Another father-son boating day goes well

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The background is that 12 months ago my first-born then 13 y.o son ignored my instructions and succeeded in ramming the motor I'd just rebuilt into gear at about 3,000+ rpm. Destroyed the prop, but not the shear pin which is an engineering marvel. When I find the engineer responsible for it I intend to insert it in him in such a way that he, too, will marvel at its indestructability. For the rest of his painful life.<br /><br />My son knows everything. I'm surprised he hasn't been headhunted by NASA. His mother and I would be just as happy if he was headhunted by a tribe of Amazonian headshrinkers, but they probably don't have a pot big enough to fit his head in.<br /><br />Aanyway, we start the outing in the ramp queue with him telling me where the change point is for gear selection by lever position on the two lever set up and refusing to accept me telling him that it's by ear not lever position and that if he does it wrong he'll destroy another prop. I try to get the message through that it's important to follow my instructions.<br /><br />Then we have the comical exercise at the dock where I'm adjusting the gear selector after everything was disconnected to repaint the powerhead. I've told him to hold the rope while I fiddle around to get it right as I go forward and back catching the gears. Suddenly he jumps aboard as I'm drifting away from the dock with no power having found reverse and stalled it, with me at the back of the boat.<br /><br />"Why did you do that?<br /><br />"I didn't want to get left behind."<br /><br />"If you'd stayed on the dock and held onto the bloody rope like I told you, you wouldn't have been. And we wouldn't be about to bang the boat behind us."<br /><br />I avoid hitting the other boat.<br /><br />I sort out the gears.<br /><br />I impress on him again the importance of following my instructions. He gets upset and says I don't need to keep going on about it.<br /><br />I let him take her out through the channel so he can learn. I want this to be a positive experience for him. <br /><br />We have a few more blues about trivia like where the right of the channel is and why it doesn't matter what the rules are when some moron is flying down the middle of the channel at speed and we're in the middle too (despite me telling him to keep right but he knows better although he's steering for the wrong mark) and we have as much right to be there as the other boat as the other boat should be on the left. Finally I get my pig-headed child to accept to just keep out of their way and go to the right. <br /><br />His selective and one-sided interpretation of the rules makes me really look forward to when he starts learning to drive a car and forces a give way to the right situation on rules rather than sense. I'm beginning to think that he can learn in his mother's car, which wasn't my original intention.<br /><br />Now it's time to come back after a short trip and a bit of tension over a few issues which make me think that if we were a couple of hundred yards closer to shore I'd dive overboard and swim ashore and let Mr. Smartar*e bring it in by himself seeing how he knows everything. Except he'd probably try to save me and cut me with the prop. <br /><br />I think that instead of dwelling on negatives I should build his confidence by letting him dock it, which he hasn't done before.<br /><br />I impress again on him the importance of following my instructions. I don't want the boat run into the dock at speed or another boat damaged.<br /><br />He does a very good job for a first attempt, or any attempt, of bringing it in to the dock against the tide. I tell him to put it in reverse as we approach on the last few feet. Then I jump onto the dock. Now I'm on the dock and he's motoring along beside it still in forward gear.<br /><br />"Put it in reverse!"<br /><br />Now I'm moving along the dock yelling at him to put it in reverse, but he's just steering it parallel to the dock. <br /><br />As we reach the end of the short dock, I have a 15' boat heading away under control of a disobedient idiot son while I'm holding 20' of rope. The rope is longer than the boat because the dock and tide fall require it that length to lead the boat onto the trailer. If I let go of the rope (a) my idiot son will head out by himself which mighn't be that good in light of recent events and (b) the rope will tangle in the prop. <br /><br />I yell at him to turn it off. At least he does that.<br /><br />So without thinking I hang onto the rope to save my son as now he has no power and is heading away from the dock. <br /><br />I learn suddenly that a boat moving at a slow speed without power can still produce a nasty rope burn, but it's that or lose the kid. Then again, maybe I should have lost the kid.<br /><br />When I get him on the dock I ask him, in not very gentle terms, why he didn't put it in reverse when I told him to do it. Several times.<br /><br />"Because I knew I'd break the prop again and you'd be mad at me."<br /><br />"Do you think I'd be telling you to put it in reverse if I thought it would do any damage?"<br /><br />Ultimately: "No."<br /><br />I show him my rope burnt hands. <br /><br />"Do you think this might make me mad?"<br /><br />"Yes."<br /><br />After some more discussion I begin to think that he might actually be beginning to get the message on following instructions.<br /><br />But not to the extent that I want him learning to drive in my car.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Another father-son boating day goes well

