Angler 220

jocko_nc

Seaman
Hey all. Nice forums, glad I found them.<br /><br />I'm considering picking up a used Angler on a bank repo down in Florida. Appreciate your thoughts on both the boat and the repo gig.<br /><br />Angler 220 CC, Mariner 200XLOS. Tee Top.<br /><br />My goal was a solid, value priced fishing rig suitable for trailering. I plan to use on various NC lakes and take out to the sounds and/or islands. From what I have read over time, I ended up looking for Angler, Key West, Proline, Cobia, and Mako, though the latter seem a good bit more valuable.<br /><br />What do you think of Angler? What should I look for in a 1996? Is that a wood free hull?<br /><br />Do you have any horror stories regarding repo yards? Again, the boat is currently owned by a bank.<br /><br />FYI, the price is good. NADA says 12145 to 14900 low to average retail, respectively. I am thinking four figures.<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br /><br />Jocko

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Angler 220

jocko Angler used wood in their 96 hulls. I think they're a good boat. I'm on my second Angler. Check out the thread farther down this page on Angler Hull.

jocko_nc

Seaman

Yes. I did eventually see that post. Just wanting to make sure... I saw pics of the current production and the 1996. The patterns the two were laid up on must be identical, thus I was wondering.<br /><br />Second question then. Is the wood really a potential problem as this boat ages? Is it no big deal? I know Grady White used wood late into production as well. What are the criteria, I assume you are at the mercy of whoever was laying fiberglass that day. Water + Wood = &%^$&$.<br /><br />I guess I have the assumption that "no wood" is THAT big of a deal.<br /><br />Should I wait for a 2000 2001 to come available?<br /><br />Thanks again,<br /><br />Jocko

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

jocko I think it would be a good idea to have a marine surveyor check out any boat you're serious about. I wouldn't let the fact that a boat has wood scare me away.A boat built properly with wood stringers,transom etc. is better than a boat built improperly with composites.<br />I'm sure the molds for the 96 and the new boats are the same they just use composites now instead of wood in their construction.<br />Many companies still use wood in their boats.

CAPT.JOHNK

Recruit

I had a 1997 204 FS and was very well pleased with it. I sold it to my neighbor as I bought a 2002 22' Angler CC with a 150 hp Mercury. My neighbor is still using the boat and loves it. I love my 22 footer and haven't had a single problem with it. My only complaint is that I should have gotten the 200 hp outboard. I run in some nasty water and sure could use the extra 50 horses at times. Hope this helps.

johnyC

Recruit

I was an Angler dealer until 1993 . They made a very good boat. Went to the
plant in Fla. and saw their production line. They are a hand layed fiber boat,
very stiff. When we rigged these boats and cut thru the fiberglass and wood,
it was impressive. For our boat show displays the factory gave us the transom cutouts from the sterndrive installs. Customers were impressed. I'am also looking for the 230 center with the full transom. A 200 Yamaha and a T-top.
A best friend has a 2006 in Forked River and and she is a sweet running rigg.
I know the boat very well. Its also most important to get a survey before you
spend your hard earned money.

joe09

Cadet

i have a 204 fx bought new in 2008.it is a great boat ,a stable ,high ,dry ride.a lot of boat for the money.i looked at alot of the boats you posted above and thought the angler was better than any of those.in my opinion stay away from the new makos.they changed owners and are not the same boat.let us know how you make out.