Anchors Away! (Anchor Questions)

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had an anchor thread a year or two back, but I have new specific info that will hopefully help you help me better this time around.

First, what I have is a 15' V hull bowrider, a ~1985 thundercraft. I don't fish, and I don't expect to do very much anchoring, except for one thing. I want to anchor my boat just off shore of some islands. These islands are in the ocean, so I need to anchor far enough off shore that the tide isn't going to beach my boat.

In my previous post, someone showed me these neat elastic anchor lines. So you could pull your boat to shore, then let it go and the elastic would pull back. But you need a second line with those. And you're not supposed to pull your anchor up by the elastic line, so you need a third line as well. I don't have a hell of a lot of space on my boat, plus these lines are all pretty expensive.

So I came up with an alternate method that seems simpler, and it should be easier for me to stow all the needed gear. I'd use one long line, and two anchors. I'd loop the rope through the first anchor and drop it 20 feet out or so. Then drive to shore, and pull the rope to pull the boat back out. Then tie the end of a rope to a second anchor on the beach. Then when it's time to go, I'd just do one of two things depending on the wind: If it's blowing in, i'll just untie the beach anchor and let the boat blow to shore. Or if the wind was going off shore, I'd just pull the line hard and yank the "deep" anchor to shore with the boat.

So my two main questions are: What kind / style of anchor would be best for each of these two tasks? I figure a simple cheap mushroom anchor would be fine for the beach anchor. I'm not sure what style would be good for the underwater anchor. I need something that can hold my small boat firm enough if there's a breeze or if a boat goes by and makes waves. But not an anchor that holds so strong that I can't drag the anchor up from the deep, from shore.

At this point, you're probably thinking "well it depends on what the bottom is like where you anchor". And I actually have an answer for that now, via the best boating picture I've taken in my life. It's a smooth sandy bottom with lots of loose gravel & seashells:

Question number two is, what size anchors do I need. I also have some helpful info on that. Specifically, my boat & trailer weigh 1860 pounds. I figure the trailer probably easily weighs 500 pounds, so the boat is probably around 1300 pounds. Here's a picture of the trailer to help you judge, and here's a top-down picture of my boat, because people tend to over-estimate how large the boat is from side-view pictures. It's not a large, heavy boat by any means.

So I was thinking of a "grappling" anchor for in the water, and like I said a small mushroom anchor for the beach. Or I may get some kind of pole style beach anchor for shore, depending on whichever style I think I can more easily store on the boat (space is tight).

Let me know what you think about A) the plan, B) the anchor styles and C) the weight I would want for each anchor.

I used to be better at drawing diagrams, but here's the basic theory:
diagramjp.jpg

coastalrichard

Lieutenant
Re: Anchors Away! (Anchor Questions)

You'll find danforth anchors work best in sand. I use two anchors to keep the boat floating above the bottom. I drop the stern anchor on approach and let the line pay out until I nudge the sand. Then bury the bow anchor in the sand and payout enough line to let the boat float off the beach; hop in and tighten up on the stern line to take up the slack. Make sure you put some chain on the anchors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anchors Aweigh?? It refers to an anchor retrieved from the bottom and adding weight to the vessel.

UncleWillie

Captain

... If it's blowing in, i'll just untie the beach anchor and let the boat blow to shore. Or if the wind was going off shore, I'd just pull the line hard and yank the "deep" anchor to shore with the boat.
diagramjp.jpg

If the wind is offshore, anchor #1 would not be needed.
If the wind is onshore, and you could pull in anchor #1 by hand, that would mean that it is NOT anchoring anything and the boat would already be on the beach.:eek:

Remember for anchor #1 to work, your scope is going to have to be at least 5:1.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If the wind is offshore, anchor #1 would not be needed.
If the wind is onshore, and you could pull in anchor #1 by hand, that would mean that it is NOT anchoring anything and the boat would already be on the beach.

Remember for anchor #1 to work, your scope is going to have to be at least 5:1.

:eek:

I think you are overthinking your anchoring. Willie is right.

Also you want to be bow-out if there are any waves coming your way. Stern anchoring into waves (or current) is generally a bad idea with sudden and irreversible consequences.

You say "ocean" and I assume you mean coastal waters but not an ocean beach with surf.

