Annoying Pop Up Ad (Off Topic)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
That pop up ad that is constantly sliding up at the bottom of this page annoys me to no end. I'm using AOL's pop up blocker combined with Internet Explorers pop up blocker and can't get rid of it.

It bugs me to a point whereas I'm thinking if I can't get rid of it, to simply leave iboats... and I've been here a long time. I've contacted iboats and apparently they can't prevent it from appearing. Does it bug anyone else or have I just got thin skinned in my old age? Any programs that might get rid of it?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Annoying Pop Up Ad (Off Topic)

I agree, my pop up blocker wount stop it either. Seems funny that iboats can't get rid of it.

Haffiman

Commander

I'm using Firefox and No Script and have no problem with it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

If you get Firefox or Chrome and add the AdBlock Plus plug in it goes away, along with all of the other ads.
http://adblockplus.org/en/

I just tried Explorer, and the built in pop-up blocker does not work on the iboats site.

magnumdeke

Chief Petty Officer

If you get Firefox or Chrome and add the AdBlock Plus plug in it goes away, along with all of the other ads.
http://adblockplus.org/en/

I just tried Explorer, and the built in pop-up blocker does not work on the iboats site.

THANK YOU for that link, I was in the same boat with the annoyance!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe, maybe it's just a coincidence, or maybe you've actually gotten somebody's attention, but so far this morning I haven't seen hide nor hare of that stupid popup ad. I'm in total agreement, that thing was a pain in the arse. It's one thing to have advertising along the side of a page where we can look at it and see what's being offered, but to continually have to close down a recurring popup is ridiculous.

mark1961

Ensign

Yep same here.....it seems iboats could do something about it after all.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I know next to nothing about computers I can barely function. I presently have an apple/Mac computerI don't even know what to call it. my son suggested it after my 5th or 6th wash of my 3rd computer in about 10 years.And I only go to about 10 sites though the wife does some of her favorites.Anyway my son said apple is more resistant to bugs etc.
So I got a an apple refurbished,updated one year old from the apple store. 21" HD flat panel Everything is in what appears to be a thin flat panel monitor.There is a of course a wireless router? and Time warners modem? so far no popups anywhere.
Has an amazing little wireless keyboard and mouse that does about a dozen different things. Its not cheap though.

egclassic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, I was going to post this same thread, but figured the Mods would remove it before anyone saw it.
It is annoying enough to make me want to stop visiting this great site, popping up once or twice is ok, but every single time you change pages there it is.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah Joe, the ads bugs me too... But not so much that it there, but because it seems to really slow things down. As it loads it seems my CPU utilization goes up. As it loads one cannot do anything, and that's the part that is annoying. I'm having problems with other sites to, and was told I really should switch to Chrome or FF, as both are faster than IE. But, even without a switch on my part, I do hope iboats figures (figured) out that all the ads do is annoy the heck out of the regular users. It is (hopefully was) a very poor implementation.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have been on here for a couple of years now and have never seen an ad!

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No popups today.:)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Yup. They are annoying, Joe. I hate them, too. We both remember when there was no advertising here at all, but there were only a few thousand members then. Now we have well over a quarter million. The cost of providing this wonderful place has skyrocketed.

Those ads, and others, are paying for it.

Take the advice above and you can avoid them. I can't because I insist on seeing whatever our fellow members see.

Everyone: Please respect our rule about debating iboats policy. If you have. . . well, just read it here:

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

Thanks to all for your patience and cooperation. :)

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks jb. I fully understand the need for advertising to pay for the site. Its always a balance as to how much advertising to put on a site. It seems the frequency of these slide in ads doubled about 4 or 5 weeks ago. Tolerable before, but a pain now. Since I access iboats on my cell phone about 90% of the time, these ads are difficult to work around (easier to handle on the computer).

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I apreciate all of the replies fellows. Nice to know that I'm not alone in my thin skinned old age. (Joe)

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

FYI, I finally installed Firefox and to my surprise I already had Chrome. I added adblock to both. All I can say is wow, both IE alternatives seem to be MUCH faster than IE. It's going to take a while to switch over 100%, but my initial impression is very good. Now I just need to pick one and stick with it.

PS. having the built-in spell check of Firefox is nice too. I was using IEspell, but it required an extra step. This feature alone may push me in the FF direction, as I don't think Chrome has it (or I don't have it turned on, or maybe it's an add-in).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Chrome has it. It's automatic as far as underline things to tell you it's misspelled, thank goodness it's not auto correct. That would be horrible.

EricJRW

Chief Petty Officer

I see it now... So now they both seem quite similar. May be my imagination, but Chrome seems a tad faster.