Anchoring Islander

Reming870

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased an older Starcraft Islander 191 and am curious how to anchor this from the bow without using the hatch. The bow is unreachable without the hatch and I was thinking of building some type of guide system for the anchor line.

If anyone has any ideas about this please let me know. Most of my fishing will be fast moving current so I am unformatable accessing the bow by walking around the rail.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Anchoring Islander

Welcome to iboats...lots of Starcraft fans around here. Islanders are my favorite boats but my 16' SS fits in the garage so that's what I've got for now:)

I'd recommend using a system like this one. You could mount the crank/spool of rope near the helm so that you can drop/retrieve the anchor without venturing out onto the bow.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Not meaning to hijack the thread but that looks like a great system. My question is towards how the anchor is held in place when it's up and stowed. I guess I'm not seeing it in that picture.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Not meaning to hijack the thread but that looks like a great system. My question is towards how the anchor is held in place when it's up and stowed. I guess I'm not seeing it in that picture.

No hijack here...you are on topic:)

I think the knob on the left side is a drag that tightens up so the anchor stays put. Similar to downriggers/fishing reels.

Maybe it has a ratchet type deal like trailer winches also.

The conical housing keeps the anchor from swinging around and denting the hull. I'm not sure if navy/danforth anchors work with those or just mushroom style.

I do know that I need one or two for my rig since passengers aren't always the best at setting anchors;)

IllesheimVet

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I owned a '84 191V Islander I used on inland lakes in Ga. and used a 19 Lb. mushroom anchor anchored from the stern. This would obviously not work on the Great Lakes or ocean. Never understood why someone would design a boat for the Great Lakes and not provide any provisions for anchoring. The 4" tall railing on the bow (yes, thats four inches) was pretty much useless, although it did give you something to grab after you slipped off the bow in the water! When I moved to the coast, I traded it in for a more salt-water user-friendly boat.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I just walked along the side of the cuddy and go to the front. Attach the anchor and drop it. My 2011 Islander had a high railing though.
I often found it much easier to use the hatch. Or my son would often drop it for me.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Holy Batman - What an old thread!

Plan3 - Please start a new conversation about anchoring a larger boat in current. Posting in an old thread means so many with the knowledge will never see it and offer advice. Thanks.