another fuel filter question

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: another fuel filter question

You don't want those at all. What is wrong with your engines water seperating fuel filters. They work about a 1000 times better than those inline lawnmower filters.

Bondo Again

Seaman

Ayuh,...... I Agree,...

A Spin-on Cannister Filter is Miles ahead of that thing......
Both in Flow,+ Filtration....

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree and I do have them, but I installed fuel flow meters and the transducers needed to be down stream of the "primary fuel filter" and also not next to anywhere where it can be subjected to excessive heat or vibrations. My Fuel/Water filter assembly is mounted to the manifolds/risers and then its hard fuel line to the fuel pump, and then hard line to the carbs. I'm reluctant to mounting the transducers between the filter and pump due to these reasons. Therefore I moved them upstream to the "firewall" where there is 3/8 inch flexable fuel line, although I really needed to put a filter before it. These were recommend as being quality filters by a MecCruiser service vendor and they were $50 each..so I assume there good... I'm just wonder what the filtration quality is for them because the tranducer is looking for a 30 micron filter.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

So mount a Cannister type fuel filter Before the transducer,....
The cannister Filters are, What,..?? $10.00 each....
Those $50.00 filters will be the 1s that fill with Crud 1st,+ will be $50.00 a Pop to replace them.....
The cannisters that are the originals will probably Never see any crud, just because of the 1s ahead of them...

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe I was chincing out plus I dont really have the real estate on the firewall for the canister type assemblies. Do you have a recommendation of a cost effective assembly that I can firewall mount assuming I can get creative and get both of them mounted?

Bondo

Staff member

I dont really have the real estate on the firewall for the canister type assemblies.

Ayuh,.... Maybe rearranging the real estate alittle,..??....

As I was pointing out above, This is going to be your Primary Fuel Filter,...
It's going to fill up with ALL of the crap known to exist in a boat's fuel system,...
Going to a High Dollar Throw-away filter makes No Sense at All to Me....
That's where you Want a cannister filter....

Unscrew it into a plastic baggie,+ toss it, or inspect it's contents,+ then toss it......
Screw on another $10.00 filter,+ Go Boating......
Or,......
Mess around disconnecting that pickup truck inline filter, with a bunch of wrenches, spilling Gas all over the bilge,.....
And, then bolting back in Another $50.00 filter,..??.....

With it's tiny reserve capacity,.... A dose of Water from a marina fill-up could run into Huge Money before it's resolved......