Another "outdrive won't go on" thread...

sputnikv8

Cadet
Ugh. Frustrating when it doesn't go on that last 1/4". Here's the deal:

OMC Cobra, new Gimbal bearing, new shift cable, new bellows. I used the search tool and got all the tips on tapping the alignment bar to get the bearing to seat in its race and then try alignment. I can get the bar in and out with minimal effort.

I get the drive on but can't get the last 1/4". I've put oil on the o-rings and retried. I then was curious just how far up the shaft I'm getting, so, I put a tiny dab of grease on the 2 o-rings. I am getting past the first oring and not getting to the 2nd one. Checking the spline grease, I'm getting about 1" into the coupler.

Are there any other good tips?

sputnikv8

Cadet
Re: Another "outdrive won't go on" thread...

(bump)

And another question about this... how much of the shaft splines do engage the coupler?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The alignment bar should be going into the coupler with almost no effort. Put grease on your alignment bar and look at which side has the grease scraped off and align the engine better.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

step 1... align engine...
step 2... rotate engine 90 degrees.... and check alignment again...
step 3... kick it!!!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Did you have too much grease on the end of the shaft which is now inside the coupler? Too much grease is hard to compress and it has no where to go.

cheburashka

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm not sure about this, since it's an OMC, but I'd assume that you've got the same kind of seal in the bell housing that a Mercury does. Since the outdrive has to compress that seal to make everything watertight, I don't see how you could ever have the outdrive sit absolutely flush against the bell housing without tightening down the nuts.

I had this problem on my Mercruiser outdrive, although the gap was closer to 1/8" than 1/4". The drive slid in smooth until it hit that seal, and then needed to be pulled on the rest of the way by tightening the mounting nuts.