Anchor Line Storage

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman
I've got 100' of line and about 7' of chain attached to my anchor. I don't have a real anchor locker, so I keep it in the front storage (fish box?). This is on a 17' cc. I can neatly coil the rope and lay the chain and anchor on it, and it will stay somewhat tangle-free. After using the anchor and retrieving it, it's next to impossible for me to quickly get it back in the locker neatly. I'm thinking of mounting an anchor bracket somewhere in the bow area (maybe on the rail), but that doesn't help with the line. Short of a bracket for the anchor and a bucket for the line and chain, how do other handle this?

HappierWet

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anchor Line Storage

I would suggest taking your time and doing it right. Keep everything neat and shipshape at all times. If I get into a big hurry that's when something gets fouled up.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use the fish locker at the stern for my rode.​

IMG_2487.jpg

You don't have to coil it neatly - just feed it in and let it lay as it will.​

And I get a lot of flack for not using chain on my anchor, but it makes it much easier to manage.​

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I stow both of my anchors under the front center bow.

I coil the line (not the chain) the length of the anchor, the use a velcro strap to hold it. Then I grad the chain, opposite end of the coil and velcro that to the anchor eyelet. Lay it in the hold and then repeat with the other. I can move them around or pull one out from the bottom and neither gets messed up.

When it is time to use them, undo the velcro at the anchor, hold it over the side, undo the other velcro, hold the line and toss.

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 300ft of line with six ft of chain. Since I have diamond plating in front of the windshield the anchor and chain just rest in the foredeck. For the line I use an empty cat litter bucket which works surprisingly well.

QC

Supreme Mariner

And I get a lot of flack for not using chain on my anchor, but it makes it much easier to manage.
Ohhhhhh . . . It's easier without chain. Got it . . . :p Sorry, couldn't help it :D

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I have 2 anchors and line. I have a quick line on each anchor chain to attach the line. That way, once I haul it all in, I can quickly remove the line from the anchor. There is a small storage compartment in the bow I can fit the anchors in. Then I neatly coil the line and stick it in the storage box under the bow seats.

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

I have 2 anchors and line. I have a quick line on each anchor chain to attach the line. That way, once I haul it all in, I can quickly remove the line from the anchor. There is a small storage compartment in the bow I can fit the anchors in. Then I neatly coil the line and stick it in the storage box under the bow seats.

What kind of disconnects do you use on the chain? This is what I'm leaning towards doing, actually.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You can find roller davits for the bow, they look good being stainless steel.
as for a locker for the line and chain, could you mount an older plastic cooler?
rob:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

jeffnick;2333709 [LEFT said:
You don't have to coil it neatly - just feed it in and let it lay as it will.[/LEFT]

Ditto that. When I first started out I always tried to coil it neatly so it looked nice. It always tangled the next time I had to feed it out.

Now, with both my anchors, I simply let the line drop into the storage space as I retrieve it, and it always feeds back out again the same way w/o tangling or knotting.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

What kind of disconnects do you use on the chain? This is what I'm leaning towards doing, actually.

Just quick links. Few bucks at any hardware store. Look like this:
kq8g9.jpg

Edit: I resized the pic, so that we don't have scroll issues. Max 640 x 480 seems best, QC

QC

Supreme Mariner

I use those too ^^^^^ as I have a shallow water setup with a buoy attached that I leave in the water if I am going back and forth to the same spot, and then my standard 150' for everything else. I don't think they are quick enough though so I always reattach my primary or a spare to the long rode so that I can react quickly in an emergency . . . ;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Jeff, while the stern may be a convenient place to store the anchor, it is seldom a good idea to anchor there.

I might get a bracket for the bow rail for moving from spot to spot; although I have an anchor locker it is too small for convenient repeated use.

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeff, while the stern may be a convenient place to store the anchor, it is seldom a good idea to anchor there.

I might get a bracket for the bow rail for moving from spot to spot; although I have an anchor locker it is too small for convenient repeated use.

Stern anchoring is a good way to wind up on the bottom or capsized.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, may I ask why it's so bad to stern anchor? I've been anchoring off the bow because it's where I keep the anchors and I have a cleat there. But I didn't even know it was that bad to anchor from the stern. So why is it bad?And what if I want to use 2 anchors. Can one be off the bow and one be off the stern then?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Most boats/ships are higher in the bow as well as having a pointy end to cut through the waves, If you anchored stern first which is usually blunt ended, you could possibly take on more water.
my take on it:)
rob

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Makes sense. Worries me a bit though. My boat doesn't have a pointy end. It's blunt on both ends. ;-)

IMG_1603.jpg

high'n'dry

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, may I ask why it's so bad to stern anchor? I've been anchoring off the bow because it's where I keep the anchors and I have a cleat there. But I didn't even know it was that bad to anchor from the stern. So why is it bad?And what if I want to use 2 anchors. Can one be off the bow and one be off the stern then?

The NFL players who went into the Gulf out of Tampa earlier this year were pulling an anchor from the stern. The anchor and engine thrust pulled the stern down and then waves broke over it swamping the boat and it rolled over, capsized.

Stern anchorage except for beach anchoring or other benign conditions is not wise. The stern simply does not have the lift that the bow has and tends to go down rather than up and over.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Ah. Makes perfect sense. So then the football players, they were trying to pull the anchor out with the engine? And this caused the rear of the boat to drop then swamp. I could see that.

So, is the no stern anchoring rule more for ocean and great lake use? Is it something to worry about on a smooth river and when not powering the anchor up?

DavidInWilmNC

Seaman

It's common, and almost required, to use a stern anchor (along witha bow anchor) when anchoring up to the ICWW and river islands here. The stern faces the shore, and the bow faces out. With the bow facing out, waves and wakes don't hit the boat broadside.