Anchoring question

Jakem

Master Chief Petty Officer
I wasn't sure were to post this...my question is what size rope to anchor a 21 foot cruiser boat. My river anchor is about 40 pounds and I anchor in the river

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wasn't sure were to post this...my question is what size rope to anchor a 21 foot cruiser boat. My river anchor is about 40 pounds and I anchor in the river
1/2"

Enough rode for a 10:1 scope

Jakem

I anchor in about 30...to 60 feet of water...that's alot of rope

Chief Petty Officer
When you pull thin rode, your hands will get blisters.

Don't cheap out, get the thick stuff.

Then you'll only have to buy it once.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Add about 8-10 ft of Chain between the Rope and Anchor too.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW, my boat is 26 feet, my anchor has 8 feet of chain and only weighs 13#.

no need for a 40# anchor if you get the right anchor

I anchor in about 30...to 60 feet of water...that's alot of rope

on a calm day, you may only need a 3:1 scope
on a windy day you may only need a 7:1 scope
on a stormy day you will need the 10:1

so in a 60 foot depth, yes, you would need 600 feet of anchor line

figsjlp

Cadet
We have 3/8 inch nylon with 5 ft of chain. I mark mine every ten feet with little flags...

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there an unwritten rule that anchor rope should sink (in case you have to cut it loose) and ski/tow rope should float (to keep it out of the prop, etc.)? That's what I got from the boat PO, and it seems to make sense. He had the chain near the end too.

Jakem

I anchor in the tidal portion of the fraser river so on an outgoing it gets going pretty good

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A 40 lb, even a 20lb, is a of bit overkill, if 10:1 is used along with several feet of Chain

mike_i

I only do saltwater so I may way off base. That sounds like a very heavy anchor but if that's what you got use it. Pulling on it should be a days workout. The rule of thumb I was told at the coast guard class I took recommends 1 1/2 times the boat length of chain.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I only do saltwater so I may way off base. That sounds like a very heavy anchor but if that's what you got use it. Pulling on it should be a days workout. The rule of thumb I was told at the coast guard class I took recommends 1 1/2 times the boat length of chain.
Holy CARP.
If I had 28' of chain, I couldn't lift it, BUT... I wouldn't need an anchor. :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 1975 we liberated a Backhoe Bucket and used it on its Side as an Anchor, Even after 3 months of Breakers it didn't move more than 2 ft, and that was without chain. Was PIA to dig out of the sand at the End of the Season. used it until 78.
Is just sticking out of the water behind me

laura&boat.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
For a 26' boat I carry a 7# Fortress anchor, 25' of chain and 200' of line....and I am on a lake!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I anchor in the tidal portion of the fraser river so on an outgoing it gets going pretty good
I anchor in the river during tide change. With the proper scope and proper anchor, you won't move. You only need a 13# danforth anchor and appropriate chain. You do not need 40# of anchor