another charging issue......

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
my setup uses a deep cell and a starting battery with the positives from each conneccted to a 4 way perko switch. The negatives are connected from deep cell to starting battery and motor ground to starting battery. What is the best way to keep both batteries trickle charged without running into a overcharging issue by having two batteries wired into the same system as in the previous posting by jltcym. is there a certain trickle charger that is designed for this? thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: another charging issue......

Bon Soir, Beaux.<br /><br />I would use two, modest sized trickle chargers. One on each battery.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ebbtide176

Commander
Re: another charging issue......

Bo :D not trying to diminish the info on the other topics & batteries in general.<br /> but if you charge your batteries and you run your boat, and you feel like the batteries are lasting all day, then don't worry about it- use one charger to do the job, a 10amp charger will handle 2 batteries in @ 4hrs pretty fine. best is a slower charge, like a trickle charger (2amp) for 12hrs...<br /><br />to be more stewardly on your battery levels, just goto walmart and get an elcheapo($10) voltmeter and verify the batteries are reaching 12.6v total. you should get an average since they're in parallel, and they are (each)6cells X 2.1v ea [when charged]<br /><br />to avoid overcharging is by not leaving them charging for 2days, or observing 'boiling over' type discharge from the vents, or bulging of the sides - you know, like when your hotdog is over nuked in the microwave - overcharging usually ends up overheating and boiling/drying out the cells. don't sweat it unless you leav'em charging on something bigger than a 2amp charger for over 24hrs.<br /><br />just my 2c worth ;)