angine cranks good spark but no start

viperman1

Cadet
i have a 74 merk 50 hp when i prime the bulb theres lots of gas spilling out the top of the motor and it will not start

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: angine cranks good spark but no start

Old fuel syndrome..<br />Tap the bowls with a screwdriver while someone pumps the primer bulb. If it quits,you should be ok..If not, the carbs must be removed and cleaned.<br />The floats are not pushing the needle valve shut once the bowls are full. It could be stuck or sunk floats, but it's usually the needle valve itself that is stuck open due to varnish in the bowl.

viperman1

Cadet

the motor sank in the water last year and i just tryed to start it is there any thing else that can be wrong

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

The added detail that it had sunk will be useful. Do a search as this subject has been thoroughly covered.

viperman1

Cadet

thanks i hav looked for simular stuff but most say that its a big problem but no specific things to look at or repair

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class

take out the plugs and put a spoon of oil in each plug hole. then try to turn the thing on top with all the teeth on it around, does the thing at the top of the motor turn? can you turn the motor by hand?

viperman1

Cadet

i cant turn it by hand but it will turn over with the battery fine

Trent

Captain

Fresh or saltwater? Saltwater...Junk it. Sell it for parts. This engine is only worth a couple of hundred if running....sorry<br /><br />However if you want it to run..Check for spark at all wires and put kits in the carbs and clean them really well for starters.