Yea some of them are hardheaded for sure.<br />That's what's wrong with a lot of them today, they think they know everything and don't know squat about anything.<br /><br />Maybe he will listen from now on, or maybe a little anyway.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Yea some of them are hardheaded for sure.<br />That's what's wrong with a lot of them today, they think they know everything and don't know squat about anything.<br /><br />Maybe he will listen from now on, or maybe a little anyway.
My father probably had the same opinion about me. (Actually, from a lot of things he's said I know he did.)<br /><br />Then again, what did he know?<br /><br />Every generation goes through it.<br /><br />It's just that my son must be an alien stuffed in his mother's womb by a tiny meteor or something. That's her opinion anyway.

JB

Boy, that makes me feel very fortunate.<br /><br />My son and I have fished together for about 32 years now, and his son has been with us the last ten or so.<br /><br />Both of them took boating courses before operating the boat. Never had a problem that I didn't cause. Then they get me out of trouble. :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

I was going to add, that my 3 girls all can operate my boats. Either fishing, running trolling motors or just relaxing on the toon.<br /><br />We took them at early age on the boats and taught them as they grew.<br /><br />I can safely say that I would turn them loose with any of my boats and not worry about them.<br /><br />A good boating safety course is a good idea for anyone.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Now go buy him a new fishing rod and tell him to get ready for the next trip out. If you can't afford ha new fishing rod for him, do it anyway, so he knows you mean it.<br /><br />Speaking from experience ( my head is as hard as diamonds ), try asking him to do things your way to see if they work, and explain why. <br />My father always "told" me what to do. But he never told me why, or "asked" me to do anything. I quickly built a wall of resentment and "attitude" between us.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Now go buy him a new fishing rod and tell him to get ready for the next trip out. If you can't afford ha new fishing rod for him, do it anyway, so he knows you mean it.<br /><br />Speaking from experience ( my head is as hard as diamonds ), try asking him to do things your way to see if they work, and explain why. <br />My father always "told" me what to do. But he never told me why, or "asked" me to do anything. I quickly built a wall of resentment and "attitude" between us.
Been there, done that. <br /><br />He's just headstrong and impatient and wants to run before he can crawl. Just like his old man.<br /><br />The good part is that, like his old man, he learns slowly from these sorts of events and usually apologises voluntarily later and can see where he went wrong when we discuss it calmly a while later. <br /><br />If he's like his old man he should be right by his late teens. By the time I was in the army I could actually follow most insructions, even ones I knew were stupid or wrong, which saved me a lot of trouble.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Cool, took me till the age of 35.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br /> Cool, took me till the age of 35.
I didn't say I ever got 100% obedient. I'm 55 now and I still have my moments. <br /><br />You can still have fun being 100% obedient.<br /><br />During basic training an instructor was using us for practice in some unfamiliar company size evolutions. He got confused and instead of giving the correct order for a 90 degree turn he gave one for a 180 degree turn. Some people realised what had happened and did the 90 degree turn he wanted. Others got confused and started to turn then reverted to marching straight ahead. Naturally a few just got the order wrong and turned the other way. I obediently did the 180 degree turn and was promptly marched into by the bloke behind me, who was hit by the bloke behind him. The formation collapsed with some troops stopped and others going in various directions.<br /><br />The instructor seemed to think it was my fault, possibly because I was near the front and surrounded by a small train wreck and a lot of troops killing themselves laughing.<br /><br />He seemed to be quite upset. When I kept calmly telling him that I HAD followed his order in response to his requests for information about what the f**k did I think I was doing, in between his speculation about my parentage and so on, it just seemed to make him even more upset. <br /><br />He dismissed the formation for a rest and took me aside to yell at me some more. Eventually he asks me to show him what the f**k I thought I was doing. I got a stick and repeated his evolutions in the dirt. He agreed with everything up till the last order. Then it dawned on him. "Oh, sh*t!" he says.<br /><br />That was fun.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Good one Tinkerer. I just had to bring my 17 y/o out to read your post. I said "come read this. Some things are just universal". He got a good laugh out of it even though we are still in a bit of the head butting stage ourselves.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Tinkerer, it could be a lot worse. My son just ain't interested full stop. I don't think he's ever picked up a rod let alone want to spend time fishing/boating with me. <br /><br />As I said, could be a lot worse.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Tinkerer, it could be a lot worse. My son just ain't interested full stop. I don't think he's ever picked up a rod let alone want to spend time fishing/boating with me.
I guess I know whose not going to inherit the 'new home away from home'! :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Might sound stupid but I wish we had the opportunity to butt heads, better than nothing. The next time I will be seeing him is as a spectator in his court case, he doesn't want me or his mother there but we are going just to be able to see him.<br /><br />Tink, IMO, don't sweat it - laugh it off.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Might sound stupid but I wish we had the opportunity to butt heads, better than nothing. The next time I will be seeing him is as a spectator in his court case, he doesn't want me or his mother there but we are going to be able to see him.<br /><br />Tink, IMO, don't sweat it - laugh it off.<br /><br />Aldo
Sorry to hear, DR. Can still be tough on ol' Dad! :(

