anchor setup question

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an 18' cabin boat and want to set up my anchor so that i can drop it and retrieve it from one side of the the stern , while securing it somehow at the bow.
the gunnel around the cabin (about 5" wide there ) makes it too risky and difficult to edge my way around to the bow in choppy seas.

has anyone had success with this situation?

btw, i am NOT prepared to spend hundreds or thousands on a windlass type system.

there must be a way to set up something that works.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: anchor setup question

So you want to secure it at the bow, after you've dropped the anchor from the stern, and want to be able to do it without actually going to the bow? Hmmm.... I think this might work:
images

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you want to secure it at the bow, after you've dropped the anchor from the stern, and want to be able to do it without actually going to the bow? Hmmm.... I think this might work:
images

hey now that's funny.
as far as you know...

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

i already have this system.
it works great, too.

I'm not sure if I understand this system. I may be missing something on the website, but what does it do?

btw, glad you had a sense of humor on my previous post :)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

You'd need to at least mount a self-launching bow roller so you can keep and secure the anchor at the bow when it isn't deployed.

After that, you need a way to lead the anchor rode up the bow and around the cabin. CONCEPTUALLY, this isn't hard- consider large eye bolts or pulleys (check out sailboat hardware). I'm not recommending this- just throwing it out as food for thought. if the anchor snags, or the rode jams in a pulley you'll have new problems.

OR, do you have a good-sized bow hatch? If you do, and you mount the bow roller, you might be able to launch and retrieve from there.

My .02

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not sure if I understand this system. I may be missing something on the website, but what does it do?

btw, glad you had a sense of humor on my previous post :)

easy as pie.
clip the buoy ring to the anchor line and drive towards where the anchor is.
the anchor line slides thru the ring faster than the buoy can move until the anchor gets pulled right up to the ring. the anchor chain then hangs from the ring holding the anchor at the surface.

i had no confidence in this device till i finally tried it and now i'll probably always have it with me.
i pull my 20 lb fluke up off the bottom in 150 ft of water with no problem. then i just drive back towards the buoy where the anchor is hanging, pulling in the floating line as i go.

here's a you tube clip showing how it's done.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...2eK3Hxs4PnGKu_76g&sig2=Q8-qZjD43YK6UbUm-IM3Ag

i also found the link for the one i have on sale for $27.00. i paid 3 times that for mine.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=anchor+buoy+retrieval+system&cid=9565184690225809980#

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You'd need to at least mount a self-launching bow roller so you can keep and secure the anchor at the bow when it isn't deployed.

After that, you need a way to lead the anchor rode up the bow and around the cabin. CONCEPTUALLY, this isn't hard- consider large eye bolts or pulleys (check out sailboat hardware). I'm not recommending this- just throwing it out as food for thought. if the anchor snags, or the rode jams in a pulley you'll have new problems.

OR, do you have a good-sized bow hatch? If you do, and you mount the bow roller, you might be able to launch and retrieve from there.

My .02

i will look into a bow roller.
and yes, i have a good size hatch. i could possibly pay out and retrieve that way. good idea. you might have something there.
thanks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

for simple anchoring, set the line from the bow, but tie a line about 15' down the anchor line from the bow cleat. Tie the other end of that line to your midships cleat (or use a longer line and go to the stern). That line will be a spring line on your anchor; it should hang loose. Use it to bring the anchor line to the stern area and pull it up from there.
This wirks only if you always put out the same length of anchor line, which stays attached. it will require one trip to the bow to set it up, and require you to cruise with the anchor and line in the cockpit.

BrianBSHS

Cadet

I just kind of crawl through the cabin in my 18footer and cast from the cabin, then throw the rope to the stern and tie it off from the bow and the stern.

