Another Mercury 115 question - Control Cables

I have another thread going but in response to some rough running at specific throttle conditions I went through the service manual procedure to link & sync everything as well as set the timing. Pro Tip: If you're using a timing light with advance built in and nothing is making sense....check the advance on your light :rolleyes: We'll see this weekend if I got it right or made a mess of things, I guess.

In any case, setting the throttle control cable is proving to be a bit challenging, it almost seems like it's too long. First picture is at full throttle, and the plastic end hits the adjuster barrel. At idle, there's more pretension than there should be on the cable per the manual. Do these even look right? I haven't torn in to the throttle at all but is it possible someone swapped the shift and throttle cables? I'm looking at other Mercury cables online and the motor ends seem different on those vs. what I have here.

Attachments

• IMG_2518.jpeg
    IMG_2518.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 11

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. We talking about the throttle or the gear cable here ? Cheers.

The throttle cable (top one in the pic).

At full throttle, the plastic end on it hits the barrel adjuster / bracket before I can get to the full throttle stop or the carb butterflies open all the way. It's maybe 1/4-3/8" of travel left in the throttle arm?

I'm just not seeing any way to fix it via adjustments unless I'm missing something. I was just about to hack 1/2" or so off of that plastic piece but figured I might as well check before doing something dumb.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The throttle cable (top one in the pic).

At full throttle, the plastic end on it hits the barrel adjuster / bracket before I can get to the full throttle stop or the carb butterflies open all the way. It's maybe 1/4-3/8" of travel left in the throttle arm?

I'm just not seeing any way to fix it via adjustments unless I'm missing something. I was just about to hack 1/2" or so off of that plastic piece but figured I might as well check before doing something dumb.
Ok. How’s the adjustment at the control box looking ?