Anchor Line Storage

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anchor Line Storage

I tell ya... I learn so much here, I ough to be paying you guys. I noticed last weekend on Lake Erie that boats docked near shore all looked like they backed in. I thought it would be so much easier to pull in straight. Now I know why. So I guess you back in, drop bow anchor, let the boat drift towards shore a bit to set the bow anchor then drop stern anchor? Something like that?

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's common, and almost required, to use a stern anchor (along witha bow anchor) when anchoring up to the ICWW and river islands here. The stern faces the shore, and the bow faces out. With the bow facing out, waves and wakes don't hit the boat broadside.

That would fall under the "benign" use of a stern anchor. Anchoring from the stern in current or seas is asking for trouble.

Yes, the poor NFL guys, having lost a cheap anchor the day before, did not want to loose another so tied it from the stern and then tried to pull it free, wrong! There were three millionaires on the boat, two died for a cheap anchor, so sad.

I store my anchor on a bow rail bracket and three hundred plus feet of rode plus chain in a bucket in the forward storage locker.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tell ya... I learn so much here, I ough to be paying you guys. I noticed last weekend on Lake Erie that boats docked near shore all looked like they backed in. I thought it would be so much easier to pull in straight. Now I know why. So I guess you back in, drop bow anchor, let the boat drift towards shore a bit to set the bow anchor then drop stern anchor? Something like that?

More or less, yes, I would not anchor stern out in that circumstance, just me, other may vary, others may sink also. :D

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

So if it doesn't seem like I'm asking too many dumb questions, let me ask you this. You're setting a bow anchor and a stern anchor. You're able to set the bow anchor by allowing the current to carry you backwards, or I assume powering backwards if needed. Then you drop the stern anchor. How can you get it set? Can't power forward. And if the current isn't moving forward, it won't pull you forward. So the stern anchor drops basically straight down and don't get set, or really do much of anything.

Never set 2 anchors.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I figured it was useful information that goes along with the topic.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

I'm liking that kitty litter bucket idea, I am getting tired of constantly tying the anchor line up in a neat coil. I will make room in the front storage locker and give it a try!;)

BTW I use these style of carabiners on my anchor chain, the large sizes are very strong and come in stainless also. For a smaller boat they work fine, the locking ones would be better for a large boat or open ocean/large wave usage.

carabin1.jpg

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer

So if it doesn't seem like I'm asking too many dumb questions, let me ask you this. You're setting a bow anchor and a stern anchor. You're able to set the bow anchor by allowing the current to carry you backwards, or I assume powering backwards if needed. Then you drop the stern anchor. How can you get it set? Can't power forward. And if the current isn't moving forward, it won't pull you forward. So the stern anchor drops basically straight down and don't get set, or really do much of anything.

Never set 2 anchors.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but I figured it was useful information that goes along with the topic.

Nitsuj,

The basic premise is that you have a longer anchor rode in the bow ie. a storm anchor, as you come into your anchorage drop and set the bow anchor,then back down an appropriate distance to drop the stern anchor. Now you can heave in on the forward rode as the after line pays out. Always leave more scope on the bow anchor. Scope is the ratio of line paid out in relation to the distance from the top of your bows to the bottom of whatever body of water you happen to be in.
As an example: Let's say you're anchoring in 5 feet of water and the freeboard of your craft is 3 feet ( freeboard is the height of the boat from the waterline to the top of the gunwales ) so you have a total distance of 8 feet. In fair conditions, I use a minimum scope of 4:1 so in this case around 32 feet of anchor rode.....mostly I would use less on the stern anchor, maybe 2 or 3 to 1.
As the conditions deteriorate ( wind or seas increase ) You'll need to increase the scope on the bow anchor.:)

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jeff, while the stern may be a convenient place to store the anchor, it is seldom a good idea to anchor there.

Great observation/advice. I've spent over 1,000 nights at anchor and have a pretty good idea when the stern anchor would be dangerous. Nice thing about swinging from the stern is that the breeze comes into the cockpit. And if you're one of those who have trouble with the sound of the waves slapping the hull while trying to sleep, a stern anchor eliminates all that 'noise'.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never set 2 anchors.

You drop the bow anchor, swing the boat in with more bow rode out than required, drop stern anchor and then pull forward (hand or power) to play out the stern rode. Usually we are only in a few feet of water when anchoring this way so we are not talking about large amounts of rode. There is a device called an anchor buddy I use sometimes, I use it on my stern anchor, it is an elastic rope that helps keep tension.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

Most of the time, when we anchor from the stern, I do it manually. I set the bow anchor as normal, hop out, and set the stern anchor where I want it. It's usually in 2-3 feet of water (depending on what the tide's doing at that time), so it's no problem. Sometimes, I tie off on a stump or branch or just set the anchor on the beach. I'd rather the stern anchor lose its 'grip' if need be. What we're trying to avoid is the stern swinging out due to a tide change and having a wake or wave hit it. I don't think I've ever anchored anywhere in over 20 feet of water max (usually around 6' or less).

special_kaye

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anchoring on one of the thousands of beaches down here in Florida is done pretty much that way. Set the bow, pay out line while backing toward the beach. Careful of your motor, raise it when you need too. Either set the stern anchor, or walk it up onto the beach and set it by hand. Then haul in on the bow line while letting out the stern a bit. Holds your boat very nicely while still giving you great access to the beach. By the way, it's usually easier to get into the boat from the lower stern so when you have the Admiral or kids with you, makes it MUCH easier on them. And, anything that makes their life easier really makes your life easier.