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just kind of crawl through the cabin in my 18footer and cast from the cabin, then throw the rope to the stern and tie it off from the bow and the stern.

i didn't exactly follow that...do you mean you run it thru a roller or an eye at the bow and pull it thru to tie off on a stern cleat?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

for simple anchoring, set the line from the bow, but tie a line about 15' down the anchor line from the bow cleat. Tie the other end of that line to your midships cleat (or use a longer line and go to the stern). That line will be a spring line on your anchor; it should hang loose. Use it to bring the anchor line to the stern area and pull it up from there.
This wirks only if you always put out the same length of anchor line, which stays attached. it will require one trip to the bow to set it up, and require you to cruise with the anchor and line in the cockpit.

i fish off the coast in a variety of depths, so one length won;t do.
is there a way to use that system in a variety of depths?

brichey

Cadet

I too have an old Glasspar with an inaccessible bow. Here's what I did. I ran the anchor line thru the eye of the cleat located at the bow. When the anchor is in the boat, the anchor end of the line runs back along the deck to a port-side cleat (to keep the line taught) that I can reach from the cockpit. When stowed, the anchor is placed on the port side of the cockpit. The loose end of the line runs back along the deck to a starboard-side cleat near the helm. I keep the loose line coiled just aft of the helm. After releasing the line from the port-side cleat, I throw the anchor out off the port side. Since the line runs thru the eye of the cleat at the bow, it catches there and finds its natural splot between the two curved pieces that are mounted on either side of the bow cleat. I adjust the amount of line from the starboard side and then tie it off at the starboard-side cleat. To pull the anchor back in, I let out a little slack and use a telescoping boat hook to snag the line from the port side. My boat is only 16 feet, so it's not too hard to reach the slack line from the cockpit. You just have to be careful to not let out too much line and get it tangled in the prop. I have a nicely polished cleat at the bow. The first image shows the line running forward from the starboard side, thru the eye of the cleat and then back to port. The second shows how the anchor line will project out from the bow once thrown over the port side.
anchor1.jpg
anchor2.jpg

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Brichey,
If I hadn't already done exactly the same thing I wouldn't have a clue what your post was describing. Well done!
I have added one modification-Since I use my boat for work and anchor in relatively deep water, ( 170 ft. ) I have about 400 ft of anchor line paid out that was really hard to retrieve, and pulling up an oversized danforth anchor isn't something I want to do ever again. So I got one of those anchor retrieval systems that uses a buoy.( Google it ) Now I just snap the buoy on the line and drive towards and past the anchor lie till the anchor gets pulled to the surface, where it stays, snagged on the buoy ring until I pull it in.
Beautiful and effortless! Thanks for your post.

brichey

Cadet

I will definitely look into the anchor retrieval systems you and others mentioned. Thanks. I mostly anchor in much shallower water; but still, it looks like a great idea.

Just in case others stumble across this thread and are interested. I forgot to include that I added a U bolt to keep any loose line from snagging on the fuel intake fixture on the starboard side. I also included a crude diagram.

anchor4.jpg
anchorsetup1.jpg

Downloaded 07-05-12 040 compressed.jpgI found this thread while looking for a place to store my anchor on my open bow boat. (I came across the anchor retrieval system and that is WAY COOL!). However, I need advice. When I bought my boat the Danforth was stored in the bow's well (livewell?). There were no seat cushions there, so I mFishing from the open bow July 2012.jpgade some when we recently recovered all my seat cushions. But my Danforth is too large to sit down under the seat cushion. And I'd rather not have it under-foot, just sitting on the bow deck. So, has anyone mounted their Danforth on a small, open bow boat?

roscozen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Paul,
Nice pics. if you're gonna sick with fresh water, why not switch to a different anchor more suitable for your boat. A danforth is kinda overkill , IMHO. They also make really small danforths, too.
And no, I never found a good place for an anchor like that when I had a boat like this.

Hi Paul,
Nice pics. if you're gonna sick with fresh water, why not switch to a different anchor more suitable for your boat. A danforth is kinda overkill , IMHO. They also make really small danforths, too.
And no, I never found a good place for an anchor like that when I had a boat like this.

TY for the reply. Yes, freshwater lakes only, but sometimes the wind can get pretty strong. Maybe I'll look at a claw or plow. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.