Anchors and Chains.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yesterday lost my anchor with attached chain. The anchor was a cheap Seachoice 7E for up to 15 footer boats and a 1.5 meter 8 mm SS chain. Got stuck locked against something that will never know. Tried running the anchored boat in all possible 4 directions including CW-CCW 360 round turns to unlock the anchor. As was getting late with 0 avail had to cut the rope to free the Rib anchored at a depth of 10 meters. Will need to dive that anchoring combo when crystal waters permits.
Seachoice Utility 7E.JPG
A quick Amazon anchor search showed the current lost Seachoice 7E Utility 3.5 Lbs anchor at $ 26.00 bucks, latter came across a new type of anchor, an Aussi state of the art Cooper nylon anchors which digs very well in sand. For my anchoring requirements will need the medium size 2.2 Lbs anchor priced at $ 61.00.
Cooper 2.2 Lb Anchor.JPG
Plan ordering both, will check if the latter anchors much better than the Utility 7, if so plan selling the U-7 to cover most of the Cooper anchor cost. A 1.5 meter 8 mm chain and a 8 mm 30 meter rope roll will suffice to anchor well on non depth shores. Will post end results when arrives if someone wants to give the Cooper anchor a go...

Happy Boating

pelican*

Cadet
this type worked very well for me. amazon has it for 24.99 now.

Attachments

• 2,2 bruce type.png
    2,2 bruce type.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 2

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
this type worked very well for me. amazon has it for 24.99 now.
Thanks, 3 issues I'm considering not to opt for that type of anchor (1) Is bulkier than my previous Seachoice 7E flat folding anchor (2) the claws will end damaging my nice FRP deck finish 3) being bulky will surely rock sideways lying on deck when encountering wavy, windy water conditions. Price comes in second place, it's all about anchoring performance capabilities and if it's a light weight anchor the better. So far the 2.2 Lb Cooper has my vote...

Happy Boating

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My original anchor was a hook from a railroad car. Didn't look pretty but it worked. (Grandpa worked for the railroad).

When I grew up I tried many types and ended up swearing by a Danforth type fluke anchor. It worked in EVERY situation.

My favorite fishing spot is in the Saint Lawrence River, between USA and Canada. A true honey hole. Tons of fish caught there every year. BUTTTT, about every 3rd year I would lose an anchor.

One year , with zero winds and calm clear water I saw why. A cable underneath in about 30' of water. I also saw dozens of anchors down there. Many were probably mine......LOL.

Now I just suck it up, go fishing there anyway, and hope for the best.

The bottom line is that sometimes you just get stuck.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Have anchored many times thru the years in the beach where I lost my anchor and chain but not that far from the shore as in previous opportunities.

What bothers me deeply is that due to the rush to geting to terra firme as was getting late forgot to way point with a GPS exactly where the rope was cut, with just visual coordenades dailed in my head will be more difficult to dive the anchor/chain combo to recuperate both especially the SS chain. Have ordered the Cooper 2.2 Lb nylon anchor to try something different, should be operationlal around mid week to see how it went, fingers crossed...

30 feet is not that deep, hire someone to dive and recuparate all the anchors that you have seen stuck hoocked to that naughty cable. One nice anchor and SS chain should pay the diving fee. LOL!!

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Which of the 3 mentioned anchoring methods do the inflatable community is currently using, specify length of boat, chain and diameter and if works well for your type of beach, river, lake requirement which is ?

Anchoring Guide.JPG

Happy Boating

pelican*

Cadet
Option B is a good choice, chain and rode, a swivel to keep the twist out. coated chain for the S I B.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
The 2.2 Lb Cooper nylon anchor along the required components finally arrived, will assemble them later and test tomorrow on a flat sand bed, if all goes well, could be a nice alternative to much heavier metal anchors, fingers crossed!!

Cooper Anchor Set.JPG

Happy Boating

Blorton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking forward to hearing your results. I need to get something for my 19’ bowrider that is only on lakes and I just can’t bring myself to get the huge danforth that comes recommended. My bow storage bins just aren’t that big.

Chief Petty Officer
I have a danforth but don't use it. Nothing sharp stays inside my inflatable. I do use a 12lb river anchor. And also have a claw type as a backup.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I have a danforth but don't use it. Nothing sharp stays inside my inflatable. I do use a 12lb river anchor. And also have a claw type as a backup.
Have used small danforth types, all possible anchor's edges were rounded soon after with a metal file, these anchors are factory cut and welded in place and voila. For inflatable usage needs special attention or risk cutting your hand and or puncturing any inflatable tube...

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Final Assembly :

Blue Cooper 1.JPG

Tested the 2.2 Lb blue Cooper anchor in a sandy flat bottom with the following assembled specs : Sea bed depth 15 Ft, Rope Length 45 Ft, + 3.0 Kg Anchor, Shackle and 10 Ft/ 8 mm SS chain.

Blue Cooper 2.JPG

While the Admiral dropped the anchor and chain till reached the bottom, reversed the motor and released the 45 Ft rope for a 3 to 1 scope. The anchoring was instant, applied more reverse power to the motor to drag the anchor against the sea bed with no avail. These type of plow anchors anchors very well. Don't know if will end cutting the 8 mm SS chain to 1 meter as the Admiral was complaining about the extra chain weight. LOL!!

Other nice Cooper anchors : 1.5 Kg for up to 15 Ft boats

1.5 kG Cooper Anchor.JPG

Alum 3.5 Kg for up to 18 Ft boats.

3.5 Kg Alu Cooper Anchor.JPG

Correct Chain/Rope Scope it's a must select, check post 8. Although the chain diameter isn't mentioned, as a rule : the smaller the boat the thinner chain diameter, the larger the boat the thicker chain diameter. As always it's a must water test to assure for any boat to remain properly well anchored...

Happy Boating