Anchor size for 24' boat

FliesAndFloats

Seaman Apprentice
Maxum 2400SD

I have currently a tiny, inadequate Danforth style anchor that came with the "coastguard" kit the dealer included with the boat purchase and a second #13 Danforth style anchor that I have managed to get caught on the bottom and bent the hell out of the spades getting it out. On that anchor I have about 6' of chain and 150ft of 1/2" double-braided rope. The big anchor held great, but storage is a bit of a bear. There's no chance of getting it in the anchor locker in the bow so I was storing it under one of the front seats alongwith the rope, which eats up a lot of the storage on the boat.

My question is whether a #8 should hold. I operate in saltwater and sometimes sleep on the boat or have it anchored a little off the beach to get lunch.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
an 8# anchor is a bit small for that boat. I would not be able to sleep on the boat anchored with such. What size does Danforth recommend?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
What anchor you need depends somewhat on where you are anchoring.

Note that the Danforth (large flukes relatively light weight) anchors require a chain between the anchor and anchor line to work properly.
Appx 1/4 weight of the anchor itself and 4X to 6X the length of the anchor will have you in the ballpark for the correct chain. Most people don't use enough chain. You can get away with less chain by letting out more line while setting the anchor. If in doubt... get a heavier and longer chain. Its there to force the line down so the pull is straight along the bottom as the anchor is setting into the mud/sand.
You also need appx 3X to 5X as much line out as depth while setting the anchor. These anchors are not operating based on weight, they are operating based on the flukes digging into the bottom.
The Danforth must slip some before the flukes will dig in securely.

To un-stick the Danforth, you begin pulling the line and SLOWLY drive the boat past the anchor while keeping the line free of slack. As you pass the anchor you'll pull it free.
Trying to just haul it up will be likely to snap your anchor line.
Sometimes there is a second line connection near/at the fluke pivot or on the side of a fluke. ATTACH THAT SECOND LINE and use it. Its for freeing the anchor if its stuck.

If the bottom is too hard and smooth for the Danforth to dig in... it just won't work.

Softer mud does need more fluke area for the Danforth to hold.

A dead weight anchor (Mushroom) needs to be HUGE to get the holding power of a Danforth that digs into the bottom... You'd need a VERY heavy anchor for that 24 ft boat if depending on dead weight.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What anchor you need depends somewhat on where you are anchoring.
/QUOTE]

That's the first thing to know- what's the bottom like where you boat? Pick the right type of anchor first, then determine size/weight. My Danforths have always worked great. I run a 13-punder with 20 feet of chain (overkill IMO. 10 feet would have been enough) on my boat and never had it slip in 25 mph winds and 35 mph gusts. BUT, the bottom in my area is sand/mud. That's where Danforths work best.

Scope is critical. One of our favorite anchoring spots s about 15 feet deep. I routinely deploy 80-90 feet of rode. I increase that to 120 when the wind is high.

My .02

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I tried an 8# anchor on a similar sized boat . . . it was a no go, even with 15 feet of chain. A 13# is what you will need . . . more chain is better, particularly for ocean waters.