, but when you put the plugs in, use lots of antiseize on brass or steel.
Mike

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now i have to try and get a drill down there to get an EZ out in it.

...PLEASE don't use an EasyOut in such a confined space...you're begging for more trouble!!!

....taking off on the hot-allenwrench-in-the-plastic-plug concept: Do y'all think an allenwrench 5200-ed in the plug would work (given ample time to cure)??

I wouldn't want to pull an engine for a crudy plug either.
Ed in 'ol Virginny

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So if i run the antifreeze through it, with only one side being drained, do you think it freeze?

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Don't take a chance on that. The plug has to come out one way or another.

How about cementing the allen wrench in place with some JB Weld and letting it cure for a day or so before trying to loosen it again? It might be worth a try.

If you had room, you could mig weld the allen wrench in place, but you may not have room to work safely.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Once you do get that plug out, be sure to put a brass plug in. I don't like the plugs that take an allen wrench to remove and install.

Each side of my 4.3 has a double brass fitting - a larger fitting into the block and then a smaller 7/16" inner plug that is the one that is removed for draining. A 7/16" socket is used for removal. It has come out easily every fall since the boat was new in 1992.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So if i run the antifreeze through it, with only one side being drained, do you think it freeze?

I wouldn't take that chance. Don't want to replace that new motor , do ya?:D

If I remember you have a Baja with a fairly roomy bilge. If it were me I'd take a shot at getting that plug out with a left hand drill bit , cutting fluid and go slowly. Sometimes a LH bit is all one needs. If it fails, the motor's coming out anyway......

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the tips... I'll see what i can do. I know it needs to come out.

Bondo

Staff member

...PLEASE don't use an EasyOut in such a confined space...you're begging for more trouble!!!

huh,..??

Drill the center,+ Easy-out it Out....

Alumarine

Captain

Also, these plugs do not have to be super tight.

They are tapered and there is very little water pressure.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

huh,..??

Drill the center,+ Easy-out it Out....

That might work if you have the space to operate a drill. They make those compact 90 degree drills for tight spaces; Milwaukee makes one anyway. As someone mentioned, drilling (if not done carefully enough) could damage the threads in the block. And easy outs are brittle and often snap with a little too much pressure. Since they are a very hard metal, drilling them out ain't easy.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

if you have some of the six sided star tools you could try drifting a slightly larger one of those into the knackered hex hole as its worked 4 me in the past.good luck

Ohioriver

Seaman

If your afraid of the block freezing before you can get the plug out, I would put the other plug in, warm the block up on the hose, then add antifreeze through the muffs, ( 5 gal. ) so the block will have plenty of antifreeze in it until you can fix it.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

dingdongs if you have some of the six sided star tools you could try drifting a slightly larger one of those into the knackered hex hole as its worked 4 me in the past.good luck

Tried that. Didn't work. Just made it worse.

Ohioriver If your afraid of the block freezing before you can get the plug out, I would put the other plug in, warm the block up on the hose, then add antifreeze through the muffs, ( 5 gal. ) so the block will have plenty of antifreeze in it until you can fix it.

Deffinately considering that. Temps aren't getting that cold here, yet. Lower to mid 30's over night.

Will keep you guys posted on how i get it out. Probably work on it this weekend.

Ohioriver

Seaman

I haven't had the best luck with "easy outs", broke them many times, now I drill like Im going to use a easy out, then just keep going bigger with drill bits until Im going to start hitting threads and whats left ends up falling out or I knock out whats left with a hammer and screwdriver, then retap the threads if nessessary.

Druff1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, gave it a shot today. Tried beating in the torx. Still no good. I actually went up to anothe torx size to try and get it. I picked up a big EZ out tonight. Gonna give that a shot tomorrow. I may have to get a 90 degree drill to get in there. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.