Keep in mind that for coastal and river boating, your anchor is your #1 safety equipment, more important IMO than any others. While mushrooms and other rigs are OK for light and special purposes, you need an anchor large enough and properly rigged for your conditions to keep your boat where it is when you break down. Once you have that anchor aboard, the rest is easy.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Don't give up on the bunji cords yet... If you have a farm/ranch supply store, you can buy bunji cord in whatever length you want for fairly cheap, and you can get whatever grade you want also. I have my anchor on a 20 ft bunji that stretches probably close to 100, and I also use it for raising the anchor without issue.

Vankaye

Seaman Apprentice

THAT is a great photo! I can make out the "Pru", the John Hancock, the Logan Control tower and even the Mystic River Bridge! (yes, I grew up in Boston)

How deep does the water get there? My advice is to use two GOOD anchors and get yourself a pair of water shoes to wade in and out to the boat. You should be vigilant of the tide. There is no system that can replace "situational awareness"

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

To select an anchor for its lack of holding ability is a new one. The long term solution for permanent beach anchoring in tidal areas is a single anchor-buoy-pulley system (which you are trying to emulate). To go ashore occasionally, while avoiding the consequences of an outgoing tide that leaves your boat hard aground, why not just get a tide table and plan your beach excursions accordingly.

DBreskin

If you're able to yank the anchor from shore to pull it in, it's probably not set well enough to hold the boat.

lakegeorge

I had an anchor thread a year or two back, but I have new specific info that will hopefully help you help me better this time around.

First, what I have is a 15' V hull bowrider, a ~1985 thundercraft. I don't fish, and I don't expect to do very much anchoring, except for one thing. I want to anchor my boat just off shore of some islands. These islands are in the ocean, so I need to anchor far enough off shore that the tide isn't going to beach my boat.

In my previous post, someone showed me these neat elastic anchor lines. So you could pull your boat to shore, then let it go and the elastic would pull back. But you need a second line with those. And you're not supposed to pull your anchor up by the elastic line, so you need a third line as well. I don't have a hell of a lot of space on my boat, plus these lines are all pretty expensive.

So I came up with an alternate method that seems simpler, and it should be easier for me to stow all the needed gear. I'd use one long line, and two anchors. I'd loop the rope through the first anchor and drop it 20 feet out or so. Then drive to shore, and pull the rope to pull the boat back out. Then tie the end of a rope to a second anchor on the beach. Then when it's time to go, I'd just do one of two things depending on the wind: If it's blowing in, i'll just untie the beach anchor and let the boat blow to shore. Or if the wind was going off shore, I'd just pull the line hard and yank the "deep" anchor to shore with the boat.

So my two main questions are: What kind / style of anchor would be best for each of these two tasks? I figure a simple cheap mushroom anchor would be fine for the beach anchor. I'm not sure what style would be good for the underwater anchor. I need something that can hold my small boat firm enough if there's a breeze or if a boat goes by and makes waves. But not an anchor that holds so strong that I can't drag the anchor up from the deep, from shore.

At this point, you're probably thinking "well it depends on what the bottom is like where you anchor". And I actually have an answer for that now, via the best boating picture I've taken in my life. It's a smooth sandy bottom with lots of loose gravel & seashells:

Question number two is, what size anchors do I need. I also have some helpful info on that. Specifically, my boat & trailer weigh 1860 pounds. I figure the trailer probably easily weighs 500 pounds, so the boat is probably around 1300 pounds. Here's a picture of the trailer to help you judge, and here's a top-down picture of my boat, because people tend to over-estimate how large the boat is from side-view pictures. It's not a large, heavy boat by any means.

So I was thinking of a "grappling" anchor for in the water, and like I said a small mushroom anchor for the beach. Or I may get some kind of pole style beach anchor for shore, depending on whichever style I think I can more easily store on the boat (space is tight).

Let me know what you think about A) the plan, B) the anchor styles and C) the weight I would want for each anchor.

I used to be better at drawing diagrams, but here's the basic theory:
diagramjp.jpg

Get a Danforth for the sand and a sand spike for the beach, they're much better than a mushroom and very light. Ours cost 23.95 and can be found on the net. They take up very little room also.

acarter92

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're able to yank the anchor from shore to pull it in, it's probably not set well enough to hold the boat.

Agreed, there is noooo way your pulling that anchor out from the beach, and if you do you need a different anchor.

Austin

l008com

What about weight? Nobody had mentioned that. Fluke style anchors are pretty large, i may only be able to fit a 6 pounder in what will be my engine compartment. Will that be big enough for a boat like mine.