Another Plumbing Question

alldodge

Staff member
The pic shows what I found. This is a Rheem water heater, one of their forever tank models (bladder type). I installed about 2 years ago and at first there was a slight leak. Tightened it up and all good until now.

It looks wet but it's not. On top is a dielectric union and bottom is brass. It looks to me like galvanic corrosion and it's rusting bad. What ya'll think

Attachments

• 20230326_105532.jpg
    20230326_105532.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Deep thoughts….. Get rid of the galvanized fitting. Put copper or brass one on there.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you have hard water there may be sediment on heater as well

There is an anode rod usually in the heater wonder if it is getting expended due to water chemistry. Would check that and replace the dielectric coupling

alldodge

Staff member
If you have hard water there may be sediment on heater as well

There is an anode rod usually in the heater wonder if it is getting expended due to water chemistry. Would check that and replace the dielectric coupling
Don't know but the tank is about 2 years old, and it is a bladder tank so no metal in it.

I changed it out to all brass so I'll keep a watch on it

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Don't know but the tank is about 2 years old, and it is a bladder tank so no metal in it.

I changed it out to all brass so I'll keep a watch on it
Check your ground/loop connections....three times
Had a similar issue with the hot water heater when we first bought our house.

PO ran galvanized conduit, wedged behind a cast iron drain pipe, to run the power from the floor joists to the top of the unit. They then tied ground (Earth) to the copper water pipes.

Had a real fuzz ball going on the earth connection on the pipe by the time I stumbled upon the issue. Was starting to "react" where the galv was touching the sewer pipe as well.

Found the bottom element was out in the process of troubling shooting and replaced the unit. Replaced the galv conduit with plastic and removed earth connection from water pipes in the process.

I'm not sure what was actually causing the problem. Could have been a current leak from the bad heating element for all I know. Have not had a problem sine

alldodge

Staff member
Good thought, have looked quite a bit on the electrical side. Main panel is done correctly from what I've seen, disconnect is good

House built in 2007 and all water lines are Pex except where lines come out of the wall. Being there is no ground except from power feed, it sure looks to be from dissimilar metals

flashback

Captain
I live on a well, the circuit for the pump may be using the steel pipe. The stainless feed line to galvanized may be the problem..?

alldodge

Staff member
I live on a well, the circuit for the pump may be using the steel pipe. The stainless feed line to galvanized may be the problem..?
Not here, City water and Pex from meter to house

My house has copper from meter in to house and all copper pipes. Have regular metal electric water heater with diaelectric unions on in and out and very little corrosion but there is a trace after 4 years so far.

flashback

Captain
Maybe the iron content in the water, that's a lot of rust. I get calcium deposits.