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />Sorry to hear, DR. Can still be tough on ol' Dad! :( [/QB]
You can say that again! Ya don't know the half of it boom.<br /><br />Aldo

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> Might sound stupid but I wish we had the opportunity to butt heads, better than nothing. The next time I will be seeing him is as a spectator in his court case, he doesn't want me or his mother there but we are going to be able to see him.<br /><br />Tink, IMO, don't sweat it - laugh it off.<br /><br />Aldo
I don't want to find out what that must be like.<br /><br />I hope it works out for all of you.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Wow Tinkerer! I didn't know my son lived at your house!<br /><br />Seriously, this is a great relief to me because it echoes many others' sentiments. Of course, I have always known that fathers and sons butt heads so that sons can grow up to be their own men but it still frustrates the living daylights out of one to experience it.<br /><br />My son is currently attending military school due in part to this phenomenon. I'm glad to say though that it appears to be having at least some of the desired effect as his grades are tremendously improved. It remains to be seen, however, how he will behave once the school year ends and he comes home this summer.<br /><br />I wish you luck with your boy. Just remember the words of Mark Twain: "When I was 14 years old, my father was the dumbest man alive. By the time I reached the age of 21, I couldn't believe how much he'd learned." :rolleyes: :D

SoulWinner

Commander

Tinkerer,<br /><br />I'm thinking the same thing as the Professor, except my boy is 17, but a heck of a lot yours. In fact, what you describe is just how he was at 13. <br /><br />Hey Aldo, hope your boy straightens out. I eventually did, so anything is possible!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

GOod one! Got a good laugh out of it. My son is only 8, but I know this is coming.<br /><br />What he doesnt realize is, I am the hardest headed know-it-all that ever was. He will be outmatched.<br /><br /> :D :D <br /><br />Ken

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> Hey Aldo, hope your boy straightens out. I eventually did, so anything is possible!
Me too, either he'll get the fright of his life going through the court system or a 6'4" cell mate will bring him back to reality - either way its out of my hands now.<br /><br />Aldo